1700s cellar hole first time relic hunting with the Etrac tomorrow, any tips advise

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1700's cellar hole first time relic hunting with the Etrac tomorrow, any tips advise

Guys I have permission to hunt a very early cellar hole in PA on private land. Owner believes its mid 1700's. He's owned the property for 40 years and no one has ever detected it to his knowledge, so I'm hoping to get some interesting finds. I have a long ride out tomorrow, about 2 1/2 hours, and I really want to make the best of my first experience with my 9 yr. old son and the etrac. Please share your thoughts on any settings, TTF etc. as well as what to look out for while we're out there, trees well etc. The owner has owned this land for 40 years and he only has a small weekend cabin there that has no electricity. Just a huge propane tank for lighting and a wood burning stove for heat, and of course an outhouse :thumbsup: The cellar hole is located approx. half a mile from the cabin, so it's going to be an interesting trek through the woods with my son and gear. I'd love to find anything old, but would love an old coin or two. There's a stream not far from the hole as well.

Thanks TNET!!

HH to all :occasion14:

p.s. I'll definitely post pics of the site and any finds we make!!

Last edited:

greg755

Feb 2, 2008
Seneca Falls, NY
No settings, ALL METAL mode. Dig Everything. bring a long probe with you ( a long thin metal rod with a tee handle) so you can look for any trash site/bottles. Try to look and find any depressions in the ground for an "out house" or trash dump. If you find any burned trash carefully check it for coins and bottles. If there are still walls left detect those as well. Check the corners both inside and outside the basement. Look for any signs of any other out build or livestock area where there might have been foot traffic.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greg gave ya pretty good advice! Small trash coils are a huge help in iron infested sites. Hopefully yours will be somewhat clean.

May 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask the landowner if there are any wells that's he's aware of. If the property owner hadn't pointed a well-hidden well out to me, I may have fallen in.

OP
OP
strateloss

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
585925 said:
Ask the landowner if there are any wells that's he's aware of. If the property owner hadn't pointed a well-hidden well out to me, I may have fallen in.

Will do!!

Thanks for the tips everyone!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't left yet, be sure to watch out for snakes. Others gave good advice. Don't forget to check the walls and any old chicken coops.

OP
OP
strateloss

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked my ass off at this site. Being my first time at a hole, I seriously underestimated the amount of signals that could come from one place. I did make a few finds, there were 2 sites and what looked like 2 wells. I'll
Make a post shortly in today's finds.

Thanks for all the tips!!
Eddie

L

lost hunter

strateloss said:
I worked my ass off at this site. Being my first time at a hole, I seriously underestimated the amount of signals that could come from one place. I did make a few finds, there were 2 sites and what looked like 2 wells. I'll
Make a post shortly in today's finds.

Thanks for all the tips!!
Eddie

Tons of trash in those cellar holes

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I do a lot of cellar holes the last one i got almost $78.00 of scrap iron out of it....& i did have some good finds also...... But i don't talk about my good find's.... So dig it all............ I don't mind telling about my scrap iron.........

OP
OP
strateloss

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
I do a lot of cellar holes the last one i got almost $78.00 of scrap iron out of it....& i did have some good finds also...... But i don't talk about my good find's.... So dig it all............ I don't mind telling about my scrap iron.........

Well said!!

I should've concentrated on 1 structure at a time and dug all signals. Instead I kind of hop'd around and spent a lot of time I didn't have. A learning experience. At least I know it's never been touched with a detector, that much I'm sure of.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread