Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go slow.
Run stock settings for a while, to learn what you're hearing and how to dial the various settings that you desire in.
Go slow.
Pay close attention to the threshold tone.
Oh, and in case you hadn't guessed, the Explorer is a deep slow search machine, so go slow.

OP
OP
Rylflush

Rylflush

Jun 7, 2012
Thanks Longhair. Had a great signal yesterday. Dug down forever at least 24" turned up an old mountain dew can. What a let down. When you say deep, slow machine what exactly does that mean. Unfortunately I have nobody to teach me anything. So sorry to sound ignorant.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rylflush said:
Thanks Longhair. Had a great signal yesterday. Dug down forever at least 24" turned up an old mountain dew can. What a let down. When you say deep, slow machine what exactly does that mean. Unfortunately I have nobody to teach me anything. So sorry to sound ignorant.

He means to swing your coil back and forth slowly it produces the best results for your machine take your time and dig everything till you can figure out what numbers mean what but like he said go slow good luck

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go slow.
Run stock settings for a while, to learn what you're hearing and how to dial the various settings that you desire in.
Go slow.
Oh, and in case you hadn't guessed, the Explorer is a deep slow search machine, so go slow.
Great advice! GO SLOW! This is very important to hear the deep signals!
The stock coin mode is very good!

OP
OP
Rylflush

Rylflush

Jun 7, 2012
Longhair said:
Go slow.
Go slow.

Are you in Vegas? Maybe we could get together. Sounds like you know your ****. I could learn lots from a pro like yourself! My email is [email protected].

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I'm about 2K miles from Vegas. But I'd bet that there is a local club that you can contact and join. That can be a boon to new users, not only for the experience, but for tons of other useful information too.

Beyond that, just try going slow enough to keep the threshold tone. Pay attention to the threshold breaks & nulls, and learn what they can tell you, along with the target tones/IDs. The idea is to isolate each target for identification, and to do that you need to GO SLOW. I'm talking 4-5sec/swing minimum....slower if necessary.
Sensitivity and swing speed kind of work together to maintain stable threshold. Excessive nulling means missed targets. If trash density is so high that you can't maintain a stable threshold swinging slow with sensitivity in the teens, then a smaller coil is definately in order.

Hope this helps.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread