Excalibur ll

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does what is called "null' when it goes over iron, null is the loss of threshold... When coil passes over piece of iron the detector will go silent, you lose the threshold sound..... In six years I have never seen it be wrong once. The best part is it will still sound off when gold , silver or plat is there with the iron..... When you get a null, always sweep the target again from a 90 degree different direction, if there is a good target there it will sound off. I found a gold ring this way, when I recovered the gold ring it was in the same scoop as the piece of iron...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why the Excal is so good at finding gold jewelry. Other detectors like the Beach Hunter ID or even the better CZ-20/21 can null out the Iron when they disc it out, but the masking effect hides the other target near the Iron even if the iron is right over the gold. The only other detector that is better at this is the Sovereign GT because of its many features.

Last edited:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time will tell but I believe the new CTX-3030 will act the same and be as good as the Excal and Sovereign. Used mine twice. Digging everything lowered the discrimination. It is working well in the water, and on wet and dry sand.

Ed D.

OP
OP
R

Ronaldo Braga

Jul 3, 2012
Brazil _ Rio de Janeiro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, what means this "null"?

It does what is called "null' when it goes over iron, null is the loss of threshold... When coil passes over piece of iron the detector will go silent, you lose the threshold sound..... In six years I have never seen it be wrong once. The best part is it will still sound off when gold , silver or plat is there with the iron..... When you get a null, always sweep the target again from a 90 degree different direction, if there is a good target there it will sound off. I found a gold ring this way, when I recovered the gold ring it was in the same scoop as the piece of iron...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal has a threshold tone that constantly gives a low "buzz". This buzz goes quiet "NULLS" when coil passes over iron.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to reset threshold, set it and forget it. When excal nulls because of iron target the threshold will return on its on after few seconds

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Time will tell but I believe the new CTX-3030 will act the same and be as good as the Excal and Sovereign. Used mine twice. Digging everything lowered the discrimination. It is working well in the water, and on wet and dry sand.

Ed D.
Born... Now this is me but i think that the Sovereign and Excalibur are the best detectors that Minelab made................. Better than any Explorer or Etrac ..and now the ctx3030.... And better than most detectors put out by other detector makers.....

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Born... Now this is me but i think that the Sovereign and Excalibur are the best detectors that Minelab made................. Better than any Explorer or Etrac ..and now the ctx3030.... And better than most detectors put out by other detector makers.....

i am very curious why is better? :icon_scratch:

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
They will go just as deep as your high dollar detector ..And do not have all those bell & whistles on them that you really don't need....

Ok, but now Explorer you can get cheaper when Sovereigns and for sure Excliburs, and what I can see from Sovereigns coil cables they suffer more from EMI, and Explorer can be use even simpler-in silent and with one sound, :piratehand:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't experienced any problems with EMI on either of the 2 Sovereign GTs I owned.... One of the nice features of the Sovereign GT is its silent search....Set the threshold so it is like a faint mosquito in your ear then flip silent search switch to on, you will lose the threshold sound so it is perfectly quiet, but when you pass over a target it will still report the target tone...

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I haven't experienced any problems with EMI on either of the 2 Sovereign GTs I owned.... One of the nice features of the Sovereign GT is its silent search....Set the threshold so it is like a faint mosquito in your ear then flip silent search switch to on, you will lose the threshold sound so it is perfectly quiet, but when you pass over a target it will still report the target tone...
But the same you can do with Explorer, I hunt without threshold :dontknow:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Ok, but now Explorer you can get cheaper when Sovereigns and for sure Excliburs, and what I can see from Sovereigns coil cables they suffer more from EMI, and Explorer can be use even simpler-in silent and with one sound, :piratehand:

lets see ya submerge your Explorer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread