Thinking of upgrading to Explorer 2

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have a Whites MXT which I have used with some success. I am thinking of upgrading to an Explorer 2. I don't do very much coin hunting and am usually in the woods or in the fields. Should I consider this a good upgrade? Are there any drawbacks to using this machine in this environment? All opinions welcome!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Explorer II is an excellent detector for everything but underwater. However, I think you should study the Explorer SE also.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
The Explorer II is an excellent detector for everything but underwater. However, I think you should study the Explorer SE also.
the xs aint to shabby look at bscofeild he does well with his (even if aint isnt a word)
also save you a few/300 hundred bucks

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at the SE as well...anyone know of the learning curve on the Ex2 and the ExSE? Thanks!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people say the learning curve is steep, an others take to it easiely. Just depends if you VCR is still having the time blink.

HH,
Sandman

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, :D good one SM..I was always amazed at how many did just blink.....

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Well if you are mostly "digging everything" then you probably don't need the upgrade. You might get a little deeper with the Exp II. The stock coil on the Exp II is good for wacking weeds and pushing tall grass down. The whites coil is fairly light and does not really do a good job at pushing sticks, weeds, etc. The MXT is a nicely balanced machine and not as heavy.
The DD coil on the ExpII makes for better coverage vs the stock whites 9.5 concentric coil. So there are some advantages to the Exp II.

Now for the learning curve - going from a White's to a Minelab is going to take some time. Yes it will take a few months but if you are going to have it for years it is worth the learning curve. It took me about 6 months(hunting on av. 6-8 hrs a week) to learn the Quattro(my first minelab machine) well. It took me about 2-3 months to go from the Quattro to Exp II.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words Baron.

The XS, 2, and SE are all basically the same machines except for a few differences in how they look and some slight software modifications. But as far as field tests go the SE or 2 doesnt go any deeper than the XS. I use the first model, the XS, and can't ask for a better machine. If you have plenty of cash to spend then by all means go buy a new SE. Then make your first purchase the Sunray probe for it. You will thank me later, haha.

Mirage is right on the money about the stock coil being an excellent weed wacker.

I think the learning curve depends on where you are hunting and who teaches you the machine.

But once you find your first deep indian head penny you will feel like you can accomplish anything with this machine!

Get it... take the time to learn it.... and post your great finds! :)

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Buy the explorer and within three weeks you'll be digging indians at 10+ inches. These machines will go deep. Down side they are heavy but you'll get use to it..Pinpointing is a little tricky with the ExpII. The sunray probe helps out tremendously...I traded my DFX a few months back and haven't had a single regret. Coins around here are deep and those couple extra inches is just what I needed. Now if you don't plan on digging coin size targets deeper than six inches than keep the Whites.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled the trigger...the Explorer SE in on it's way... ;D...I am giddy with anticipation!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ILLINOISDOUG said:
Buy the explorer and within three weeks you'll be digging indians at 10+ inches. These machines will go deep. Down side they are heavy but you'll get use to it..Pinpointing is a little tricky with the ExpII. The sunray probe helps out tremendously...I traded my DFX a few months back and haven't had a single regret. Coins around here are deep and those couple extra inches is just what I needed. Now if you don't plan on digging coin size targets deeper than six inches than keep the Whites.

10+ inch deep indians? Sounds like a bit of a stretch to me. We have similar soil here in Indiana and they are rarely any deeper than 8" here.

I hunted in Illinois a few weeks back in a park that has been hammered by other explorer users and we found 2 shield nickels, 2 indians, and 3 wheats between 3 of us with explorer. None of the coins were deeper than 6".

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
You hunted in Illinois a few weeks ago and didnt find an indian at 10 inches, therefor no one in Illinois can find an indian at 10+ inches. LOL...Whatever dude...sounds like you guys need to learn your machines a little better, probably missing some awesome finds...facts are facts, and I have dug a few indians at 10 inches, plain and simple. Though, the norm around here is about 6-8 inches.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cue the theme from ROCKY
ILLINOISDOUG said:
You hunted in Illinois a few weeks ago and didnt find an indian at 10 inches, therefor no one in Illinois can find an indian at 10+ inches. LOL...Whatever dude...sounds like you guys need to learn your machines a little better, probably missing some awesome finds...facts are facts, and I have dug a few indians at 10 inches, plain and simple. Though, the norm around here is about 6-8 inches.
using the whites or the ML?

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Baron, the deepest I ever found with the DFX was nine inches. There wasnt much of a signal, more of a "tick". But I could get the tick from all directions so I dug it. I actually lost the signal after about 7 inches down, but I could still pinpoint it. I dug two at 10 inches with the EXPII. Now, these were better signals, but by no means a "text book" signal. These were found in the park I hunt up your way. I think I mention it to you when you were down in this area. I am still digging some old ones out of there. Got two indians last week (about six inches) and a seated dime (about seven inches) a month or two ago. The park has never failed me, I either get silver or indians or both. The only problem is, its close to an hour drive for me

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ILLINOISDOUG said:

I never said that you couldn't. But the way you made the statement was like that if you had an explorer you would automatically be finding 10" deep indians all over the place.

I should learn my machine a little better? hmmm....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relax guys. I have run into detectors that were super deep because of abnormalities in the way they were assembled or a promo coil was installed by mistake. These machines mainly burned themselves out somehow never to be the same after they were sent in for repairs. In my experience most coins don't migrate down to these deep 10 inch plus levels unless there is fill dirt. I am very happy to only have to retrieve targets from six inches as the deeper ones aren't any older and just harder to get out without messing up the grass.

HH,
Sandman

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
I've had my Exll for a few years and I love it. The learning curve was about a year when moving from my GMH CXlll to this one. I find that the 5" coil will net some great finds in trashy areas. Depth is great on the stock coil and depends on many environmental factors. I have no regrets learning to use the Minelab EXll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread