Winding the coil cable around the shaft (Minelab XT18000)

PhotoScout

Greenie
Nov 15, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, MineLab XT 18000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering if it makes a difference in the way the coil cable is wrapped around the shaft.

The illustration was copied from the original Instruction Manual. But in the photo, the way the cable is wrapped is how it was when I got it back from Minelab USA in Las Vegas (after a repair).

CoilWrapInstructions.jpg

CoilWrap.jpg

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
its usually no different except if bulk of cable is close to coil, or cable connected to shaft very tide not allowing coil move freely.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its usually no different except if bulk of cable is close to coil, or cable connected to shaft very tide not allowing coil move freely.

:thumbsup: just means make sure it's tight and as even as possible to keep things stable

Your's looks fine if it doesn't move when you swing

Last edited:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some say i is better to have the coil out to the side and not wrapped around the shaft at all. At least it shouldn't be wrapped around the bottom near the coil.
:thumbsup: just means make sure it's tight and as even as possible to keep things stable

Your's looks fine if it doesn't move when you swing

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEVER wrap cord around the lower rod! Always run it straight up the plastic lower rod, and wrap it at least 20" above! It WILL give you a more sensitive coil!!!

Attachments

• wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 175

Dirt.Is.Good.4U

Nov 27, 2012
Nicholasville, KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, White's Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is this true for every detector?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably true for most all detectors with a coil and a shaft. The less extraneous metal you have near the coil the better(Think about it: even the coil bolt is plastic)

Is this true for every detector?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread