Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a used Minelab SE last weekend because the price was right and well... I wanted it.

[I do have the manual but it's not very informative and I'm surprised at the lack of youtube videos on this machine.]

I've only been out twice so far for a total of probably 2 1/2 hours or so and I'm finding targets but I really want to start off on the right foot with this machine and I know that many people here know them very well so I'm asking everyone's assistance that's willing to give it.

The first day out I turned the machine on and heard a loud hum that I didn't hear when the machine was turned on prior to buying it. I thought something was wrong at first but looked up the "problem" on my phone and turned the threshold down until I couldn't hear it anymore. I've since learned that it's best to keep the threshold at an audible level? Doesn't the hum just cut out when you pass over a discriminated item?

Here's a little of what I have/have not done so far. I'm hunting with the original slim coil but I will be buying the PRO coil very soon.

The first time out I hunted with factory presets and didn't mess with anything accept the threshold. I found many pull-tabs, bottle caps and maybe 5 pennies.

The second time out I went through and checked off [not X] jewelry, X'd out foil, bottle caps, crown caps and turned sensitivity all the way up. I found a few pull-tabs, 0 bottle caps, 3 pennies, a quarter and dime together and a couple of odd metal thingys.

I do use smartfind and use the graph.
I have not used digital yet as I'm not sure I'm ready for that.
I have not used noise cancellation.

Basically, I've been using factory presets but tweaked the discrimination just a little as stated above.

I'm really looking forward to learning this machine since I've heard so many good things about it. I know that a lot of you have already moved on to the E-TRAC, and I will too someday but until then I need some assistance with this guy.

Any responses would be much appreciated. :3coins:

Thanks!

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very surprised at the lack of interest in this machine.

It's either that or everyone has me on "ignore"

???

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
everything what you did is OK, slim coil is Ok too if its performs normal, pro coil will not give you something much different, my advise use less discrimination and detect in old places where more older targets.

Steviecop

Greenie
Apr 16, 2012
Haddon Heights NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exploer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you I've just purchased an Explorer SE Pro. I was under the impression I was buying a superior machine that many would envy. I am in the process of learning it as well. I really only use it at the factory settings. I'm having a hard time determining the different sounds to decide if its a viable target or not. I received some valuable assistance from others. I use the digital screen more than graph. Haven't found anything extraordinary yet but I think its a lil early to hit the NJ beaches. I do find targets, some kind of deep. I guess what I'd like to know first is if I've made a good decision on type and model. As for finding stuff, I think I just have to put a lot of time in and it will happen!!!!

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everything what you did is OK, slim coil is Ok too if its performs normal, pro coil will not give you something much different, my advise use less discrimination and detect in old places where more older targets.

I have done a lot of reading on the subject. Multiple threads on multiple forums, reviews and word-of-mouth but this is the first time I've had someone tell me that the PRO coil won't be much different. From what I understand, the PRO coil is where it's at and turns the SE into a different machine. I've even been told by people that own both the SE PRO and the ETRAC to not worry about upgrading to the ETRAC because the SE PRO is just as good on most levels. It's also been brought to my attention that had some of the SE users tried the PRO coil first they probably wouldn't have bought the ETRAC.

I know that everyone stands by their brand and their machine proudly and everyone has their own opinions. I'm not trying to compare or compete with ETRAC owners either, just relaying what I've learned.

Like you I've just purchased an Explorer SE Pro. I was under the impression I was buying a superior machine that many would envy. I am in the process of learning it as well. I really only use it at the factory settings. I'm having a hard time determining the different sounds to decide if its a viable target or not. I received some valuable assistance from others. I use the digital screen more than graph. Haven't found anything extraordinary yet but I think its a lil early to hit the NJ beaches. I do find targets, some kind of deep. I guess what I'd like to know first is if I've made a good decision on type and model. As for finding stuff, I think I just have to put a lot of time in and it will happen!!!!

Welcome to my world. I haven't found anything to brag about YET but the way the first 3 hunts went I can sense that this will turn out to be an awesome choice in machines. I've already been finding a bigger variety of finds that are both deeper and older and that's at a park that I've hunted the past 2 years with my Garretts. I use the graph myself but I'll learn both. Graph or digital, I will dig the target if I like the tone. I will continue to hit my nice quiet park until I learn the machine a little better and then I'll move on to more serious business.

We just need to be patient.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I have done a lot of reading on the subject. Multiple threads on multiple forums, reviews and word-of-mouth but this is the first time I've had someone tell me that the PRO coil won't be much different. From what I understand, the PRO coil is where it's at and turns the SE into a different machine. I've even been told by people that own both the SE PRO and the ETRAC to not worry about upgrading to the ETRAC because the SE PRO is just as good on most levels. It's also been brought to my attention that had some of the SE users tried the PRO coil first they probably wouldn't have bought the ETRAC.

I know that everyone stands by their brand and their machine proudly and everyone has their own opinions. I'm not trying to compare or compete with ETRAC owners either, just relaying what I've learned.

Welcome to my world. I haven't found anything to brag about YET but the way the first 3 hunts went I can sense that this will turn out to be an awesome choice in machines. I've already been finding a bigger variety of finds that are both deeper and older and that's at a park that I've hunted the past 2 years with my Garretts. I use the graph myself but I'll learn both. Graph or digital, I will dig the target if I like the tone. I will continue to hit my nice quiet park until I learn the machine a little better and then I'll move on to more serious business.

We just need to be patient.
You have to buy Pro coil and make different test to have own opinion, I did allot test with my 1050 or 1000 and this old coils is the same slim coils except different design outside and cheaper production.
ALL Explorers and etrac is very very similar except recovery speed and even more if you like discrimination, make half screen discrimination on Etrac and Explorer and you will see huge different, but use TTF without discrimination and you will see less. Etrac is faster without discrimination too. Etrac minus or plus its depends how you look to it, its more tuned to Iron,simply with Etrac you will dig more iron.
I think for parks and in trash when you want avoid allot digging Etrac is winner, but if you all target digger like I am they are very similar, I can use both with similar outcome and I have all Explorers, Safari, Etrac. My advise before buying new pro coil make air test and comparisons with your old slim, with different targets. Or go strait to Etrac and compare with your Explorer SE.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to buy Pro coil and make different test to have own opinion, I did allot test with my 1050 or 1000 and this old coils is the same slim coils except different design outside and cheaper production.
ALL Explorers and etrac is very very similar except recovery speed and even more if you like discrimination, make half screen discrimination on Etrac and Explorer and you will see huge different, but use TTF without discrimination and you will see less. Etrac is faster without discrimination too. Etrac minus or plus its depends how you look to it, its more tuned to Iron,simply with Etrac you will dig more iron.
I think for parks and in trash when you want avoid allot digging Etrac is winner, but if you all target digger like I am they are very similar, I can use both with similar outcome and I have all Explorers, Safari, Etrac. My advise before buying new pro coil make air test and comparisons with your old slim, with different targets. Or go strait to Etrac and compare with your Explorer SE.

I have been told to try 0 discrimination which is a perfect idea since I'm basically going by tones anyway.

You say that the PRO coil is basically a cheaper version of the slim but from what I've read, the PRO is lighter and has quicker recovery time. I'm not too concerned about the weight but I am interested in the recovery speed.

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to go on Minelabs website and they have tons of info on there. The Etrac and Explorer are two DIFFERENT machines. Many upgrades on the Etrac that the Explorer does not have. You need the threshold so you can know when the detector goes over iron (nulled out) or when you get a deep coin. Keep using it and your finds will improve. Dig according to depth and forget what the screen says.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to go on Minelabs website and they have tons of info on there. The Etrac and Explorer are two DIFFERENT machines. Many upgrades on the Etrac that the Explorer does not have. You need the threshold so you can know when the detector goes over iron (nulled out) or when you get a deep coin. Keep using it and your finds will improve. Dig according to depth and forget what the screen says.

I've been TRYING to post on the Minelab forum but every post needs to be "approved" by a moderator before it shows up which is the most ridiculous way to run a forum that I've ever witnessed.

I have been using the threshold. The only time I had it on silent was the very first time out and I was a little confused because when I bought the machine the day before it was silent when the person who sold it to me turned it on.

It was actually on the Minelab forum that another poster who owns both the ETRAC and the SE told me that in certain conditions they get more depth out of the SE. I was also turned on to Andy Sabisch's book which is supposed to be pretty awesome. I have a copy on the way

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I have been told to try 0 discrimination which is a perfect idea since I'm basically going by tones anyway.

You say that the PRO coil is basically a cheaper version of the slim but from what I've read, the PRO is lighter and has quicker recovery time. I'm not too concerned about the weight but I am interested in the recovery speed.

No, I am saying Slim coil is cheaper version of the 1050 or 1000, inside slim coil the same 1050 coil, but allot slim coils was bad quality. if your works OK its perfect coil except shaft connection not in center.
Pro coil is new version of the old coil, new design a bit different performance and shaft connection in center, New old coil because it was made for old FBS technology detectors-Explorers and later etracs. With any coil you cant make faster or slower recovery speed, with Pro too. Explorers have OK recovery speed, just go slower and you will get best finds in Iron fields.
Etrac is basically the same Explorer, with faster proccesor and different program, the same deep and the same heavy.
If you want to use Explorer without discrimination go to TTF mostly all iron will sound low the rest targets high.

Last edited:

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Hey Shambler, you smartass. Does your mom know you're on her computer again? I probably know more about searching out information that you do so your response is idiotic, much like yourself. I came here to talk about and learn the machine first hand from people that use the machine, people that are much more intelligent than yourself. Go find another thread to not be funny in you waste of skin.

Booooo! If you knew more about searching information, you'dve not asked those questions. Every question you asked was answered in the first or second link of those searches (by actual users of the Explorer). Once you had the basics down, I was looking forward to more advanced questions (now not so much :tongue3:).

It's more simple than you're making it.... go dig some tones, and you'll see. Hell, I even linked you to the sound of deep silver which eludes even the seasoned Explorer user.

You're welcome.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Booooo! If you knew more about searching information, you'dve not asked those questions. Every question you asked was answered in the first or second link of those searches (by actual users of the Explorer). Once you had the basics down, I was looking forward to more advanced questions (now not so much :tongue3:).

It's more simple than you're making it.... go dig some tones, and you'll see. Hell, I even linked you to the sound of deep silver which eludes even the seasoned Explorer user.

You're welcome.

I will give you 1/2 of an apology.

In the future don't link someone to "let me Google that for you" unless you don't like the person. I know enough to know that it's a condescending link. You were basically calling me an idiot for not being able to find the info on my own.

I clicked out of all the links immediately when I saw that so I didn't see the end results until now. You could have just posted the links, it would have been much more efficient.

Coincidentally, all the links were highlighted in my browser which tells me that I've been to all of them already.

Also, I received my copy of Andy Sabisch's book two days ago and he signed it for me as well..

ANDY SABISCH BOOK.jpg

No hard feelings, just save that link for enemies and idiots. - WIT

pcollins

Jan 31, 2009
Here is my opinion on the slimline coil, and also the old 1050. I have used all three. When the slimline came out people where complaining about instability, EMI, and falsing. I had the same problems in some areas, I turned the sens down, to 16 even at times and it smoothed out. The thing is, I experienced no loss of depth at all with the low sens. Then I bought the pro coil, and thought wow, this coil is smooth and has stability, and you can run the sens way up. But I found out on my machine anyway, when you cut the sens in half with this coil, my depth was also cut in half. This is my opinion with the butterfly coils, they are a hit because people can run them at high sens, and think they are getting deeper than the old coils. I am sure the manufactures have a lot of problems sending machines back, with falsing problems and such. If you give people knobs and controls, they think it all needs to be cranked up. I think this was minelabs solution. I know I am probably going to get flak for saying all this. I regret selling my slimline, it was a good coil. My favorite is the original 1050, it has a nice sweet spot under the minelab logo. The pro coil pinpoints like crap, the deeper the target, the farther to the middle of the coil the target is, the signal bows to the middle. that is another reason i dont like the pro coil. Try turning down your sensitivity, but leave the gain cranked up. Give your coil a chance.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things from the first post...

1) Noise cancel never hurts and not a bad idea to hit it every time you turn on the detector considering you are new.

2) The threshold - null is the secret to good iron discrimination. You understand the null, you get a better sense of what is iron.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my opinion on the slimline coil, and also the old 1050. I have used all three. When the slimline came out people where complaining about instability, EMI, and falsing. I had the same problems in some areas, I turned the sens down, to 16 even at times and it smoothed out. The thing is, I experienced no loss of depth at all with the low sens. Then I bought the pro coil, and thought wow, this coil is smooth and has stability, and you can run the sens way up. But I found out on my machine anyway, when you cut the sens in half with this coil, my depth was also cut in half. This is my opinion with the butterfly coils, they are a hit because people can run them at high sens, and think they are getting deeper than the old coils. I am sure the manufactures have a lot of problems sending machines back, with falsing problems and such. If you give people knobs and controls, they think it all needs to be cranked up. I think this was minelabs solution. I know I am probably going to get flak for saying all this. I regret selling my slimline, it was a good coil. My favorite is the original 1050, it has a nice sweet spot under the minelab logo. The pro coil pinpoints like crap, the deeper the target, the farther to the middle of the coil the target is, the signal bows to the middle. that is another reason i dont like the pro coil. Try turning down your sensitivity, but leave the gain cranked up. Give your coil a chance.

Thanks for the post. Seems I've been hearing more and more about the slimline not being such a bad guy after all. I'll save my money at least for the time being and work with it some more. I've made a few nice finds since I bought the machine but I've still hardly scratched the surface as far as actually learning the machine.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things from the first post...

1) Noise cancel never hurts and not a bad idea to hit it every time you turn on the detector considering you are new.

2) The threshold - null is the secret to good iron discrimination. You understand the null, you get a better sense of what is iron.

1) Andy somewhat gives the impression in his book that it's basically a "no-brainer" when it comes to noise cancel. He actually goes as far as to say use it every 30 minutes or so and use it when ground conditions change. Other than the fact that he knows a bit more than me, it seems logical. I didn't use it the first couple of hunts because when I bought the machine I was told that "here's the noise cancel, I didn't really use it, it seemed to take a while". I was also told that when hunting with a partner, Minelab's don't get along.. Perhaps noise cancel would've helped that situation.

My question for you is this. Do you see any beneficial reason to not use noise cancel? Do you not use it?

2) I am starting to see the benefits of threshold. When I first turned the machine on and heard the constant hum I thought it was broken. :)

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
if you like discrimination, use threshold, but in TTF you can use Explorers without discrimination and hear all iron and the rest targets.
in Explorers after 22-24 manual sensitivity is not so much gain in depth and from my experience from manual 22-24 sensitivity detector works differently and not so smooth.
If Slim coil good it should handle the same sensitivity like 1050, and not till 16.
Noise cancel not related to ground condition its just adopts to surrounding EMI, that is why minelab recommending keep coil off the ground higher-like antenna.

quarterroy

Greenie
Apr 19, 2010
midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the same boat WIT. I've looked at the lit, I'm comfortable with the machine. I just have a nagging suspecion I'm missing something; would like to have an experienced user to give me some hands on pointers. I just don't get enough time in the field. What i learn one trip out fades away by the time I get back out months later. Haven't considered the PRO coil, lighter would b nice. I've been out enough to appreciate the machine. Looking forward to a time when I can put in more time detecting and use its potential. Good luck (Shambler, no offense at the connect the dots advice, some of us need that, some don't)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread