X-Terra 705 Coils

Del Digger

Mar 22, 2006
Wilmington, DE
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett GTAX400, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my x-terra 705 for several months and am really happy with it but one of my hunting friends has a White MXT-Pro with a 10 or 12 inch double-d coil. He seems to find a lot more than I do. He claims that his operating frequency of 14khz and the coil makes the difference.

I am considering getting a double-d coil at 18.75 khz. It seems to me that the 7.5 khz frequency give the best all around results and so I'm now confused.

Can anyone give me some insight as to which coil would be the best choice? I search mostly parks, schools and occasionally on the beach in Delaware and Pa.

Thanks,

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're looking for depth, coverage, and pretty fair separatiion, then you might like the Coiltek 15" DD. If that's too big to be practical for your circumstances, then the 10½" MineLab DD would be a good choice. The Coiltek coil is waterproof as is the stock coil, but the 10½" is only water resistant. The 10½" is OK with the occational splash or wet grass, but shoultn't be submerged w/o sealing it up at a couple strategic points.

As far as frequency goes, you are correct in that 7.5kHz will give the most honest TID's accross the detected range. A lower frequency will hit on high conductors like copper and silver harder, and will be more honest ID'ing high conductors than low conductors like gold, lead, and iron. The 18.75kHz frequency is intended for low conductor accuracy, and will work well on gold, lead, and iron, but will typically not be as deep seeking or as honest on high conductor ID's. So if you're prospecting or relic hunting battlefields for lead, the HF coils are for you. Coiltek also just announced a new HF 15" DD that will be available the end of the month. If you're a coin shooter, then I'd suggest the 3kHz coils. MineLab only made a 9" CC in LF, but it was recently announced that Coiltek is also producing both 15"DD and 6"DD LF coils, again available the end of the month.

It all has to do with the intended target's response to the frequency selected, target segment bin widths running the different frequencies, and the need/want for depth and/or separaton.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are coin shooting...By all means the 3KHz will serve you very well. That is if you can find one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread