Excalibur 2...DFX.V3I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Asking this question in the minelabs forum is like walking into a Cadillac dealer and asking if a cadillac is worth the extra money. You can't expect to receive a true answer from someone that just spent over two grand to get the latest, badest, super metal detector. They will all say it's worth the money.
Ask it on a general forum for a general and more accurate response.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it really worth the money,Is it like using the Excalibur on the beach in the water,This is my main concern .I really thinking about taking the plunge...Are should I just get two detectors,One for land the other for beach

This one is REALLY easy. Just get TWO machines.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am mainly a water hunter and I'd say NO..... In the water you don't need a meter so the Excal does fine. For land the Sov GT is still great without a meter which lies to us anyway. This is a lot of money when you can buy a great land Tesoro and a Tesoro for the water.

Last edited:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allow me to be the first apparent snake oil salesman(or was it Cadillac dealer) to respond. Is it worth the money is a multi faceted question, if you spend the 2k+ are you getting a machine that is worth it? Yes. Do your locations, hunting styles etc. make it a wise decision for you? More questions need asking and answering first.

The screen is a non factor, if you don't like using them it is irrelevant as the CTX has one of if not the best audio customizations available.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask Gary Drayton if it is worth it....look at his finds and what he says about it....I know several who own it an love it..

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it really worth the money,Is it like using the Excalibur on the beach in the water,This is my main concern .I really thinking about taking the plunge...Are should I just get two detectors,One for land the other for beach

The Excal or Sov GT is HARD to beat on the beach! Simple but very effective!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The excal and the sov gt are great detectors. I own 2 excals and a sov gt myself, but that doesn't mean minelab cant make a detector that can out do them..... A waterproof sov gt is what I always wanted. Excal is based on early sovereign but anyone who owns sov and excal knows it isn't the same, the sov has features the excal doesn't, but if it did it would make the excal so much better, the ctx3030 has features that are very interesting and have heard good reports on it....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
My self i think that the Excalibur and sovereign are the 2 best detectors that Minelab makes........... They will go as deep as the and find as much as the CX3030 or Etrac or Explorer's..... All you get with the last 3 i have spoken of is bells & whistles not worth it........... Get a Sovereign & Excalibur you will save a few bucks and find just as much.........Unless you are a geek and like those worthless bells & whistles.........

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
Just my 2 cents :

stay with the SE Pro, or Exp. 2.... I was on the beach over 2 hours with CTX 3030, going threw the programs, and setting's.. My old Exp 2 OUT did it!!!!!
Sorry, but save your money.. WAIT until they work out all the bugs in it!!

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Just my 2 cents :

stay with the SE Pro, or Exp. 2.... I was on the beach over 2 hours with CTX 3030, going threw the programs, and setting's.. My old Exp 2 OUT did it!!!!!
we need somebody to make photos inside ctx to understand more, but I think looking ctx size and weight it has the same circuitry boards like etrac and maybe different processor.

Realredrebel

May 6, 2012
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac w/X-1 SunRay probe.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
passfinder said:

Yes... It is worth the Money to me... I don't do much water detecting thou.... I haven't used my Etrac since I got it... The CTX 3030 is a better machine.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

donbr

Sep 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full test of ctx-3030 but in russian
They said its better than middle range detector, not sure what they ment.
Can go up to 6 meters(but not recommended:) under water with well sensitivity , good junk separation, enough deep.
Old coils will not fits the new ctx as well as underwater earphones.
There conclusion he dont want to compare e-trac with ctx both are great just ctx has some new features that works well. Thats it maybe its helps a little bit to make decision.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just my 2 cents :

................. No a smarter move is stay with a Excalibur & Sovereign,........

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess this means that people may be trading in their E-tracs ? :)

logger1

Apr 19, 2009
I see some are haveing shaft problems already, does not look to be the best design where the head meets the shaft is wearing away, was a post about it on findmall but seems to have disapeared.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes some of these treasure fourms don't want you to say any thing bad about there favorite brands .....

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Best Video part is from 19min47sec. when they start compare CTX to Etrac, :laughing7: CTX looks the same like Etrac. to dive with CTX under water is stupid, its was never made for it.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own it and don't think it is worth it.
I had the shaft stuck problem and only used it a few times on a fresh water beach before it happened.
The meter seems useless everything in the coin range is grouped to close. I have quarters, pennies, and dimes almost and sometimes reading the same numbers. So you still need to dig the pennies just in case.
But I don't hate it totally either because it does find targets and has enough options so you can try to hunt a site more than once to see what else there is to find.
And I must say I am nervous about dunking it because I am afraid of the Gaskets Leaking. I assume if you take the Battery off enough to charge it eventually the gasket will go bad. So how do you know your gasket isn't bad before you go into the water and destroy the battery?
I probably would say it is an 1800.00 machine at most in my book.

If I had my choice I would get an EXCAL again and a land detector.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread