Looking for a new machine

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
I've always had tesoro metal detectors, because i heard they were good machines and in my price range. But I'm finding that the more I get into this hobby that I want a better metal detector something that gives me a little bit of identification, at least with what probable metal that's in the ground.. I'm finding that it's difficult learning the Tesoro tone and trying to ID the target by sound... My budget is about $1000-$1500 any opinions?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jump on an expensive Minelab or Whites machine with the sporty screen and custom programs! You'll love looking at the liitle VDI numbers and playing with the neat programs. But discrimination is still discrimination, and those cool screens and cute little readouts still won't tell you the difference between a pulltab, tin foil, and a gold ring. Keep the two Tesoro machines, because in the end, you'll probably come back to them. Good Luck!

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
For that money I would go with an E-Trac (or used CTX if you can find one). I am back with the E-Trac from the CTX as the performance is pretty close and I liked the sounds and the breakdown (3 piece not 2) of the E-Trac. The CTX sure shines though. As the other poster said, you can look at a White's unit - the V3i for that price range. If you ground doesn't have much mineralization the V3i and E-Trac are pretty similar but in my somewhat mineralized ground I got better depth the E-Trac. Both are great machines for sure.

Also, consider the sounds, balance, etc. Both above machines are a bit heavy and poorly balanced. The CTX is even heavier but the balance is perfect (though I still felt the weight after 4 hours or so). I just love the E-Trac sounds, superior to the CTX and V3i in my opinion (but the V3i gives you much more flexibility if you really need that). I just stick with multi conductive. The E-Trac is a simple and deep and fun machine. Just wish it was lighter...

Oh, I'm a coin hunter and the E-Trac excels there. The V3i could be argued to be better on jewelery I suppose (due to many factors) but the E-Trac still does well there and jewelery is not my main thing, nor is relics.

Albert

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've always had tesoro metal detectors, because i heard they were good machines and in my price range. But I'm finding that the more I get into this hobby that I want a better metal detector something that gives me a little bit of identification, at least with what probable metal that's in the ground.. I'm finding that it's difficult learning the Tesoro tone and trying to ID the target by sound... My budget is about $1000-$1500 any opinions?

If your a silver coin hunter there is nothing better than the Minelab E-Trac in that price range. The ability to use 28 frequencies really give an advantage to that machine. I have found more silver with mine than all my detectors put together.

holler if you have questions or looking for a good TNet deal! Bart

OP
OP
joshuajbelanger

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
I'm def thinking about the etrac. I've always heard great things about it. Thanks for all the advice!!!

idighistoryiniowa

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2012
Clive Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelabe Etrac with Sunray Probe & Excal II
Etrac for sure. I hunt with a buddy that bought the 3030 but I still out hunt him. I think the two are about the same at hearing signal and determining what to dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread