SOVEREIGN GT waterproof ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal is based on early version of sov, the sov has a lot more features, especially the sov gt...

Kbron2000

May 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT ,Fisher F2 DD Coil, NEL Tornado Coil, Garret Propointer ....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine should be here by Monday.... Sovereign GT Rulez!

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What features? Being able to turn Iron Mask on or off. Being able to change frequencies, All Metal, trasmits on two freq just like Excal. Zero motion pinpointing. BBS and able to detect a gold ring or coin under a railroad spike or other trash just like an Excal. Being able to change batteries on the fly. Being able to change to larger coils like the 15" WOT or Butterfly. Ability to use premium headphones like Black Widow's or Grey Ghost underwater phones.

The Sov GT is the king of the beach detectors and if Minelab offered it in a waterproof version, they wouldn't sell the others. Mine has paid for itself more than a few times and the time saved is priceless.
Sov GT.png

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterproofing a detector is risky business. One leak and you can kiss a good deal of money bye-bye. Something that is less risky is waterproofing an older model Sovereign. There is less investment in the detector. In my opinion and it is just that "My Opinion" the Excalibur is a great beach detector. Maybe the best water unit made. But I like the Sovereign better in the dry and wet sand. In the Mid Atlantic region you can water hunt during low tide. One of the low tide cycles is usually at night and I'm not getting in the water when it is dark. So you are down to a few water hunting hours a day. Some of those days the wind or bad weather will not let you enter the water. Water temperature will allow you to only hunt certain months. What I'm getting at is this. Where I hunt NJ, MD, and Delaware I'm sand hunting more than water hunting no matter what. It would be nice to afford a Sovereign and Excalibur. But I'll bag a Sovereign for the water hunting I want to do. I get to pick a coil. I pick my headphones. As long as I don't get my head wet I'm doing fine. My total investment for my beach unit is about 400.00. That is a Sovereign Elite, 10" Tornado coil, cable clam and Aqua-Pak bag. The Elite box I got for 200.00.So if I leak I'm only out 200.00 vs 750.00 for a GT. See you in the surf!

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What features? Being able to turn Iron Mask on or off. Being able to change frequencies, All Metal, trasmits on two freq just like Excal. Zero motion pinpointing. BBS and able to detect a gold ring or coin under a railroad spike or other trash just like an Excal. Being able to change batteries on the fly. Being able to change to larger coils like the 15" WOT or Butterfly. Ability to use premium headphones like Black Widow's or Grey Ghost underwater phones.

The Sov GT is the king of the beach detectors and if Minelab offered it in a waterproof version, they wouldn't sell the others. Mine has paid for itself more than a few times and the time saved is priceless. View attachment 653616

Great post!! :headbang:

OP
OP
R

Ronaldo Braga

Jul 3, 2012
Brazil _ Rio de Janeiro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to know if there is a 90 degrees connection for coils and headphones. I work with fiberglass (I made a fiberglass sandscoop) and I am planning to construct a waterproof box for the SOV.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are ninety degree connections for headphones but the coil connectors aren't.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my custom waterproofed Sov GT it was in an ikelite camera case large enough for it to sit about 2 inches from the bottom where the coil cable existed through a waterproof connector. It was mounted in the center of the top that clamped shut and sat suspended inside the case, if the case leaked it would have to have at least 2 inches of water in it to make it to the control box....

All of the major controls were extended outside the case through waterproofed connectors...

WaterproofedGT1.jpg

WaterproofedGT4.jpg

WaterproofedGT3.jpg

WaterproofedGT2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ronaldo Braga

Jul 3, 2012
Brazil _ Rio de Janeiro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On my custom waterproofed Sov GT it was in an ikelite camera case large enough for it to sit about 2 inches from the bottom where the coil cable existed through a waterproof connector. It was mounted in the center of the top that clamped shut and sat suspended inside the case, if the case leaked it would have to have at least 2 inches of water in it to make it to the control box....

All of the major controls were extended outside the case through waterproofed connectors...

View attachment 653750

View attachment 653753

View attachment 653752

View attachment 653751

I like your box very much! Why did you make this box if you have already a EXCALIBUR?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt make it, I bought it from a friend who was getting divorced and needed money quick....

Like I said before, the Excal is based on an old sovereign version but without many options..... The Sov GT is a lot better beach detector than the Excal, but it is not water proofed. If it was waterproofed I would sell my Excal in a heartbeat and buy a Minelab made waterproofed Sov GT.......

I bought it originally because I wanted to hunt in the water with a WOT coil, after I bought it I learned how to do custom mods on the excal and both my excalls now have 15 inch coils hardwired on them. I sold it because although it is great in the water and better than the excal, it was heavy and you could not take it under water with wearing weights, it floated like an intertube.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the dealers on TreasureNet would be happy to sell you one, take your pick...,

rekarstien

Aug 9, 2013
Glenolden PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see your setup with the Sovereign Elite. I feel the same way you do about going in the water in the dark I will go in up to my knees if I want to go in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread