Explain how turning down the sensitivity on the Sovereign increases finds?

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I understand...but not exactly. I have been reading and re-reading,
"Finding Gold,Silver and Coins with the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur metal detectors" by Clive James Clynick. I'd like to get in touch with him: I'd do some good illustrations/drawings for the book if there are going to be more printed. I am an illustrator and do very nice drawings for illustrative purposes.

Samuelljackson

Dec 4, 2012
Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My understanding of this concept, is the higher the sensitivity, the more ground you detector has to cancel out. In that process some targets may get canceled out along with the extra sand and water. But I've only really heard of this being successful in saltwater settings. I've tried it from time to time when the targets have been few and far between, but it didn't really change my luck with the excal.

Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop. YTD Finds: Gold: 11 Sliver: 13 Platinum: 3 Rings Returned: 1

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....too high of sens. on any detector is like running high beams in fog

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...that's what I understood but it seems to defeat the purpose of having a sensitivity setting, other than having the ability to turn it down. I know that turning it down to eliminate excess noise that can mask good audio signals is an an old school technique, but this detecting too much of the ground as part of the signal because the sensitivity is set too high is a new concept/epiphany to me. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this elsewhere but relavent to all detectors I have used..Some believe sensitvity control depth and it does to a certain extent.. Most detectors reach their max depth at about 70-75% of the sensitivity setting.. From there up you are increasing the sensitivity to smaller objects.. I believe the pops and crackles are tiny amounts of metals and minerals that the machine is picking up at high sensitivity levels, sometimes coverering or interfering with the signals of better targets..​

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right , well that is what the book is getting at partially...that is, coins that are more likely an alloy, like nickels etc., are possibly mixed or confused with the ground with the sensitivity higher, because the detector is trying to separate the different metals in that coin or object and so the signal is not clean/good or maybe there is no signal at all...actually maybe I am getting myself confused...maybe it's that there are overlapping issues...this is the sort of issue that makes a person feel they need to dig every iffy signal. Could be I am confusing the different results from the two different modes: discriminate and all metal.:BangHead::dontknow:???:icon_scratch:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i have had every Sovereign model Minelab made..........................And with every one i always got my best results by......Running the sensitivity in ..auto ..... And that is still all i ever run it in is auto............ I never take it out of auto never touch that Sens knob...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Explain how turning down the sensitivity on the Sovereign increases finds?

CJC is a distant friend of mine but this is where I differ....One must know the surrounding conditions and beable to adjust the detector being used as needed because every beach/location is different. I run a few excalibur's (Hot) about 10o'clock and 9 in PP mode all diff coils (8, 10, WOT) and full volume. Just outside of Auto (9 being full senstivity), on my favorite saltwater beach, wetsand to just into to the surf. The secret is.....you will find many things affect conditions, from salinty, water temp, matrix of the sand and the list goes on... always do a test on a deep faint target once you get there...in AM/PP mode.....and find out what works best on your beach.

This is in the PP mode only, to high for Discriminate mode. Once you see what works in PP/AM mode switch over to Disc and adjust on the same target and make sure you do a good pass so the detector is reading everything....make sure your volume is full....

And adjust that senstivity low and see what happens to the deep faint targets...gone!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll disagree with everyone who says turning down sense on the "sovereign" increases finds.

Turning it all the way up increases deep finds, But will drive you nutz with sounds.
I would imagine if you could hunt like this for a month straight & not end up crying uncontrollably,
you could get used to it but ?

Auto Sense on the Sovereign will get you the most finds.

Turning it down will get you all the surface stuff.

No I won't argue this point, Because I already Know I am right on this.

the Sovereign has "True Auto" it may be the only detector with it. I don't know,
but was told it is.

IF it can run hot it will adjust, if it can't it will adjust.

you will hear popping as it adjusts, just keep swinging slow & it will smooth out as it
adjusts to optimum sense.

only thing it won't adjust for is "Electric interference" (aliens)
you must turn down & Sacrifice sense during alien electric deathray attack.
(those who experienced it know what I mean)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll disagree with everyone who says turning down sense on the "sovereign" increases finds.

Turning it all the way up increases deep finds, But will drive you nutz with sounds.
I would imagine if you could hunt like this for a month straight & not end up crying uncontrollably,
you could get used to it but ?

Auto Sense on the Sovereign will get you the most finds.

Turning it down will get you all the surface stuff.

No I won't argue this point, Because I already Know I am right on this.

the Sovereign has "True Auto" it may be the only detector with it. I don't know,
but was told it is.

IF it can run hot it will adjust, if it can't it will adjust.

you will hear popping as it adjusts, just keep swinging slow & it will smooth out as it
adjusts to optimum sense.

(those who experienced it know what I mean)

"CJC is a distant friend of mine but this is where I differ....One must know the surrounding conditions and beable to adjust the detector being used as needed because every beach/location is different. I run a few excalibur's (Hot) about 10o'clock and 9 in PP mode all diff coils (8, 10, WOT) and full volume. Just outside of Auto (9 being full senstivity), on my favorite saltwater beach, wetsand to just into to the surf. The secret is.....you will find many things affect conditions, from salinty, water temp, matrix of the sand and the list goes on... always do a test on a deep faint target once you get there...in AM/PP mode.....and find out what works best on your beach.

This is in the PP mode only, to high for Discriminate mode. Once you see what works in PP/AM mode switch over to Disc and adjust on the same target and make sure you do a good pass so the detector is reading everything....make sure your volume is full....

And adjust that senstivity low and see what happens to the deep faint targets...gone!"

Also like,"
(those who experienced it know what I mean) " :weather_lightning:

Hmmmthanks for the info I see some different theories I like to hear as much as I can to sift through.

Last edited:

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
On all, or most :icon_scratch:? metal detectors coil transmitter works on constant designed power and its absolutely no different on what ground condition coil are and on what sensitivity detector works , sensitivity change only what we can hear from Receiver coil and what we want not, its like some sort receive Volume. But using little bit lower sensitivity can help our brains and detectors to work more stable and faster, this is why auto sensitivity has some logic. Sorry if I said something incorrect :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions