Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
Estonia
Detector(s) used
Minelab explore II,Minelab explorer XS,garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello.
I have a big problem with my metaldetector.Bought it second handed ,at first it worked great but ,after 2-3 digging sessions it started to make a lot of sounds,even when coil isnt plugged in and u move machine .:sadsmiley: I dont know what do to anymore:( I looked forum and some guys says that fixing will cost 600 dollars.

Here is a littel video where u can see how noisy it is .[video]http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2ufught&s=6[/video] Is there any change to repair it myself or it will need control box change?

Sorry for bad engish :occasion14:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it hard to believe it will cost $600
since they can be purchased one off ebay for that on occasion.

if I was you I'd call minelab on monday & see what they say.
Unfortunately there is a possibility they won't repair the Explorer 2 anymore, but worth a try in my opinion.

Good Luck !

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need more information.
Does it do it everywhere? Have you tried different locations?
Have you done a factory reset?
Is your coil connection tight?
Is the insulation on the coil wire cracked or damaged?
Have you another coil to try? (might just be a deffective coil)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have never heard one do that. Did you try resetting it? I've had exporers lock up before, and once it took me many tries to get it good again.

OP
OP
Z

zenker

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
Estonia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for replies.
I took that 600 dollars amount from this forum ,so i dont know if its real price or not.I will try to send them mail becuse call from estonia will come a littelbit expensive .
Does it do it everywhere? Have you tried different locations?Yes it does.Not as like u can see end of video ,but still its makes alot of wrong signals evreywhere.
Have you done a factory reset?Have made allready 3+ resets and still no help.
Is your coil connection tight?Yes it is.But as i told ,it will still give signals when coil isnt plugged in.So i think it cant be in coil.becuse machine without a coil should be quite.
Is the insulation on the coil wire cracked or damaged?Nope.I use coil cover,so coil is like a new.
Have you another coil to try? (might just be a deffective coil)Not yet.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes your right it should be quiet or run smoothe without the coil connected

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running out of answers. What about the battery - you using the charger pack? A bad battery can mimic a bad coil.... make lots of extra noise. I've had that happen, but again I've never heard an explorer act quite that way. (except for major interference maybe) So I think there's a chance it is a circuit board and if so, no question they will soak you so bad it wouldn't be worth fixing. Minelab doesn't care about fixing old units because they don't care about old customers.... just new ones buying new detectors, and they'll screw all them later.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Its look like you can be near military base or some Russian spy talking with Moscow from under ground :laughing7: If you want you can show me your Explorer through Skypem maybe I can help you. I have milion Explorers for parts if you want I can sell some. My skype name stasysba After looking again your Video I think your sensitivity to high and you keep coil like antenna...Do you detect in the air in Estonia? put coil on the ground and repeat the same test,because near you is really Russian spy or shortwave enthusiast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zenker

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
Estonia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im using both , charger pack and batterys .But still no change.I tooked main box apart,and machine worked well for 10 sec ,but after that when i moved that wire where u plug coil in,machine went back to noisy.So is it possible that some cabel is come loose?
Dont think spys are near forrest ,nearest house is 7km away. And sensitivity is only 21 before machine worked well it was allways on 24/6.Machine was in air becuse i wanted to show that nohting in ground dont mess with it.Its makes on ground same noises.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Im using both , charger pack and batterys .But still no change.I tooked main box apart,and machine worked well for 10 sec ,but after that when i moved that wire where u plug coil in,machine went back to noisy.So is it possible that some cabel is come loose?
Dont think spys are near forrest ,nearest house is 7km away. And sensitivity is only 21 before machine worked well it was allways on 24/6.Machine was in air becuse i wanted to show that nohting in ground dont mess with it.Its makes on ground same noises.
If coil cable not broken off from circuitry look near connector, but you will have to cut off all the rubber around connector.

OP
OP
Z

zenker

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
Estonia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hei again.
Made a new video.
I disassembled the machine.I could not get the control box off,therefore I had to cut the wires from the middle,beacuse that was the best idea in that time.I pulled the connector out,and disassembled it,and there was 1 wire free(the black one).I lead all the wires back together,machine is much more calmer than before ,but i think it still makes extra noises.There was two white wires,im not sure if i lead the right one whit other part.
But here is one question more ,is it point to send it to minelab?And how much it can cost me to repair it?
[video]http://tinypic.com/r/k3asz8/6[/video]

OP
OP
Z

zenker

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
Estonia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention that ,the coil is brand new on the video.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck that's a real bummer...I bet it's something simple though.
I forgot to mention that ,the coil is brand new on the video.

OP
OP
Z

zenker

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
Estonia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machine is sent to the ireland ,i hope the repairing cost dont go to big :notworthy:

OP
OP
Z

zenker

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
Estonia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2:

Repair cost is only 115 euros :notworthy:

They changed:
Strain Relief
Control Box Housing
Decal Control Box Generic
Senson Bad

Had a littel problem to translate them into estonia ,so i have a biq mystery what they changed :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread