Excal 800 Question

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow Hunters. I bought an Excal 800 about 2 months ago and I have used it a few times. I noticed that after a few moments of a regular type of threshold I get this very loud buzz from my machine. no matter what settings I use it always comes back.....this happens in Auto, Manual on all settings of Sensitivity, etc.... is this normal?

It will sound off though when I go over a target, but I find myself running my coil by my scoop all the time to make it stop, but it comes back pretty quick. this is being used for fresh water right now...

gold4us

Aug 6, 2012
Kingsland, TX
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Excalibur 800
Minelab SD2200
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if you go over a fe target the threshold comes back with the low buzz if it goes over a non fe target it comes back normal. I just swing mine over my scoop to get the normal threshold back. Go over a nail and you will get the low buzz threshold. Go over a pull tab and the returning threshold will be higher.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand. Are you saying it changes threshold if you have the coil in the air away from any targets? Or are you saying it changes threshold while you are hunting?

OP
OP
looknforgold

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks... I 'm not used to that buzzing noise. I think it's the Threshold.. it does change when I hit a Conductive target. but I think what I hate most is that buzz. while I'm hunting. I just wished it would stay in tune more between targets. I have yet to dig a nail, or any kind of Iron with this unit, so, so far I like it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buzzing noise if it is the Threshold sounds like it is to loud. Adjust the threshold so you can barely hear it and The VOLUME control is for the target volume. Off hand I'd say send it in to Minelab. I hope you didn't buy it used.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need SOME threshold noise though. I know some people have been dulled by land machines that silence the threshhold, but that's the wrong way to hunt.

gold4us

Aug 6, 2012
Kingsland, TX
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Excalibur 800
Minelab SD2200
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just know that everytime that low buzz threshold comes on you just passed up a chunk or iron or hair pin. It's took me a day to figure it out but I am getting use to it. I just wave it over my scoop to get the normal/conductive threshold back. I hunt mostly in fresh water so I get lots of bits of iron, so mine is just about always in the low buzz threshold.
This is from the Excal 800 Instruction Manual
ScreenHunter_134Sep252009.jpg

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of the things I also didn't like about the EXCAL is the way the threshold comes off a target.
Sometimes it even comes back louder which I hate. If it could of stayed the same loudness it would have been better.
The only thing I could do was wave my shovel in front of it.
But from what I am told and read and heard when using it gives you info on what it discriminated on when going over it so that is valuable info to have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread