Question? Has anyone had the CTX-3030 in the ocean? How did it do?

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not seen much information or reviews of the CTX-3030 in salt water. Has anyone tried it there? How did it go? Any Excal users, did you try it?

Also the makers of the Gray Ghost headphone are advertising a water proof set for the CTX-3030. Any one try them?

Any information is appreciated.

Ed D.:metaldetector:

Last edited:

spdnj

Feb 11, 2009
I have been hunting in the ocean here in NJ and it has not been great. The machine is stable when you first submerge the coil in the waves but once the surf gets half way the shaft I can not get it to calm down at all. I have tried almost everything I know. You need to move the sensitivity to down below 14 to get it anywhere near usable. The deeper you go the worse it seems to get. Shallow though, about ankle deep maybe a bit more it is really good. Something about the half way point and above on the shaft starts it going
Anyone else???

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not seen much information or reviews of the CTX-3030 in salt water. Has anyone tried it there? How did it go? Any Excal users, did you try it?

Also the makers of the Gray Ghost headphone are advertising a water proof set for the CTX-3030. Any one try them?

My friend with all due respect from what I can see you have among the best detectors for in land and water hunting, don't fall into the NEW TOY fever, you have prooven good quality detectors and the 3030 needs time to be considered a good detector. Everyone loves the new toy but it is still too soon to really know if it's worthit or not. If I were you I wouldn't even consider it, I mean you have an etrack and a Excal II ... those two combined make much more than the 3030, just my 2 cents.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I will be beach hunting with mine very soon. I will give you the best review I can since I have very limited beach experience. Hopefully it will do as good as the E-Trac last time I beach hunted.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
CTX-3030 work well at the ocean beach but it do not find anything I can't find with my other detectors made for the purpose.
I can't read the screen on the CTX-3030 without my spectacles and I don't wear those in the surf, meaning the screen is of no use in those circumstances, so I prefer my CZ detectors when beach hunting.
On this Sunday hunt my friend did the shallow water while I got wet in the surf...............and we had a splendid day.

This is winter in the tropic.
PtDouglas-01July2012.jpg

ivanll

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend with all due respect from what I can see you have among the best detectors for in land and water hunting, don't fall into the NEW TOY fever, you have prooven good quality detectors and the 3030 needs time to be considered a good detector. Everyone loves the new toy but it is still too soon to really know if it's worthit or not. If I were you I wouldn't even consider it, I mean you have an etrack and a Excal II ... those two combined make much more than the 3030, just my 2 cents.
I have to agree with him here............ My self i think the Sovereign and Excalibur one for land and one for water if you have those two you don't need a 3030 ............

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector | Big Boys Hobbies ran really well on the beach this morning. I found nothing awesome but it did run smooth. I got in the surf and was impressed. I would still be there but got ran off by the staff trying to set up chairs and umbrellas. I will head out earlier tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread