🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took my new E-trac on it's first run

I got the box with my detector early yesterday morning and spent the rest of the day and into the late night reading the manual, browsing Andy Sabisch's book and air testing sounds with my box of test coins. There's still a ton of stuff I need to learn, but I felt like I knew enough to take it out for a few hours today. I specifically went to an area I'd worked pretty hard earlier this year to see how much, if any, I missed with my DFX 300. This area is historically young, so I know there's no silver in it, but it has high traffic so there's usually something to be found. Anyway, after a couple of hours I'd picked up another $3.23 in clad, 8 quarters, 11 dimes and 13 pennies. I must admit after reading so often that many people have difficulties learning this machine, I felt a little anxious when I first fired it up. However, I thought it was pretty easy to run. Granted, I've only got two hours operating time on it, but I think my other machine will be up for sale pretty soon. The only issue I had with the E-trac was pinpointing with the DD coil. It seems most of the coins I dug would be behind the center point....and on dimes they were often several inches from where I X'd the dig point. Any tips on pinpointing? I have an X-1 probe inbound and it should be here on Monday and that should help somewhat.

Mike

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pin pointing with a new machine takes practice. I use the Minelab wiggle.
Glad you like it. One heck of a machine!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On surface coins, it sometimes helps to raise the coil a few inches off the ground. You might also try backing off with the coil until you no longer get a signal. At that point, the target should be just an inch or so in front of the edge of your coil.

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I get when I cross a very shallow coin, one inch to surface, is a double hit, like two coins may be there. But usually one hit is a bit softer and not as good hit as the other. So I pinpoint (using normal pinpoint mode). When I do this Iwill get two pinpoint positions as well. One is nice and loud like a shallow target should sound, and the other is softer. For me, its always the louder one and once Ive retrieved it, I scan again to double check if it was possible another coin was there. Also, after a good pinpoint, the target is always right under the coil where the shaft attaches.
Hang in there, we have all been there. Do a lot of hunting in high traffic areas or totlots till you get the hang of it and the signals, it want take you long.
If you coin hunt, that factory coin mode isnt to bad, I would open up the top right hand corner of the disc pattern tho because as it is, it discs out large silver coins, like silver dollars.
After you get use to it, then play with the settings. Cause if you start out now changing things, you will get frustrated.
And remember, the ETrac or any other machine are not gonna make coins appear under your coil. Location,location,location. You gotta have a good spot to find the good stuff.
hh,
John

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the feature were it shows the loop over the target and how deep down it is away from the coil over head...Awesome total-y... it's like having a speed trap on the pitch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread