Safari and Xtera 705 Questions

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking at getting a new land detector and am really leaning towards a Whites MXT Pro, but keep looking at the Safari and 705. I hunt coins and rings and have little to no mineralization in the soil. I am looking for a deep coin detector with a decent display. I know a lot of you are going to say get the E-trac, I can't afford that one right now. From what I have read:

Safari: Slow recovery time, poor balance, must swing slow, easy to learn, good depth, likes silver. Can somebody with experience on this detector give me their thoughts on it?

Xtera 705: A real silver killer with the 3Khz coil, additional coils are high priced, depth is no better than competing VLF detectors, good balance, lightweight, easy to learn. Can somebody with experience on this detector give me some thoughts on it?

Convince me there's not poison in the Koolaid! :laughing7:

Best yet if somebody has used one of these and the MXT Pro I would be real interested in you comparisons of them. I am mainly a coin hunter. I have also considered an F70, F75, GTI 2500, and AT Pro. I have read the Fishers are more sensitive to EMI than most detectors and the menus etc. are awkward. I know the GTI 2500 is old, but about 8-9 years ago I had a GTaX 450 that was a real coin killer. The AT Pro I hear good and bad about and would get the Whites MXT Pro before this one. Yep and I know the learn how to use your detector stuff and you will find more. I am fine with that, I just want to learn one that will get good depth consistently on coins.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For starters, coils for the 705 aren't any more expensive than they are for any good machine.
Over the MXT?
By going to the Xterra you'll lose 1.7lbs.
Beyond that, you'll run on half the batteries, you'll have three frequencies to choose from instead of just one, you'll have 8 search modes instead of 3, you'll have auto/manual GB, GB Tracking and adjustable Tracking Offset, you'll have 28 tones instead of 7, you'll have 2 Pinpoint modes, and you'll have auto/manual Noise Cancel Channel. Go to kellyco's compare page and check it out for yourself.

It also has a unique ability to be tailored to the task. By selecting the proper coil, it can keep up with bigger dogs that cost twice as much. I've use all three of the available 3kHz coils, and they rip high conductors like copper and silver like no other machine save the DFX. But the 705 again beats the DFX with features, not the least of which is being able to run 18.75kHz for gold or relic hunts. With 11 available coils from 6" to 15" in three frequencies, you can set up for speciffic targets and speciffic circumstances all with one machine.

The Safari is a good unit too, but it is the lower end FBS machine. A used Explorer SE would be better, and could be had for the price of a new Safari. But I must say that a 705 is going to be faster, lighter, and a new enough technology that the line will continue to expand, while FBS is fading in lew of FBS2 (which shares certain aspects of Xterra's V-flex technology).

Really, it's a matter of what's important to YOU. Neither Minelab is a bad machine, but I wouldn't bother looking at an MXT, Pro or otherwise, unless it's dirt cheap.

JMHO, and worth what you paid for it.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's obvious you like the 705. What kind of depth have you gotten on coins with it?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rainyday101 said:
It's obvious you like the 705.
I like my Explorer too, but they are very different machines. I've encountered places that are nearly unhuntable with the Explorer that the Xterra doesn't skip a beat.
rainyday101 said:
What kind of depth have you gotten on coins with it?
Depth will be largely limited by your soil conditions, coupled with targets sought, coil size, and configuration. Where I am is glacial moraine, and conditions can change dramaticly in 50ft at some sites. With the stock coil I've dug coins as deep as 10" in mild ground. And most recently I've been hunting with the 15" 3kHz Coiltek coil, which I don't use anywhere that I don't want to be seen with a shovel. Last outing, I didn't bother with anything shallower than 8", and some were 12"+.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listen to Longhair! The dude knows his stuff! If you have more questions or need help feel free to give me a ring. Be glad to help you and make you a great deal! Bart

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How is that 705 on target separation in trashy areas? You definitely have my attention with the depths you are getting in mild ground (which is what I have here). I know there are many good detectors out there, but I want to get it right the first time and get one I can learn and become extremely proficient with so I don't have to upgrade for awhile. Any info on Safari experience by somebody would be great also.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is that 705 on target separation in trashy areas?
Separation is a matter of coil size and search pattern configuration. 7 of the 11 coils available for the 705 are DD configuration, and have great separation abilities. In extremely dense trash, the 6" DD coils are king, but lack the depth of larger coils. A 10.5" DD coil will separate well, but if trash targets are numerous enough as to be 6-8" apart, then a 6" will out perform them. If trash is more sparse, then the larger DD will do better and miss fewer deeper finds.

It's all a matter of compromise. A small coil will pick through trash better, but will be depth limited. A larger coil will see deeper, but at the cost of separation. A Concentric coil will see deeper than a same size DD, but will suffer if mineralization or trash density is high.
This is one reason why having so many choices of configuration and frequency make the Xterra such a flexible and versitile machine.

If you're looking to the future, then you might be interested in the latest Minelab newsletter. Here's an excerp that indicates where Minelab is headed.
Sovereign GT and Explorer SE Pro Retiring from Minelab
spacer.gif

Minelab will be retiring two of our existing metal detectors as of December 31, 2012. These are:

Both the Sovereign GT and the Explorer SE Pro have been highly successful Minelab products for many years and we are proud of the history that both of these detectors carry with them. With the addition of the new CTX 3030
and our continued investment into the X-TERRA family, the Excalibur II, Safari and E-TRAC models, Minelab continues to offer the highest performing line and best value of premium coin, treasure, artifact, beach and water metal detectors in the industry.
V-Flex technology is still emerging, and will be around for a long time. Traditional VLF technology is rapidly becomming "old" and obsolete, and the top manufacturers need to be working to build a better mousetrap or risk falling by the wayside. Minelab is leading the way in that pursuit.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was very weary about the safari because everyone said it had slow recovery time but now that ive had one for a lil bit im confused on what everyone is talking about i have no problem whatsoever with it. the recovery time is great i think it has all to do with the user im not out there running with it. i like to swing a lil slower and i have had absolutley no problems at all so take that into consideration for coins and jewerly it works great especially those deep silver ive dug coins 12 inches plus

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longhair how does the 705 compare to the explorer for depth.
Coil size and confiiguration being equal, I'd have to say that they are about the same. The only items that I've recovered with the Explorer that the 705 missed because of depth were found with an 18" loop (bigger than I have for the Xterra).

Being perfectly honest, I'll sell the Explorer before the 705 goes anywhere. And the Explorer will only be replaced with a CTX (or similar if Minelab introduces another FBS2 unit).

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Xterra 705= change the coil, change the frequency, hunt everything!!!! I have the Xterra 70 and my soil is moderate to high mineralization. Just hunting with the stock 9" coil (7.5kHz)and sensitivity set at approximately 50%, I have hit quarters fairly strong at 6". When I have tweaked the sensitivity up a little, I have hit dimes at 6" and the signal was good. With my threshold set properly(sensitivity at 50%) I have hit quarters on a high tone whisper at 8". When I get those type of faint high tones, I simply pinpoint the target then turn the sensitivity up and swing over the target again and the signal cleans up nicely. I am not nearly as experienced with the Xterras as Longhair and Digger(PROfessionals:notworthy:) are but to me these Xterras are so easy to use, lightweight and the only MD in it's price range that has the multi-frequency versatility to hunt relics, coins, jewelry and did I mention, a prospect and beach mode? I love mine and would not part with it. I really believe you would be happy with the 705. Brian (ZR2guy)

Last edited:

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run the Safari as well...I have had no problem with recovery time...Like sonofadigger said above...I'm not running with it..but I do swing at a "normal" speed. I have never had any trouble listening to my tones and then deciding to dig or not....I believe it has quick tone response to the target..and the number display is spot on. This detector does go deep..I've dug coins at 10+ inches. It is also very very easy to learn...

I have close to 100 hrs using this detector.....simply put...I'm not buying another one. There are a lot of excellent detectors out there...Minelabs, Garrett, Whites, Fisher...etc...Watch youtube videos on the ones you may think you like...and watch them in action...that may help as well.

They can all snag silver out of the ground...you have to put the coil over the coin and then decide if you want to dig or not based on the tone that you hear....Once you buy a detector and start finding silver with it...you will love that particular detector and become more comfortable with it...and after many hours and finding more and more coins you will think that detector that you bought is the best...and in my mind...they are all great machines....it all comes down to what you become comfortable with...Good luck..HH

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am having a hard time making my mind up. In the end I want to buy one machine that I can learn and be happy with for years. I want deep depth on silver and the ability to sort through the trash. As my funds are limited, I need to get it right the first time! I have also been looking at the Fisher CZ3D. Right now I am torn between the Whites MXT Pro, X-tera 705 with 3KHZ coil, Safari, and Fisher CZ3D. I have also looked at the Blisstool but it is a little out of my price range and I think it is a little over-hyped.

dbeach8253

Greenie
Apr 4, 2012
Burbank Il
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 / Mindlab safari / CTX 3030 Garrett
Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been running the safari for a while about 300 hours and once you get use to the tones it's all up to you on how fast you'll want to go speed and recovery all comes with time on the machine and thats on any dectector plus you set up to 4 different personal patterns. my dislikes battery life and the depth gauge to me it's 2' off but that could be me

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gonna go with the Safari. Just ordered Andy's book on the Safari so I can start reading. Waiting until tax return time, my wife's bonus, or a winning lottery ticket to order one or get used off Fleebay!

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost forgot.... I hope the minelab koolaid taste good because I am gonna join the club and drink it!

dbeach8253

Greenie
Apr 4, 2012
Burbank Il
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 / Mindlab safari / CTX 3030 Garrett
Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to here remember walk before u run you will be disappoint at first but once you get use to the different tones you will soon be able to pick and choose what you want to dig and what not to if I can help you shoot me a pm Dan

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost forgot.... I hope the minelab koolaid taste good because I am gonna join the club and drink it!

Get yourself some free weights and start bulking up too. Or you can get a harness and be strapped to it so you can swing it more than 15mins.

Good luck & HH

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself some free weights and start bulking up too. Or you can get a harness and be strapped to it so you can swing it more than 15mins.

Good luck & HH

It's not that heavy I can swing it all day just fine your biggest concern should be finding somewhere that has silver this detector won't make it magically appear

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread