Killer Bs on the Sovereign GT.

JASONSPAZ1

Oct 21, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
I have had them all but currently use a Makro Multi Kruzer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer B's on the Sovereign GT.

According to Minelab and videos I have seen by Des Dunne, of Minelab. Headphones to be used on the Sovereign GT should be of a 32ohm variety. Most of the quality headphones are usually of a 150ohm variety.
Do any of you use Killer B's headphones on the Sovereign GT. I would like to hear your opinions on them. Do the tones sound distinguished enough?

Thanks so much in advance
HH
Jason

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've a pair of Killer B's (ST Optima's) and they are now my favourite headphones and work very well. Part of the ohm arguement is not really about performance which when it comes down to it is what matters but effect on battery life. High impedance can sound worse and will certainly reduce battery life. Low impedance sound better if the detectors output is on the low side.
Only other complication is the material used in the headphone cones. Most expensive headphones have mylar cones and mylar cones ability to stand up to damp outdoor conditions comes at the price of not providing the best tones.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both Jolly Roger & Black Widow headphones on the GT with excellent sound quality.

OP
OP
JASONSPAZ1

JASONSPAZ1

Oct 21, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used both Jolly Roger & Black Widow headphones on the GT with excellent sound quality.

Thanks Sandman. Do the jolly Rogers have the same Ohm settings as the Killer B's. I am so hung up on a video by Des Dunne where he said you have to use 32ohm headphones on the Sovereign GT. I like my killer B's as the quality is great. It seems that most 32 Ohm headphones are on the cheaper side. So confused.
Thanks for your help.
HH

Jason

OP
OP
JASONSPAZ1

JASONSPAZ1

Oct 21, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Brian. So you do have killer B's that you use with your GT. Are they the single volume control? I am not sure what you mean by ( ST Optima) I just wanted to know if anyone else is disregarding the call to use 32ohm headphones on their GT

Thanks for the reply.
HH
Jason
I've a pair of Killer B's (ST Optima's) and they are now my favourite headphones and work very well. Part of the ohm arguement is not really about performance which when it comes down to it is what matters but effect on battery life. High impedance can sound worse and will certainly reduce battery life. Low impedance sound better if the detectors output is on the low side.
Only other complication is the material used in the headphone cones. Most expensive headphones have mylar cones and mylar cones ability to stand up to damp outdoor conditions comes at the price of not providing the best tones.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, I bought them as ST Optima's but the label on the end just says "ST". Two volume controls. Really comfortable ear muffs on them that seem to last without the cracking of the material that happens with some other brands.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you SandMan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread