Excal II issue and Kellyco

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've owned the Ecall II since Chritmas with no problems. Two days a go I was water detecting and the units battery started to die on me for the first time. I tried charging it for 2 days now. The thing will not charge. I can't figure out if its the charger or the battery. I TRIED to call Minelab but being on hold for an hour three different times is disheartening, no answer. I also called Kellyco that was no help. The rep at Kellyco just kept on stating that I would have to sent the whole thing into Minelab. I explained to her that the unit is still under warranty and for a 1200+ dollar unit that I should be able to pick up a battery from them,( i live 40 min. from them) since they were the point of purchase and THEY could RTV, (return to vendor) instead of ME the consumer having to be without the use of his 1200 + machine for 3 months while Minelab figures out why the battery won't charge. Has anyone had an issue with the battery? Maybe it's a simple fix or something I'm missing. I do have a multimeter but not really sure how to use it. ANY tips would GREATY appreciated. I'm back to using my Sand Shark but really would like to be using the Excal again.

Also would like to know if there is a better charging system.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco is under no obligation to ship you a new battery but they sometimes act as a go between for the customer. Your best bet is to ship the whole thing up including the charger and send it to Minelab. This way they can decide if it is the charger or what. Most of us have the Battery Tender. If you were a Charter Member you could search for posts about it or Google it. Maybe some member will post the link. At least you have a great back up detector.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a volt meter on your charger and tell us what it reads.

Kellyco isn't going to give you a new battery, that would have to come from minelab. You could go to kellco and buy a aa battery pod for backup. I have 2 as backup, but I also have 2 excals.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you live, I'm in Orlando and could look at it to see if it is battery or charger or detector. If you want my help let me know, and charge your battery over night if I am going to look at it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all members now have the ability to search...

OP
OP
surfhunter

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the Problem it was the power supply cord. The Minelab tech called me back, we went over the system and it was pushing only 3.8 volts. He suggested that I might want to up to a supply that puts out 16V to 18V, and ideas on this. And he is sending me a new power supply cord.

*Treasure Hunter- Iwould like to possibly meet up and go overthe unit, just have some questions. Or we could correspond thru PM.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found the Problem it was the power supply cord. The Minelab tech called me back, we went over the system and it was pushing only 3.8 volts. He suggested that I might want to up to a supply that puts out 16V to 18V, and ideas on this. And he is sending me a new power supply cord.

*Treasure Hunter- Iwould like to possibly meet up and go overthe unit, just have some questions. Or we could correspond thru PM.

Great news! Minelab customer support is GREAT!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I added you to my contacts...

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kelly Co in good faith could of did it but that don't have to.
That is why a Small Dealer you trust and are friends with comes in handy over a big company some times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions