E-Trac Trash Setting...LOW!

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The purpose of Trash Density is to avoid having Disc'd out (rejected) targets from displaying on the TID. That is, if the stronger signal under the coil is an object that registers in the black area (rejected), Trash Density High will ignore it and display whatever is the strongest "accepted" target. In High only non-rejected targets are displayed - all the blacked out areas essentially are removed as possible display areas. So, if a rejected ferrous junk target is making the TID display down near the bottom because it is overpoweringly strong, you could miss the good non-ferrous target that is also under the coil. In High there is no response to the rejected ferrous and this gives the non-ferrous target a chance to be displayed (assuming you haven't Disc'd out the area where the good target falls too).

At what point do you need to have the cursor visibly alert you to Disc'd targets? If you want to hear the detector beep on Disc'd targets why would you black them out? So, there is no reason to put Trash Density on Low. Keep it on High all the time. If you use QuickMask in open (no Disc) then it doesn't make any difference - but if you use some Disc then High is the only choice.

The Trash Density setting has no affect on audio - only on the TID (Disc'd areas do not produce audio anyway but they do allow the cursor to move over them). Essentially Trash Density High puts the black areas into a protected mode that the cursor can't touch or stop on.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I have been running my e trac for over a year, and can say that NOTHING finds good targets next to and/or in the same hole with junk as having your "trash density" set to HIGH. With it set to low you will find the junk not the coins.....you need to believe what you are hearing here as it be the truth......however if you wish to remain contrary on this subject, please let me know where you are hunting, I would love to follow you around and pick up the stuff you will miss.
I hunt in Europe, and in good spots after Explorer or Etrac use different detectors. for small and very small targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread