Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless it somehow breaks, I will never own another machine other than my safari. It is a monster.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
same here, I all but stopped lusting after the higher end machines once I started swinging my safari. I was in the process of saving for an etrac when a member here listed the safari used at a good price. I decided I'd rather get a good detector sooner, and can always upgrade if I find something good.

The giant coil the safari comes with covers a lot of turf each swing which can become frustrating in heavy trash/iron. I put a 5" "excelerator" coil on it in that situation, and it can cherry pick small targets all day long, with a bit less depth power as the big coil. Great detector all around. Honestly the only thing I wish it had was a better display with backlighting and better LCD that looks less like a calculator's. It's audio tones are more pleasant to my ears than other machines that beep obnoxiously which is also nice.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same here, I all but stopped lusting after the higher end machines once I started swinging my safari. I was in the process of saving for an etrac when a member here listed the safari used at a good price. I decided I'd rather get a good detector sooner, and can always upgrade if I find something good.

The giant coil the safari comes with covers a lot of turf each swing which can become frustrating in heavy trash/iron. I put a 5" "excelerator" coil on it in that situation, and it can cherry pick small targets all day long, with a bit less depth power as the big coil. Great detector all around. Honestly the only thing I wish it had was a better display with backlighting and better LCD that looks less like a calculator's. It's audio tones are more pleasant to my ears than other machines that beep obnoxiously which is also nice.

That's also what makes it so special though. It's simplicity for such an amazing device. You literally learn from it because of its distinct audio tones. The backlight isn't great but I've never had a problem seeing things. I'm almost positive the machine has a nose for silver, lol. I've had many machines in the past, and I've never had issues with selling them to upgrade. This one isn't going anywhere.

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me this is a pretty encouraging thread. I just bought a Safari and I'm itching to try it out. I've read more positive posts about the Safari than negative. I can't qualify myself as an expert, but I've been detecting about 14 years with an Excalibur and lately with a Garrett 2500, and an AT gold. Because of the weather* here in the upper elevations I haven't been able to use the Safari yet, but I've air-tested it on everything from gold rings to watches, bus tokens, and as many coins as I can find. Mind you, I understand air-testing is no definitive way to evaluate a detector, but even in my electronically noisy house it impressed me. Totally subjective I know, but I don't think I wasted my money.

* Its snowing as I post this. Forecasts call for 5 to 10 inches.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
For me this is a pretty encouraging thread. I just bought a Safari and I'm itching to try it out. I've read more positive posts about the Safari than negative. I can't qualify myself as an expert, but I've been detecting about 14 years with an Excalibur and lately with a Garrett 2500, and an AT gold. Because of the weather* here in the upper elevations I haven't been able to use the Safari yet, but I've air-tested it on everything from gold rings to watches, bus tokens, and as many coins as I can find. Mind you, I understand air-testing is no definitive way to evaluate a detector, but even in my electronically noisy house it impressed me. Totally subjective I know, but I don't think I wasted my money.

You can not go wrong with a Safari..

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wish I was where you are. It's 91 here and 95 percent humidity. Early morning or water hunting is all I do this time of year

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It will be great to you. Read up on the manual and take good care of it! Let your ears adjust to the sounds, and even though the numbers are promising on the screen, let the sounds guide you more. Thats what makes this machine such a beast. That's my advice.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Safari is a great detector that is overlooked. Just remember if it sounds good dig it. Yes it is a little slow reacting but just go slow and you will find what others have missed.....

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I was where you are. It's 91 here and 95 percent humidity. Early morning or water hunting is all I do this time of year
Trade you places for a couple weeks, Fletch. :laughing7:

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Bret and Timelord. At my age I don't have a choice but to go slow!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I plan on adding an FBS detector to my arsenal. From what I have learned I will be looking for a used Explorer SE or E Trac. No sense in going to another technology and only getting a 2 digit VDI. I believe the 4 digit will give a better ID. JMHO

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on adding an FBS detector to my arsenal. From what I have learned I will be looking for a used Explorer SE or E Trac. No sense in going to another technology and only getting a 2 digit VDI. I believe the 4 digit will give a better ID. JMHO

The FE/CO numbers are great,and it's counterpart,the Smart Screen which shows the 2 dimensional reading...whatever FBS you choose,you CANT go wrong,really. Once you've gotten one and actually LEARNED how to use it(which I'm part of the way there!)the thing will blow your mind. I've never seen so many coins come from such depths or out of complete garbage dumps. The trash is where it's at,if you have the patience and good settings. Let us know what you wind up getting for sure!

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My collected database of multiple detector tests show these results on Jewelry (lower is better):

Jewelry%20Targets%20Brooch%20Chain%20Ring%20Earrings%20in%20DISC%20GND.jpg

My database on a variety of coin targets. Too many detectors, so it takes two plots to get them all in.

Coin%20Targets%20in%20DISC%20GND%20first%20108%20detectors1.jpg

Coin%20Targets%20in%20DISC%20GND%20last%20108%20detectors2.jpg

On a variety of silver coins using discrimination with target in the ground (not air testing):
DISC%20GND%20-%20Silver%20Coins%20with%20all%20Coil%20sizes.jpg

Someone else's detector testing ... next four plots I put together in plot form for convenience of other detectorists' use:
DetectorDepthResults-CombinedHighampLowMinerals_zps41a5b4ef.jpg

DetectorRecoverySpeed_zpse7a7b3a2.jpg

DetectorDepthResults-AvgMinerals_zps0829d769.jpg

DetectorDepthResults-HighMinerals_zps9c6bc249.jpg

If the results are not what you'd hope it may be because of a limited number of testing tries on a particular target (meaning some targets are heavily tested while others have much fewer results) as more tests help control the outliers (averaging toward the center). Since different coil sizes were used during the tests by different people (each test was unrelated to the others - different people, different time, different soil) it was necessary to normalized the coil sizes to yield meaningful results and make an even comparison, however this introduces some degree of error, so take it all with a grain of sand.

Jackalope

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've had 2 CTX, 2 explorers and an Etrac. I now have the Safari and like it as much as any of the others. Being able to run in coin mode (conductive audio) and then press one button to go to all metal (ferrous audio) is all you need to investigate targets. It has the same depth and a great silver warble as good the Etrac IMO.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had 2 CTX, 2 explorers and an Etrac. I now have the Safari and like it as much as any of the others. Being able to run in coin mode (conductive audio) and then press one button to go to all metal (ferrous audio) is all you need to investigate targets. It has the same depth and a great silver warble as good the Etrac IMO.

Fletch...I've noticed if I use ALL the tones available(50 tone on the CTX,31 on EX2?,I forgot....) I get the "warble" on certain coins,and silver has its own deal going on,don't know why. Every time I hit a silver dime at 7" or better,it's has that certain quality to the tone that sounds like it's "wavering". I'm beginning to think it's a Minelab thing and it has to do with FBS in general. Sweet sound,the first time you hear it and RECOGNIZE it you'll never forget it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions