Sovereign GT question

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
I just received my GT from Bart (he's great to deal with btw) in the owners manual under quick start in disc mode it doesn't address ground balancing and on the next page under quick start in all metal mode they do address ground balancing, do I not need to GB in disc mode?
Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some times these manuals can be confusing. But you only GB in all metal and when you switch to Disc. the GB is still set. You have one of the best detectors made. :icon_thumright:

Save some stuff in the ground for me and go at it.

HH,
Sandman:hello:

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the Kudos! Anytime I can make forums mebers great deals I will!

Sandman came in and saved the day yet again with the correct answer. Thanks Sandman!

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman please correct me if i am wrong-OK

I am new to the GT also but if i understand the manual correctly you do not need to GB if you are running in disc only.
On page 16 under 7.5 Disc/All Metal Switch it states that (all metal mode should be used in conjunction with Fixed & Tracking GB)

I still GB some of the time and switch to fixed and disc. in case i want to run in all metal for some reason.
Some of the places i hunt are so trashy that ground ballincing is next to impossible. That is one of the reasons i bought the Sovereign.

Once again if i am doing things wrong please let me know.
Thanks
j piddle

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman is correct, you do not GB in disc mode, only in all metal....

Set it to Disc, skip the ground ballance and go........ I have been using an Sov GT for 5 years now, fantastic detector, I run it in disc mode and will ocassionally switch to all metal, I dont even worry about GB, but I am hunting the beaches not inland.... If I was going to hunt full time in AM, I would GB it........

Sandman, it is great to see you posting and hope your feeling well now....

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman is correct, you do not GB in disc mode, only in all metal....

Set it to Disc, skip the ground ballance and go........ I have been using an Sov GT for 5 years now, fantastic detector, I run it in disc mode and will ocassionally switch to all metal, I dont even worry about GB, but I am hunting the beaches not inland.... If I was going to hunt full time in AM, I would GB it........

Sandman, it is great to see you posting and hope your feeling well now....

I guess that i was just trying to help Jangles understand that he does not need to GB to run in disc. mode.
When i read sandmans reply it led me to beleive that i should be GBing and then switch to disc.
Sorry for the confusion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread