MINELABS NEW DETECTOR CTX 3030

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much is the question ,looks amazing !

I agree.. Bet it will cost a pretty penny!! But it does look awesome!! Can't wait to see how it will perform!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Waterproof (like an AT pro I think./....10 Ft?) Wireless and color screen!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gps feature doesn't worry you guys? To locate itself doesn't it need to send data?
Or maybe it is nothing more than a gps locator?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gps feature doesn't worry you guys? To locate itself doesn't it need to send data?

My only worry is it wasting battery. I don't see a real need for a gps on a detector. I know where I found stuff.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No it doesnt need to send anything. GPS works by reading time data from satellites.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only worry is it wasting battery. I don't see a real need for a gps on a detector. I know where I found stuff.

I could see it being a nice feature at certain times, but I agree that I would like to be able to turn it off when no needed.

The only thing about this new machine that has me intrigued is the FBS2. I wonder what they have changed with it?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only time will tell. In the end it all comes down to "How well it can hunt, it's versatility, and the quality of product and service"...without those things the rest is all just consumer bells and whistles. But until we get the real scoop on it.....who knows. :dontknow: $$$$.....at least that much is pretty certain. :laughing7:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another concern is pinpointing. I'm not sure how the cable is connected to the machine, so I wonder how a sunray probe might attach to it. I dig too many holes with multiple targets in it and there is just no way I could go to a single tone probe and dig out each nail one by one until I find the target I was looking for in the first place.

If it works equal to (or better than) the explorer/etrac line of machines and could be as light as some of Fisher's machines, I would probably pay 2k+ for it.

But if I have to dig out 5 pieces of trash with a crummy pinpointer before I get my coin out, that would kill the machine in my eyes.

I can't have it all I guess, haha.

Eyesight

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
Munich, Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 + XP Déus 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding price - found somewhere 1.669GBP price tag - above the threshold where I do not have to consult purchase with my wife :-((( . I second the opinion on usefulness of GPS - I have always 3-5 GPS's (or rather gadgets with GPS tracking feature - 2 iPhones, wristwatch, Garmin Oregon, digital camera, etc.) with me, but what I REALLY like is the wireless. Seems like Minelab learned a lot from XP Deus success. I'm using E-Trac like 90% of the time, but sometimes "steal" Deus from my son and search with it - that freedom to lay down the detector and move freely without being tight to a headphone rope is refreshing ;-) If there's a change I hunt on speaker with E-Trac, but that's not always possible... I'm also keen to learn what is the max lentght of the longest piece (shaft?) when dissembled - here in Germany I cannot simply go with detector on the street without being suspicious so I have it dissembled in my bag and putting it together on the location only... BTW, black-camo version of CTX3030 looks even nicer than the standard camouflage version on the vid -

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Eyesight its very easy to use wireless headphones now on Etrac so many to choose from.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only time will tell. In the end it all comes down to "How well it can hunt, it's versatility, and the quality of product and service"...without those things the rest is all just consumer bells and whistles. But until we get the real scoop on it.....who knows. :dontknow: $$$$.....at least that much is pretty certain. :laughing7:

Exactly !

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a glorified e-trac with a lot of useless junk on it $$$$ come on do i hunt in 35,000 acre corn fields ? and need GPS looking for a stupid bullet 18" in the ground during a rain storm:icon_scratch: get real Minelab.

Eyesight

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
Munich, Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eyesight its very easy to use wireless headphones now on Etrac so many to choose from.
Stasys, what kind of setup would you recommend? I have tried T-Bone transmitter with one of the Philips TV wireless headphones and as I was really "not impressed" I have returned to corded KOSS headphones... This is mainly about the transmitter (I have a lot of wireless headphones to choose from) so your guidance would be appreciated :headbang:

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I have a lot of wireless headphones to choose from- But I dont use any :laughing7: because my etrac is in bag, but from reading and talking with people they use Auvio and the rest different, check in other forums, this really very simple its just one transmitter and headphones , but dont expect sound like Koss 30 except you will solder Koss dynamics on wireless. I can see you have found nice coin -1360 hammered silver "Prague"how many? in Lithuania we used this coin till 15century.

Eddy Current

Greenie
Mar 13, 2012
Bedfordshire (UK)
Primary Interest:
Other
What if the CTX3030 combines VLF with PI technology?

In my opinion, we might be missing the point all together...

Never mind the colour screen, wireless audio, GPS or the mapping,
these are all features which easily fit in that slime control box...

Like everyone noted what stands out is the large battery case and
large battery = large power supply = large power consumption = PI

quote from Bruce Candys US Patent 8063777 of November 22, 2011
------------------------------------------------------------------
[...]where the operator is able to [...] select different waveforms
[...] examples [...] being time-domain, square-wave, sine wave [...]

if I'm not mistaken, then...

time-domain .....means PI technology
square-wave ....means multi-frequency technology
sine wave ........means VLF technology​

I don't know if above mentioned patent is the one for the CTX3030, but
it would explain the large battery, and as waterproofing would allow salt
water detecting a machine which can be switched to PI if needed would
be better suited...

Back on land you could switch it back to Multi-frequency for
relic hunting, or single VLF, and/or, PI for Gold Prospecting...

Just a thought

--Eddy C.

Eyesight

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
Munich, Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of wireless headphones to choose from- But I dont use any :laughing7: because my etrac is in bag, but from reading and talking with people they use Auvio and the rest different, check in other forums, this really very simple its just one transmitter and headphones , but dont expect sound like Koss 30 except you will solder Koss dynamics on wireless. I can see you have found nice coin -1360 hammered silver "Prague"how many? in Lithuania we used this coin till 15century.
I will address this in the other forum, you're right. If I can really solve this issue I do not see any other reason to go for CTX3030 - all the other features are not really important (= I don't hunt in really wet conditions, I don't need GPS, color display, etc.). That hammered penny is my first one.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
In my opinion, we might be missing the point all together...

Never mind the colour screen, wireless audio, GPS or the mapping,
these are all features which easily fit in that slime control box...

Like everyone noted what stands out is the large battery case and
large battery = large power supply = large power consumption = PI

quote from Bruce Candys US Patent 8063777 of November 22, 2011
------------------------------------------------------------------
[...]where the operator is able to [...] select different waveforms
[...] examples [...] being time-domain, square-wave, sine wave [...]

if I'm not mistaken, then...

time-domain .....means PI technology
square-wave ....means multi-frequency technology
sine wave ........means VLF technology​

I don't know if above mentioned patent is the one for the CTX3030, but
it would explain the large battery, and as waterproofing would allow salt
water detecting a machine which can be switched to PI if needed would
be better suited...

Back on land you could switch it back to Multi-frequency for
relic hunting, or single VLF, and/or, PI for Gold Prospecting...

Just a thought

--Eddy C.
I think not PI its just FBS with Etrac guts, no place in this box for Pi what they use in GPX. its just Water proofed Etrac with color screen and not good balanced.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread