Identifying Multiple targets with the CTX 3030...explain?

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although I do not have a CTX 3030, I am incredibly fascinated with the feature that allows you to identify multiple targets under the coil. Anyone care to explain and or share their experiences with that?
I have had quite a few instances where there were multiple targets under the coil at the same time.. Here is a video that shows a few of those I caught on film. . Those instances are towards the end of the video. A couple of them was a wheat and trash and I identify them. The last is several coins in the same hole...

Most of the time when it is multiple targets(good) on the screen they are usually in a straight line horizontally across the screen. Coins 9x out of ten will be really close the the 12 conductive line( 12-13, 12-38, 12-44(nickel, wheat, dime) and junk items will stray off of that line. I use the combine/with ferrous coin and some of the junk signals will be a blue towards the bottom. I have had good(usually coin) and junk on the screen at the same time... When you do have multiple coins on the screen the tone will be the coin closest to the center of the coil. The target trace is what makes the multiple targets show up. The coil isn't seeing all of the targets at once but what it is doing as you swing over the targets it will leave a signature of each target as the center of the dd goes over it. If the targets are right next to each other the machine will register one tone maybe two and will paint each target. With several swings over that one spot the machine continues to paint those same targets over and over, thus leaving darker signatures to help identify them. In the event the coins are in a straight line directly away from you the machine will still accept those signals and try to paint each one.

I have tested and had the machine paint at up to 4(not including trash) before the blending starts.. that's why it is good to come in at a different angle when getting a mixed or larger than normal signature painted on the screen and the signal doesn't SOUND huge in the headphones( in other words it sounds like it is coin sized) In the event the coins are the same denomination you will get blending no matter what. The only way to discern those is listening for individual beeps. Again listening to the "size" of tone through the headphones can help tell you that you may have multiple coins, even though the painted signature looks larger..
Evan
Gonehunting for History

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots to absorb here, very interesting. Thanks will read/watch some more when I get a chance!:find:

pulltabpirate

Greenie
Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm assuming that you have to be running combined, which I don't mind as I am elated to adjust the pitches of my targets, but do you also have to be in AM to get the junk signatures with the coin? I've seen the cursor show up on junk, but no color index in areas I have disced out.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you are running in combined/ferrous coin you will get a blue signature on the junk targets.. if you are in combined/groundcoin it will be red.. Yes you should be seeing the junk items painted on the screen even though it is disc but you won't hear it.. At least that is what I remember.. I have mode one with only one line of discrim and mode two with quite a bit of discrim just to see if the targets change when in the trash... then in the user button I have the last mode used in a 50 tone low trash, to help in IDing coins in are where there are a lot of clad coins. The combined ferrous coin setting will show a difference in dollar, and half dollar coins than the other settings like low trash or high trash..ex in c/fc dollar coins hit a solid 12-42,43 in 50 tone low trash they hit 01-40to43 like the E-TRAC. not sure why it is like that, but I found a franklin half that the numbers changed when I switched modes cause the target was about 7 inches and sounded larger.. The morgan I found hit a sold 12-42,43 and it sounded huge.. but I hadn't figured out the difference in settings till after it was found. hope that helps.. if you have any questions just ask. I will try to pass along what I have seen so far..

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all good information for when I can afford a 3030, sounds fascinating...I'm leaning more and more towards having a computerized detector as well as the more analog detectors I already have. I will always like switches to adjust. The only computerized detector I have used is the original Explorer which I owned for a number of years but got frustrated with so much that I opted to use my XS2aPro the majority of the time. From what I have learned about the Etrac and am learning about the 3030, I am going to HAVE to force my self to practice, seems well worth it. Now I'm just waiting til there are enough used 3030's out there that I can buy one for under 1500: I have a seen a few, the lowest being about 1600.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think you will be sorry when you do... It is definitely tops...

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it back this one went for $1500 so Ill keep my hopes up... Minelab CTX 3030 Starter Pack Metal Detector | eBay
This is all good information for when I can afford a 3030, sounds fascinating...I'm leaning more and more towards having a computerized detector as well as the more analog detectors I already have. I will always like switches to adjust. The only computerized detector I have used is the original Explorer which I owned for a number of years but got frustrated with so much that I opted to use my XS2aPro the majority of the time. From what I have learned about the Etrac and am learning about the 3030, I am going to HAVE to force my self to practice, seems well worth it. Now I'm just waiting til there are enough used 3030's out there that I can buy one for under 1500: I have a seen a few, the lowest being about 1600.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be VERY VERY careful when buying detectors off ebay. There are many fake machines being made by china right now and the higher priced ones are some of the hardest hit. I have had several customers call me that got burned buying fake machines off bay here as of late. Best to buy in person on a used machine if possible or from a authorized dealer.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have actually seen and researched quite a few of the fakes...I imagine they are working on a CTX 3030 by now.
Be VERY VERY careful when buying detectors off ebay. There are many fake machines being made by china right now and the higher priced ones are some of the hardest hit. I have had several customers call me that got burned buying fake machines off bay here as of late. Best to buy in person on a used machine if possible or from a authorized dealer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread