Whites v3i in comparison to the 3030

Cxtopher

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an Whites XLT owner for the past 15 years. I am now looking to get back into detecting and i will probably getting a bew machine. I would be very interested if anyone has had the chance to compare the v3i to the 3030? I have already spoken to a couple of dealers in Oklahoma (where I'm. From), but would appreciate additional input. I am hoping to start searching for relics and I also like to hunt old parks as well. I have not done much beach hunting. Any one out there comparing these two models?

pspr

May 24, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sort of doing the same. Haven't been active detecting but I have an Explorer I've used. I'm leaning toward the CTX3030 because I like the two dimentonal discrimination screen and the new features seem to take the E-trac to a new level.

But, if I had been a long time Whites user I would probably lean more to the v3i just because it would work more like what I'm used to. That being said, I've looked at a lot of v3i vs e-trac comparisons by doing a google search for that term. Many are biased but my overall impression was that the e-trac was the preferred machine but not by much.

I don't know the weight of the v3i but the e-trac is about 4.8 lb. and the CTX3030 is 5.2 but supposedly balanced better.

If you are like me and like lots of bells and whistles and the latest technology check out the ctx. If you are more comfortable with the whites screens and methods you'll probably prefer the v3i.

So, do the google search and start watching the comparison videos and user comments. You won't find many ctx comparisons yet but there are com ctx vs e-trac comparisons out there and will be more in a week or so. That's the best advice I can give you.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I previously owned a V3i and now own an Etrac. The CTX3030 looks very similar to the Etrac outside of the color screen and Target Trace features. There are also other apparent updates in the electronics. I found the V3i very good but got bogged down in the menus and all of the adjustments and tweaks. For me the Etrac was actually easier to learn and operate. I did not think I would ever adjust to the audio tones of a Minelab since they sounded like nails on a chalkboard but it wasn't too hard of an adjustment once I had the headphones on. Both are heavy compared to many detectors in case that is a concern. If you buy one get the Sabisch book on it and it will save you a lot of time and effort learning it. Whether you get a V3i or Etrac or CTX you have to like the machine you are using. I have had machines that were good but for some reason (sounds, display, handling) annoyed me and I wasn't very effective with them. If the operator and machine don't "connect" it will lesson the chances of success and that can be equally important as getting a techincally capable detector.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
CTX3030 works well, but a little heavy for my hunt style, if you like menus and tweaks then go for it, I've never used a V3i.
P5315948_400.jpg

ivanll

tumbleinn2

Apr 24, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
WHITE"S SPECTRA V3i d2 coil 6x10 coil 5.3 coil super 12 surfmaster II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why waste your time learning a unit every time a new one comes out. Im going to stick with my V3i & etrac I have the best of both worlds

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buy from Mike at woodland detectors you won't regret it!!! Mike will help you in every aspect of metal detecting. Ask anyone on here about woodland detectors and Mike!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is really no comparison...For the money, the Whites is a much better machine...I can attest to this because I have used both the V3i, and the dirty 30. I was so disappointed in the ctx with the huge price tag thinking it might be the next super machine....Boy was I wrong! Save yourself a bunch of cash and go with the White's you wont regret it. I sold my personal CTX last week, buying the White's, and pocketing some cash! You can call us toll free to discuss the performance test. I put a good honest 100 hours on the "Etrac with chrome" The White's outperformed the Minelab CTX 30-30 in Culpeper Va, and most of the Eastern US. ( The White's MXT even did better) Everyone knows aropund here we will only announce the honest news on manufactures products, and it just solely our opinions. The field tests we perform are accurate diggging natural targets, in natural undisturbed enviroments. The White's is STILL America's favorite....And American Made too...And you all know about White's unbeatable customer service.

Last edited:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike under mineralized ground conditions, did you run in ground coin? What were your findings in that set up if you did.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, seasoned huters might want to choose the one that has manual ground balance settings...

A very useful feature, that I really do miss on both my Sov GT and Quattro.

Manual ground balance : men know why...:laughing7:

HH

Grumpy

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Woodland Detectors said:
There is really no comparison...For the money, the Whites is a much better machine...I can attest to this because I have used both the V3i, and the dirty 30. I was so disappointed in the ctx with the huge price tag thinking it might be the next super machine....Boy was I wrong! Save yourself a bunch of cash and go with the White's you wont regret it. I sold my personal CTX last week, buying the White's, and pocketing some cash! You can call us toll free to discuss the performance test. I put a good honest 100 hours on the "Etrac with chrome" The White's outperformed the Minelab CTX 30-30 in Culpeper Va, and most of the Eastern US. ( The White's MXT even did better) Everyone knows aropund here we will only announce the honest news on manufactures products, and it just solely our opinions. The field tests we perform are accurate diggging natural targets, in natural undisturbed enviroments. The White's is STILL America's favorite....And American Made too...And you all know about White's unbeatable customer service.

What do you mean when you state that the mxt did even better. The mxt performed better than the v3i??? I am asking since I just got the mxt and I was considering the v3i as well. It if you say that the mxt will outperform the white top of line than I will think it twice before I purchase the v3i.

ohiodigger

Jun 6, 2012
norbyx said:
What do you mean when you state that the mxt did even better. The mxt performed better than the v3i??? I am asking since I just got the mxt and I was considering the v3i as well. It if you say that the mxt will outperform the white top of line than I will think it twice before I purchase the v3i.

I interpreted his statement as...not only the v3i outperformed the CTX the mxt in some instances did too. I have a V3i and have used an MXT. The V3i is in a league all it's own in my opinion. If you are ready to make the jump to the V3i then do so. Just know there will be some extra learning (manageable) regarding the V3i. I was going to get a CTX, but I trust this guys opinion. The V3i has been a great detector for me and it looks like it will continue to be.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well to be honest I am not ready to make the upgrade to the v3i, I love the machine but can't afford it at the moment. I just wanted to know if I was missing a great deal with my mxt against the v3i or the 3030. If I am not missing much than I will happily keep my mxt.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
norbyx I have both the MXT and the V3i, back when I was using the MXT my brother and I were about neck and neck for targets in the ground and he has the Minelab SE, since I bought the V3i there's been many times he isn't able to hear what the V3i is at all. The V3i does take some learning but it was very easy for me as I've always had Whites since I started detecting.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany

To be fair, you should mention your ground and how you like to hunt and for. I had the V3i and though I loved it, it just did not get depth in my soil. (Somewhat iron mineralized) Then I broke down and finally got an E-Trac - I had avoided Minelabs for years due to the hype (check my handle, same on all forums and goes back years). But, it performed. I ran the E-Trac head to head against the V3i (which I felt very proficient with and I was brand new with the E-Trac). I tried many many settings and got most (not all) of it on video. I have to say, though the V3i has more options, a better screen, etc. the E-Trac really outperformed it at depth. It also was better in iron which made no sense to me as I thought the E-Trac was slow on recovery - but it unmasked better in iron. (I am a coin hunter and also after regular sized jewelery, not a relic guy).
Check my head to head videos here, there are quite a few there, just scroll down: earthmansurfer69 - YouTube
The great thing about the E-Trac or CTX is that it is easy to learn and hard, very hard, to get it not to work. I didn't have any problems with the V3i, but many many people have. So, it's not for the slight of heart - something to consider regarding ones abilities, style, etc.

I sold the E-Trac as the balance was killing my back. I bought a CTX really for the perfect balance and it really has it (I didn't want to, I was happy with the E-Trac outside of the weight). I still feel a bit of the weight but it is a night and day difference.

I feel the V3i had more flexibility (e.g. - like fine gold hunting, analysis features, etc.) but it doesn't work well in mineralized soils. I have been in contact with others who have told me the same thing. The E-Trac is MUCH MUCH better in iron mineralized ground - it's not close. The CTX appears somewhat better than the E-Trac (but not enough to justify the cost - unless you water hunt or like me, the balance forced you.) Put a 13" Detech on an E-Trac, which I did, and I bet in runs very very close to a CTX.

Albert

junkyarddog

Greenie
Mar 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this talk about diggin deep coins and new machines.I been do that for the last 10years with my sov-xs2 welcome to the club a little late then never .I took the time to study and use my machine my way not runnin around with it like a weedwaker nice and slow and digging all targets at first then weeding out the unwanted by EAR .Once again welcome to the deep diggen era 3030 fans what took you so long ..lol

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The CTX 3030 has the fastest processor of any detector out right now. This means that recovery time after going over junk is dramatically reduced. I hunted a park last weekend that was hunted to death by SE pro's and E-trac's. With the 3030 I was able to dig deeper than ever before and still find coins. I found a barber dime and an Indian head within inches of large, deep iron targets. The recovery time of the SE pro and E-trac is not fast enough to be able to detect the silver or copper near large junk. The machine simply blanks out. The 3030 was able to find the coins easily.

The 17" coil will allow you to dig deeper as well. Doesn't come with the machine however.

The discrimination on the 3030 allows for more accurate metal identification, especially with digital mode. Auto sensitivity is very helpful as well in highly mineralized soil.

Realredrebel

May 6, 2012
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac w/X-1 SunRay probe.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground Inspector said:
The CTX 3030 has the fastest processor of any detector out right now. This means that recovery time after going over junk is dramatically reduced. I hunted a park last weekend that was hunted to death by SE pro's and E-trac's. With the 3030 I was able to dig deeper than ever before and still find coins. I found a barber dime and an Indian head within inches of large, deep iron targets. The recovery time of the SE pro and E-trac is not fast enough to be able to detect the silver or copper near large junk. The machine simply blanks out. The 3030 was able to find the coins easily.

The 17" coil will allow you to dig deeper as well. Doesn't come with the machine however.

The discrimination on the 3030 allows for more accurate metal identification, especially with digital mode. Auto sensitivity is very helpful as well in highly mineralized soil.

Hello... I am still learning on the 3030... I haven't done much park digging with it because of the drought we are having... I don't want to kill the grass... What settings are you using? ... I tried the combined mode and didn't have much luck... I had better results with an open screen, auto + 3, and 50 tones. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Realredrebel,
Pattern 1 discrimination for blanking out iron.
Occasionally I will change to a custom pattern leaving only the top right quadrant open for copper, silver, bronze, and lead depending on the ground conditions.

Auto noise cancel. I do this with the coil on the ground, not a foot off the surface. It makes a difference.

As for sensitivity, I use auto level 0 to +2 depending on conditions. The processor is fast enough that you do not need to run -3 to -1. This is only for finding surface coins while moving the coil at a faster speed. I would not recommend +3. The processor has a has a hard time keeping up with +3 unless you are searching for very deep targets in a clean, non mineralized soil while moving the coil at a very slow rate. Generally, manual sensitivity is between 23-27. If you are using the 17" coil, 21-25 is a better option.

Only use ground balance while searching at courthouses or churches, where mineralized soil is common. For parks, fields, and beaches it is not necessary. Areas with deep rusty nails from construction require ground balance. If you need ground balance, read the manual.

I have wireless turned off, even though I use AKG k840 wireless headphones.

I keep gain at 24. I like a quieter hum, so I use 15 for threshold.

Keep volume limit at 30 and pitch at 15.

Mode 1 - coins. I use an edited mode slightly different from mode 1 depending on the conditions. Normal response with fast and deep recovery.

I use ferrous coin for churches and courthouses.
Ground coin for parks.

I hope this helps!
Brian

Realredrebel

May 6, 2012
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac w/X-1 SunRay probe.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground Inspector said:
Realredrebel,
Pattern 1 discrimination for blanking out iron.
Occasionally I will change to a custom pattern leaving only the top right quadrant open for copper, silver, bronze, and lead depending on the ground conditions.

Auto noise cancel. I do this with the coil on the ground, not a foot off the surface. It makes a difference.

As for sensitivity, I use auto level 0 to +2 depending on conditions. The processor is fast enough that you do not need to run -3 to -1. This is only for finding surface coins while moving the coil at a faster speed. I would not recommend +3. The processor has a has a hard time keeping up with +3 unless you are searching for very deep targets in a clean, non mineralized soil while moving the coil at a very slow rate. Generally, manual sensitivity is between 23-27. If you are using the 17" coil, 21-25 is a better option.

Only use ground balance while searching at courthouses or churches, where mineralized soil is common. For parks, fields, and beaches it is not necessary. Areas with deep rusty nails from construction require ground balance. If you need ground balance, read the manual.

I have wireless turned off, even though I use AKG k840 wireless headphones.

I keep gain at 24. I like a quieter hum, so I use 15 for threshold.

Keep volume limit at 30 and pitch at 15.

Mode 1 - coins. I use an edited mode slightly different from mode 1 depending on the conditions. Normal response with fast and deep recovery.

I use ferrous coin for churches and courthouses.
Ground coin for parks.

I hope this helps!
Brian

Thanks a lot... This really helps... Greatly Appreciated... Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

what now?

I disagree, the ctx 3030 so far is an absolute beast. I can't compare it to any Whites machine though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread