MineLab CTX 3030,Worth the MONEY????

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you on that Old Man. Just wish I was an old man so I could have experienced the same. :)
I'm 43 and started 14 years ago. Should have listened to my Aunt and Uncle and started while I was very young.
Everyone will have their own opinion of what machine is best. Let's say that the best machine is the one that works when you need it and under the conditions you need it for.
It doesn't necessarily have to be the most expensive , but rather it's what works for the person using it.
HH
Gary G.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
my buddies old man filled mason jar after mason jar with silver coins. not to resurrect an old thread. lol...

has the 3030 come around to its value yet???

I miss the ol' days when I had a two hundred dollar detector and could find 'v' nickles - silver coins - indian head cents - and all other goodies in the top 4 inches of ground.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep old thread. I am not sure it is worth $2500, but it is a great detector and worth getting.

I am not sure about all that stuff being in the first couple of inches because I go to many virgin sites and not find all that, but I am sure at ONE TIME that was all you would find along with 1960s and 1970s coins.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm waiting for that submersible waterproof detector to 200' that provides the information the CTX display gives and the TID accuracy at depth to go with it - but - that can also hit hard on weakly conductive targets (thin rings, small jewelry). Perhaps ML will get to it with the CTX4040.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a CTX and I really like this machine. In my opinion this is a high end hobby machine and the average person may not get their money back. As far as hobbies go this is inexpensive compared to golf, Dirt bikes, Remote airplanes/cars. I think it depends how much you like seeing what you can find and if you have that treasure finder gene!!

Cheers - Koffee

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Worth every cent! To me! And no heavier than my Excal on a carbon fiber shaft!
Excal 5.1 lbs
CTX 5.2 lbs

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Round and round we go. Lol. Be patient, the CTX3030 will no longer be the newest greatest thing and "not quite as good as the next big thing" before you know it. Just like the Etrac, Explorer, Quattro, Safari, and so on and so on. Just like with electronics of any kind, this will always be a vicious cycle. Human nature - everybody has to have the "Next Great Machine". Funny thing is all of the Minelab machines I mentioned, were and still are good machines. They just aren't the newest and most popular kid on the block anymore. Seems like just yesterday, all you ever heard was Etrac, Etrac, Etrac. Very soon that will be replaced by the masses that can afford the CTX3030. :metaldetector:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a CTX, use to run a pair of etracs. If one only hunts on land my recommendation would be to get a used etrac and a new or used deus with 9 or 11" coil with the backphones. Money wise your on par with new CTX price, you'll have 2 detectors (a backup). And you'll find even more treasure. You can hunt most dryland sites with great success. Plus when the etrac starts feeling heavy you can opt for deus. Make no mistake about it, the etrac will suck silver. The only time my CTX comes out now is for cherry picking on areas where I want to limit my digging.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a CTX and I really like this machine. In my opinion this is a high end hobby machine and the average person may not get their money back. As far as hobbies go this is inexpensive compared to golf, Dirt bikes, Remote airplanes/cars. I think it depends how much you like seeing what you can find and if you have that treasure finder gene!!

Cheers - Koffee

Great post! I am in love with the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector | BigBoysHobbies once you put the gone hunting settings in it! totally changes it into a BEAST!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great machine is the 30/30!
But.. The Mighty ETrac is still the preferred "high end hobby" machine for inlander's. Hands down.
MineLab is without question, IMHO, the best all-round detector manufacturing company now.
How fast times change!?
Which ever MineLab detector you choose, do yourself a favor and call �� Bart@BigBoysHobbies.
Peace ✌

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which ever MineLab detector you choose, do yourself a favor and call �� Bart@BigBoysHobbies.
Peace ✌

Thanks Sir! Be sure to mention your from tnet as well for a special deal! ;)

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no such thing as the "Perfect" machine.

"It is the brain between the earmuffs, which make any machine worth the money, the user paid!"

Treasure hunting is about learning, learning the areas, and learning your machine. It is a constant evolution which never cease's, you can learn all that you think there is to know about your detector and opps a partial whisper will be heard reveling something you didn't know.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no such thing as the "Perfect" machine.

"It is the brain between the earmuffs, which make any machine worth the money, the user paid!"

Treasure hunting is about learning, learning the areas, and learning your machine. It is a constant evolution which never cease's, you can learn all that you think there is to know about your detector and opps a partial whisper will be heard reveling something you didn't know.

Very true Sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions