dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I a coworker is looking for a new detector, he's currently using a whites DFX he was looking at an Xterra 705. He's wondering how close are these 2 machines or what other machine is the 705 is comparable.
Pretty much and info on the 705

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 705 is Very lightweight, can change frequency with a coil swap and has auto tracking. Very nice features to have!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing else out like the 705. The CTX shares some of the technology originated in the Xterra, but it's the only one so far that has anywhere near the digital componentry. V-flex technology is unique. Comparing it directly to a VLF, BBS, or FBS is tough because each is so different from each other.

In terms of useful features, it has several including auto/manual GB, auto/manual Noise Cancel, GB Tracking, Tracking Offset, Pinpoint ID or Pinpoint Sizing, Beach Mode, Prospecting Mode, choice of 1,2,3,4, or 28 tones, and the ability to change between 3kHz, 7.5kHz, and 18.75kHz by changing coils.
It's a really flexible and capable machine.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased a 705 and it came yesterday. I didn't get to play with it much as the ground here is frozen. I set it up turned it on and tried a few different settings but I love it so far. I haven't been active in the hobby and only dabble in the past as my old detector was on old radio shack model from around 1995.
as I use this unit and learn more about it, I will post more for others benefit.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased a 705 and it came yesterday. I didn't get to play with it much as the ground here is frozen. I set it up turned it on and tried a few different settings but I love it so far. I haven't been active in the hobby and only dabble in the past as my old detector was on old radio shack model from around 1995.
as I use this unit and learn more about it, I will post more for others benefit.
If you haven't already, you should go to the Minelab website and sign up. Then go to the "MEMBERS" area and download Randy Horton's free E-book "Understanding Your Xterra". And while you're at it, go to the "TREASURE TALK" area and a few pages in you'll find a four part blog that Randy wrote on "Which Xterra Coil Is Best For Me?". All are good reads and well worth the time.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longhair said:
If you haven't already, you should go to the Minelab website and sign up. Then go to the "MEMBERS" area and download Randy Horton's free E-book "Understanding Your Xterra". And while you're at it, go to the "TREASURE TALK" area and a few pages in you'll find a four part blog that Randy wrote on "Which Xterra Coil Is Best For Me?". All are good reads and well worth the time.

Thanks, i saw and downloaded the ebook. Sarted to read it and decided to read the manual again first. Thanks for the i fo on the coils. I did register but havent looked around there much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions