Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

oldpropguy

Greenie
Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like and use the Sun Ray Pro Gold with my E-trac. I like the individual volume control on each ear cup. You can turn the volume down to hear just a low hum, but when you hit a target they sing like the volume is turned up to max. They are very comfortable for me, soft leather ear cushions, and they don't crush my head. Like I said they work for me. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input Oldpropguy.

Also thinking about going to wireless, so I don't mess up the next pair of headphones.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
I use the Grey Ghost Deep Woods model. I don't like having knobs as when I take them off I often manage to move the knobs and the detector has a volume adjustment, so I do it there. Also, I had a pair of Grey Ghost DMC's for years and the cord on those just doesn't break. You can always get the NDT (No Down Time) model, with removable cords if that is a concern.

The E-Trac hits those silver coins "high" if you have the variability set high (and limits higher I believe as well). What I have found is that the Grey Ghost headphones hit those highs great. I had Chef Phones CP3's and though they were GREAT headphones, they didn't hit the highs anywhere near like the Grey Ghosts. They did give a more descriptive sound on the lows though. On another forum Rob (a mod) mentioned the following
Tremendous difference in sound between RAT Phones and PRO GOLD. The RAT phones have a "deeper, robust" sound. The PRO GOLD phones produce a very "crisp" audio, almost like all the "bass" had been removed. Since I have a high frequency hearing loss in both ears, I prefer the RAT phone audio.

I also have a pair of the XP backphones. They are really inexpensive, not very durable looking, but they have a GREAT sound and are GREAT on those hot days. They hit the highs pretty well and have a very crisp sound. They pack small, folded up, in a small case, great to have as a backup as well.

So, get headphones that suite both your hearing and style of hunting!

Hope that helped,
Albert

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like and use the Sun Ray Pro Gold with my E-trac. I like the individual volume control on each ear cup. You can turn the volume down to hear just a low hum, but when you hit a target they sing like the volume is turned up to max. They are very comfortable for me, soft leather ear cushions, and they don't crush my head. Like I said they work for me. :icon_thumright:

Sun Ray Pro Golds are my favorite no matter the machine I am swinging. Love them!

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to be free of the wired headphones and don't have much money to spend on wireless, here's the solution I use:

The H3070 2.4GHz digital wireless headset by Rapoo. They are very light, easy to operate, have a long battery life (lithium), have adjustable volume on headset, are very comfortable (headphones weigh 3 ozs - very light), and the xmitter is tiny. The cost was $40.20 shipped.

And there is no audio lag time (RF not Bluetooth) - I have no problem with them. Just plug the 3.5mm jack into a 6.35mm (1/4") converter and Velcro the xmitter at the back of the E-Trac. Syncing the xmitter to the headphones is very easy and painless - push a button on each and they find each other - without fail.

The headphones also don't turn off during operation (some have as a power saving feature when there is no audio - but not these). The 350 mAh battery is rated to last 6 hours - but I've hunted way longer (over 10 hours) and it was still going strong.

Attachments

• Rapoo Headset H3070.gif
    Rapoo Headset H3070.gif
    43.2 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wireless is great I have some similar phones and I don't miss the tangling cord.
If you want to be free of the wired headphones and don't have much money to spend on wireless, here's the solution I use:

The H3070 2.4GHz digital wireless headset by Rapoo. They are very light, easy to operate, have a long battery life (lithium), have adjustable volume on headset, are very comfortable (headphones weigh 3 ozs - very light), and the xmitter is tiny. The cost was $40.20 shipped.

And there is no audio lag time (RF not Bluetooth) - I have no problem with them. Just plug the 3.5mm jack into a 6.35mm (1/4") converter and Velcro the xmitter at the back of the E-Trac. Syncing the xmitter to the headphones is very easy and painless - push a button on each and they find each other - without fail.

The headphones also don't turn off during operation (some have as a power saving feature when there is no audio - but not these). The 350 mAh battery is rated to last 6 hours - but I've hunted way longer (over 10 hours) and it was still going strong.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*** Wireless is great I have some similar phones and I don't miss the tangling cord. ***

Can't stand to have the headphones yanked off by a tangled cord. When digging hate to have the cord repeatedly falling into your face - it's maddening. Stand up and you having a bit of the cord under your boot - bang, off come the darn headphones again. Put them on again - stand up and cord is caught on a twig - headphones yanked off again. Nope - it's got to be wireless. Wouldn't use wired headphones if you paid me. For $40 all the headphone troubles go away.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the suggestion. I did get a pair of the sunray gold's from Bart, but need some better weather to try them in the field.

For $40 I will check out the wireless as well, that is my ideal solution.

Happy New Year

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is where I got mine....Get Diggin' Headphones
Thanks for the suggestion. I did get a pair of the sunray gold's from Bart, but need some better weather to try them in the field.

For $40 I will check out the wireless as well, that is my ideal solution.

Happy New Year

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread