Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started using a Minelab Explorer SE Pro about 8 months ago and I've always been meaning to ask...

Let's say you're hunting in smartfind with the graph and you get a nice signal with the cursor in the upper right corner. You go over the target 6-8 times and the cursor is still in the upper right corner. Next, you go into pinpoint mode but notice that the cursor has now jumped way over to the left of the screen after going over the target. My question is this... Is the reading (both digital & smartfind) more accurate after pinpointing? If you have a good signal at first but then after pinpointing it appears to be a junk signal, do you move along? I generally go with my initial reading but I've had mixed results.

Does this make sense? Anyone have any input?

THX

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never really thought about that. I just usually use all metal mode to pinpoint and do not pay attention to the grid.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never really thought about that. I just usually use all metal mode to pinpoint and do not pay attention to the grid.

When in digital mode the VDI number often change as well after pinpointing... Not always but often. Check it out next hunt!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if your going by #'s your missing good targets! I dig by audio. # are just to confirm it. Audio audio audio....​

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are missing the point of my question

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going over the target 6-8 times doesn't mean that you are giving the machine time to properly identify the target, especially if it's near max detection depth. Changing to pinpoint mode (which is also a different circut), puts the coil over the target slowly enough and long enough for it to get a better look.
It's hard to go "too slow" with an Explorer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions