Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coiltek Joey. The Coiltek coils are nothing short of amazing and take the E-trac to another level of stability and separation.

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a sunray 5" coil. I love it for trashy areas, the coiltek coils were nice but I sold mine and kept the sunray.... Very nice coil and decent depth 6 to 7 inches

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunray 5 inch is incredible for super trashy areas. If you need any more convincing, here is a video of an X5 hunt in a location I couldn't think of hunting with the stock coil.

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coiltek Joey. The Coiltek coils are nothing short of amazing and take the E-trac to another level of stability and separation.
This if you can get away with it. Or even an old 8" stock Explorer coil.
I use a sunray 5" coil. I love it for trashy areas,
This if the trash density is insane.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If moderate trash a Minelab 8", Sun Ray X-8 or the coil tek joey coil. They help in trash but not a huge difference you will see if you try the Sun Ray X-5. That is THE trash coil to have and I have used them all. I only have 2 coils I have kept for the E-Trac. Stock coil and the SunRay X-5. That coil is AMAZING in trash as the other guys have said. Takes FOREVER to cover an area but it will pay off as most people run from the really trashy areas and leave the goodies!

Holler if you have questions! I have many hours on all these coils.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input everyone. I was thinking either the coiltek joey or sunray X5 based on what I read before I posted this.

The only thing I have seen against the X5 it seems that cord is a little too wide so it is difficult to thread through the shaft on the E-trac. I noticed in Jason's video it was wound on the outside. Anyone have that issue?

Thanks,

Pete

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine how cord thickness would affect it going through the shaft. The easiest way to run ANY cable up the shaft is to drop a length of string through the shaft, tie it onto the connector head and pull it through.

Of course, the sunray probe control box makes that unneeded, and must easier.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't imagine how cord thickness would affect it going through the shaft. The easiest way to run ANY cable up the shaft is to drop a length of string through the shaft, tie it onto the connector head and pull it through.

Of course, the sunray probe control box makes that unneeded, and must easier.

Thanks for clarifying - so that was the probe cord wrapped around the shaft.

I read that comment somewhere about it being hard to go through the shaft, was just wondering if that was an issue or not.

Pete

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you saw the coil cable wrapped around the shaft old-school style. The probe box mounts on the upper shaft so the wire just wraps around and connects to it.

If there was any trouble with it going through the shaft, it would be because of the connector head and not the cable, unless you got a short cable that was hard to reach the upper box for a "normal" connection. I haven't heard of any other complaints so it may be isolated incedents, or else operator headspace and timing.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If moderate trash a Minelab 8", Sun Ray X-8 or the coil tek joey coil. They help in trash but not a huge difference you will see if you try the Sun Ray X-5. That is THE trash coil to have and I have used them all. I only have 2 coils I have kept for the E-Trac. Stock coil and the SunRay X-5. That coil is AMAZING in trash as the other guys have said. Takes FOREVER to cover an area but it will pay off as most people run from the really trashy areas and leave the goodies!

Holler if you have questions! I have many hours on all these coils.

Hi Bart thanks for the fast shipping and advice on the Sunray X-5. I had a quick 1/2 hour to test it out today in a trashy area and I like how well it performs. Can't wait to get some time on it in the next few weeks.

Also the E-trac rain cover fits nicely.

Thanks again

Pete

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Bart thanks for the fast shipping and advice on the Sunray X-5. I had a quick 1/2 hour to test it out today in a trashy area and I like how well it performs. Can't wait to get some time on it in the next few weeks.

Also the E-trac rain cover fits nicely.

Thanks again

Pete

Very welcome! Be sure to give us a good review on the X-5 after you get some time on it!

Last edited:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
My Joey coil works great on both Safari and Etrac, but the coiled cable is larger than that on the stock coil.
gotta use string to pull it thru the lower shaft, no big deal there.
Good luck with your Sunray !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread