My impressions of the CTX 3030 thus far

pulltabpirate

Greenie
Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using an E-trac for about two years and loved that machine. Of course, my ears perked up when I heard about the release of minelabs next phenom in the CTX 3030. My first hunt with it was a short one at two locations I had gone over several times with my E-trac. Of course, the first thing I noticed was the weight and fearing how long I'd be able to swing the thing. Turns out I was able to make it through 3 hours of hunting without having to break due to arm fatigue. More on that later. I got a solid 12-42 and dug it and got a wheat cent. It came through clear and made me wonder how I missed it before. It was deep, like 7-8 inches deep, but the signal was clear and strong. The next target rang 12-43 and again I anticipated a wheat cent and was suprised when I pulled out a silver Rosie. This was a bit disappointing in the sense that I was used to the e-trac singing on silver despite the numbers. It sounded like a wheat penny along with the numbers being in that range. I ended up digging a few more wheats and ended that hunt.

The second hunt was at a ballfield that I'd never hit before. I started off experimenting with combined audio and customized pitches which would now let the silvers sing a little more. I couldn't just go by numbers though as I again had silver coins showing lower than I used to on the e-trac. I decided while adjusting pitches to run silver and wheats across the coil and adjusted the pitches until one was pitched lower than the other even with the same numbers. I also created my own coins discrimation pattern that almost mirroes Sabisch's E-trac pattern I chose to open up to the 28 FE line. Once I got to the ballfield I immediately hit a solid 12-45 at 8 inches. After getting to ten I pulled out an old rusty square nail. Now I'll admit I didn't turn 90 degrees and resweep but I had visions of Barber dimes dancing in my head. This disappointed me as my e-trac might occasionally hit on this target and then I'd open up quickmask, get a 30-46 and move on. What I didn't understand, but do now, is the point of the target trace. With a little help from forum friends I think I got the idea now as evidenced by hunt three. I did dig quite a few nails that day but also got 5 mercs, 26 wheats, a war nickel, buffalo and a .925 ring. I was able to hunt all day without arm fatigue as well, a credit to the CTX balance. I also got the silvers squeaking like I enjoyed with my E-trac.

After coming home and venting about the nails I had some helpful members here help explain what was happening. The next time out (my own yard which I've been over 100 times at least) I paid more attention to what the target trace was telling me. I dug 4 wheat, two skeleton keys and an Indian head that rang up 11-36 at 8 inches and was clear as a bell. I found that target trace will display the FE bounce that is the bane of a detectorist's existence and causes falsing. It is actually mapped out on the screen to see. When I dug those nails (except the one a solid 12-45) they all exhibited this and I still dug despite the hit and miss nature of the signal. The 4 wheats I dug on the 3rd hunt all displayed repeatability and "painted" a section the upper right area while I also heard "mixed in" grunts (with pattern two wide open) showing another painted area in the lower right corner. This simply amazed me as I have become quite the sniper with my E-trac but somehow still mised those coins. When I opened up the plug on all 4 wheats I found the iron first and in one case the iron was a railroad spike.

When I ordered the machine I was expecting to get a beefed up, underwater, E-trac. What I got is a machine all on it's own with some e-trac characteristics. As with starting out with any new machine, it will take time to master this one, but I'm excited about the prospect of learning. I do wish the numbers were higher on silvers but the tone pitch can be set to offset the low numbers. I don't like that my e-trac, aftermarket coils are incompatible as are my Gray Ghost NDTs (i'm selling them all at reasonable prices.) Lastly, I find that good targets, even at depth, ring up numbers that are steady and more "diggable" taking even more guesswork out of what to and not to dig. Anybody else with any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:

dcdigger

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
I just ordered a ctx this morning from Bart! I hope it isn't to complicated to learn, it's my first minelab.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the review!

OP
OP
pulltabpirate

pulltabpirate

Greenie
Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dcdigger said:
I just ordered a ctx this morning from Bart! I hope it isn't to complicated to learn, it's my first minelab.

It may require some patience, especially if you've not had a Minelab before. I'll be honest though, turn it on, set it to coins mode, run a noise cancel and start detecting and you'll find quite a bit. You can always tweak as u learn. HH and good luck!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very welcome! Holler if you have questions! I will get you going! I have a simple setup!

Great review! It is one awesome machine! Thanks!

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree.
I have been saying from the beginning that the numbers are to close together on coin targets.
Many times I think I am going to dig a Penny and pull out a dime or quarter.
I would love for Silver to jump far right corner like on my old explorer.

OP
OP
pulltabpirate

pulltabpirate

Greenie
Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GreenMeanie said:
I have to agree.
I have been saying from the beginning that the numbers are to close together on coin targets.
Many times I think I am going to dig a Penny and pull out a dime or quarter.
I would love for Silver to jump far right corner like on my old explorer.

It bothers me some greenmeanie, but i've always been more of a tone hunter anyway so a few simple adjustments in pitch on the combined audio (using coins, not numbers) i was able to seperate silver from clad and pennies to some degree. It helped in the above mentioned ballfield.

dcdigger

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Got my CTX in today I ordered from Bart and already finding stuff I've missed with my AT PRO. It's gonna take a lot of time to learn this machine though so any assistants is appreciated!

WildDigger

Sep 22, 2012
Winder Ga
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 & At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dcdigger said:
Got my CTX in today I ordered from Bart and already finding stuff I've missed with my AT PRO. It's gonna take a lot of time to learn this machine though so any assistants is appreciated!

Sounds like me. Lol. I got mine from Bart today as well. Came from using a At Pro. Found 3 wheats from a area I have hit very hard.

OP
OP
pulltabpirate

pulltabpirate

Greenie
Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WildDigger said:
Sounds like me. Lol. I got mine from Bart today as well. Came from using a At Pro. Found 3 wheats from a area I have hit very hard.

I was amazed by what I missed with the E-trac. You can clearly see the reset time on this machine is flying as opposed to other machines i've used and it "locks on" to targets at depth like i've never seen before....can't wait to get into the water with it!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since a friend let me borrow her 3030 I have been holding off on ordering one myself due to health. But maybe this year I'll break down and order it anyway. Sorta like collecting guns, you can never have to few....

dcdigger

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Well I got out yesterday and hunted a couple spots I had checked really good with my AT PRO and V3i. Needless to say the CTX pulled two wheats and a silver out of these areas, and this was my first time using it and I don't know nothing about it. I think I'm gonna love this machine thanks Bart for hooking me up with a great deal and fast shipping!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I got out yesterday and hunted a couple spots I had checked really good with my AT PRO and V3i. Needless to say the CTX pulled two wheats and a silver out of these areas, and this was my first time using it and I don't know nothing about it. I think I'm gonna love this machine thanks Bart for hooking me up with a great deal and fast shipping!

Very welcome! The CTX makes any "hunted out" spot come alive again. Other machines just can't compete with the FBS 2 and 28 frequencies. This machine is a true BEAST!

Anyone always holler with questions! Love to help you!

mswarbrick

Greenie
Jan 5, 2010
Can you please describe in detail how you set up the sounds on the ctx 3030 to be able to hear the difference between clad and silver?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you please describe in detail how you set up the sounds on the ctx 3030 to be able to hear the difference between clad and silver?

There is no way to tell by sound. You an get a good idea usualy by depth indication. Wheaties can also sound REALLY REALLY good sometimes!

mswarbrick

Greenie
Jan 5, 2010
I decided while adjusting pitches to run silver and wheats across the coil and adjusted the pitches until one was pitched lower than the other even with the same numbers.

Can you describe in detail exactly how to do this on the CTX? Did this allow you to tell the difference between clad and silver by sound?

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you describe in detail exactly how to do this on the CTX? Did this allow you to tell the difference between clad and silver by sound?

I doubt both that the first statement is accurate or that clad and silver can be consistently distinguished by sound alone.

If silver and wheats both had exactly the same CO/FE numbers I don't know how two different tones could be applied. How would the CTX know them apart to assign a different tone to each? IMO this would be truly an amazing ability for the CTX to have.

mswarbrick

Greenie
Jan 5, 2010
I doubt both that the first statement is accurate or that clad and silver can be consistently distinguished by sound alone.

If silver and wheats both had exactly the same CO/FE numbers I don't know how two different tones could be applied. How would the CTX know them apart to assign a different tone to each? IMO this would be truly an amazing ability for the CTX to have.

Thanks for the reply. I doubt that first statement too. Today I did some air testing. When set in low trash or high trash, my CTX reads Rosies and Mercs at 12-45 and clad dimes and pennies at 12-44. I did have one Merc that was an exception and read at 12-44. I don't know why two Mercs in similar condition would read different. Gound/Coin or Ferrous/Coin would drop all the co numbers by 1.

I listened for difference in sound between clad and silver and their is no difference in the sound whatsover.

From what I have seen so far - any shallow coin reading 12-44 has come up clad. I"m so sick of digging clad I'm thinking of just not digging anything that doesn't at least hit 12-45.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread