Minelab E-Trac Your opinion. Whats the best coil?

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Not one small coil worked for me better like original size coils, Pro or 1050 in heavy Iron too. Yesterday I gave one more chance for Little Joy Coiltek coil. After four hours use I think this coil is good for small or very small targets and best that its fits in the spade hole to check where is the target, but I am sure its not better than original coils.
Sef 6x9 and minelab 8 never worked ,,For ME,, and my test with iron showed the same performance for this two coils, just one is cheaper than another.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for the reply anyone else???

pcollins

Jan 31, 2009
I have gone the small coil route before, i have used the Minelab 8 inch and sunray X5 like you have. I seemed to have better luck myself with stock sized coils and just working the same ground from different angles. I am not convinced with DD coils that smaller is better in trash, within reason of course. For example a 15 inch coil was hard to deal with in trash, but a 10.5 or 11 seemed to be the best for me, bigger and I could not really see any depth increase, smaller and it didnt help me in the trash much, a little maybe. Concentric coils are a different story, the way the signal covers the full diameter of the coil, and goes down like a cone. This has just been my experience with it. The thing about metal detecting is you can only see what you pull out, but nobody really knows what they have missed. I have also been wondering about some of the other small coils too, how they perform. Would like to try all the sunray and coilteks. I know you didnt ask about bigger coils but I have used the 15 inch WOT, and while I didnt really see any depth increase, I was very suprised how many coins on edge where turning up in places that were pounded. It was a beast to handle though. That is also something to think about, i really believe the smaller coils miss a lot of small coins on edge. Hope this helps.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion would be the CoilTek. You may even be able to get away with the 12x8 platypus and not need the smaller coil in most scenarios. You definitely won't lose depth, and it locks on in trash much better than the stock(check out my post in todays finds"two days, two coins, one cent").

Now I have not used the others so I can't say they won't have the same result but, I can honestly say it is a whole new game now.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the E-Trac and use the Sunray X-5 coil, I really like it but would like more depth. What in your opinion is the best aftermarket(non Stock) coil for the E-Trac? X-8?, SEF? Coiltek? Minelab? Your opinions for a smaller coil and better depth?

Sun Ray makes the best aftermarket coils that I have used. I have used and sell most all of them. Sun Ray still gets my pick. The Minelab 8" comes with a lower rod and hardware. GREAT setup there!

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for all the replies...

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a fan of the X5.... my list of coils are from largest to smallest:

WOT
Stock Pro coil
Minelab 8"
Sunray X5

Normally, I use two of them - the pro coil and the X5. I once found a good sounding target with the X5, and checked it with the 8" and the pro coil. The 8" heard it, but did null some due to the adjacent trash. It was barely a diggable signal. The pro coil never heard it, it was a large null. When I dug the target it turned out to be a nice flat button at 7". That convinced me - I usually go over every site with both the pro and the X5.

Just my 2 1/2 cents. Your results may vary....

beerbarrel

Jun 24, 2007
Houston
I'm using the COILTEK 10 x 5 Joey, have found it to be excellent on coins, talk to Mike at Woodlands Detectors, he has tested a lot of the coils, out on the market, and can be of great help.

beerbarrel

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all of the Input.. GH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread