Can someone help me with this E Trac PLEASE!!

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't thought of that myself...I may invest in an X-1 after reading this. What is the depth on the Sun Ray when using it as the secondary coil to pinpoint?
Unfortunately you are correct about the pinpoint mode with the e-trac, There is no masking when in pinpoint mode, and no way to enable it. The detector will simply grab the strongest signal, which is typically iron or aluminum. In trashy areas this can be extremely frustrating, and you're left digging every target in a 1Ft radius. One way around this problem is using a switchable in-line pinpoint probe, like the Sunray x-1, as it can be used like a small hand-held main-coil, allowing you to utilize the masking functions that you bought the e-trac for in the first place. A pin-pointer that ignores undesirable targets sure can save a lot of time and effort.
Your also correct about pinpointing while in masking mode. Using the notch in the double-D coil can get you about a 1-2 inch radius pinpoint area. Coming up on a target it will be at the notch in the front of the coil, and conversely backing into the target it will be centered at the rear notch.

Don't get me wrong, some people enjoy digging every target, and that's fine for them, but that kind of hunting just isn't for me.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Cabelas wont help you. They are a chain store, not a metal detector "dealer". All they know is what printed on the box.

I'm happy to offer advice and help to anyone who wants it, but for the others chiming in about how much they hate it, etc. Go back to your toy detectors. If you want to learn to use it, start with the advice I already offered in this thread.
..... Jason... Is right all they know at Cabelas about the detectors they sell... Is what is printed on the box..........

halfstep

May 11, 2010
Unfortunately you are correct about the pinpoint mode with the e-trac, There is no masking when in pinpoint mode, and no way to enable it. The detector will simply grab the strongest signal, which is typically iron or aluminum. In trashy areas this can be extremely frustrating, and you're left digging every target in a 1Ft radius. One way around this problem is using a switchable in-line pinpoint probe, like the Sunray x-1, as it can be used like a small hand-held main-coil, allowing you to utilize the masking functions that you bought the e-trac for in the first place. A pin-pointer that ignores undesirable targets sure can save a lot of time and effort.
Your also correct about pinpointing while in masking mode. Using the notch in the double-D coil can get you about a 1-2 inch radius pinpoint area. Coming up on a target it will be at the notch in the front of the coil, and conversely backing into the target it will be centered at the rear notch.

Don't get me wrong, some people enjoy digging every target, and that's fine for them, but that kind of hunting just isn't for me.

Me neither. If I wanted to dig everything, I wouldn't have spent a lot of money on a detector.

Jesse Lermon

Greenie
Jan 24, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx3030,Minelab E trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a test bed to learn coin signals.I had a mxt and the e trac will destroy it trust me go on youtube as well it will make a world of difference. but don't give up it is a silver monster my silver count almost quadrupled when i switched.

Jesse Lermon

Greenie
Jan 24, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx3030,Minelab E trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpoint is worthless on it do the wiggle back and forth and it works good unless its on edge lol

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking about buying the e trac but after reading this thread, i think i`ll just stick to purchasing the F75 Ltd.The e trac has alot of good reviews by the ppl who understand how it operates but for the type of hunting i typically do,Id probably spend more time trying to figure out all of the features i didnt want to use instead of learning the ones that i do. Best of luck with your new machine,If you swing it long enough,You`ll gett`er figured out.

HH John

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpoint is worthless on it do the wiggle back and forth and it works good unless its on edge lol

No it's not, it pinpoints great. You just have to learn how. The wiggle back method works too as long as you don't have a lot of targets close together.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a test bed to learn coin signals.I had a mxt and the e trac will destroy it trust me go on youtube as well it will make a world of difference. but don't give up it is a silver monster my silver count almost quadrupled when i switched.

My silver count has skyrocketted since I got my E-Trac. It's easily 20 times more than I have ever found before. I know many detectorists who had found ZERO silver, they bought an E-Trac, and are now pulling dozens a year.

I don't put down other peoples gear, and any detector can (and does) find silver. But I have seen first hand how much silver the E-trac pulls. It's just incredible and if you haven't used one, you probably can't understand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread