mikey15658

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2012
honolulu hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites dual field, vx3 , xlt , fisher f5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed that my cable sheathing is cracking( due to age and weather )on the cable that runs from the coil to the control unit. I've inspected my headphone cable and found no cracks, but due to it's oxidized appearance, I believe it may develop cracks in the near future. I emailed Minelab to see how much the repair would be and they said about $500.00. This price shocked me, but they said they have to replace the coil and the headphones when the change the cable. There is nothing wrong with the coil or the headphones, I still use the detector in the dry sand. Has anyone had a similar problem with their cable? Could I possible use the cable from my sovereign to swap out with the excalibur? I was wondering if anyone removed the cable from the coil? Is it hard wired? For $500.00 I might as well buy a new sand shark

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I have noticed that my cable sheathing is cracking( due to age and weather )on the cable that runs from the coil to the control unit. I've inspected my headphone cable and found no cracks, but due to it's oxidized appearance, I believe it may develop cracks in the near future. I emailed Minelab to see how much the repair would be and they said about $500.00. This price shocked me, but they said they have to replace the coil and the headphones when the change the cable. There is nothing wrong with the coil or the headphones, I still use the detector in the dry sand. Has anyone had a similar problem with their cable? Could I possible use the cable from my sovereign to swap out with the excalibur? I was wondering if anyone removed the cable from the coil? Is it hard wired? For $500.00 I might as well buy a new sand shark

You can use Sovereign coil, but if your coil cable sheathing is cracked only in some places dont worry,use some sort windshield rubber which not hardens or something similar to prevent water get inside with tape on the top. on my some lend coil its worked Ok. To change coil cable in coil is problematic but possible, but better use another sovereign coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest plasti-dip in spray can, it is same stuff you use to coat your tools except get the spray can version. I used it on my coil and headphone splice mods and has held up very well.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest plasti-dip in spray can, it is same stuff you use to coat your tools except get the spray can version. I used it on my coil and headphone splice mods and has held up very well.

I have seen this done with good success.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Could I possible use the cable from my sovereign to swap out with the excalibur? I was wondering if anyone removed the cable from the coil? Is it hard wired? For $500.00 I might as well buy a new sand shark
Hardwired......Can be done but a tuff fix. Need the link for the wire let me know, I also do coils but it would still cost a good amount to replace with a new coil...in the range of 300................but she would be good to go into the water...I pressure test all also...
addon.jpg OBN0004 (2).jpg OBN0013.jpg

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Replacing the coil..Not real hard, just take your time and one does need soldering skills..

BillC.

Jan 29, 2013
mikey15658 said:

I have the same problem as we speak. Called Minelab and they said problem was due to the unit being in salt water. My detector has 'NEVER' been in salt water--only fresh water lakes in NY state. I have Googled this problem & found many others who are experiencing the same thing on their detectors as well. This is clearly a manufacturer's defect, & Minelab should step up to the plate and take responsibility for this as I have owned many detectors in the past (much cheaper in price, I might add) and have never experienced anything like it--'ever'! --BillC.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the same problem as we speak. Called Minelab and they said problem was due to the unit being in salt water. My detector has 'NEVER' been in salt water--only fresh water lakes in NY state. I have Googled this problem & found many others who are experiencing the same thing on their detectors as well. This is clearly a manufacturer's defect, & Minelab should step up to the plate and take responsibility for this as I have owned many detectors in the past (much cheaper in price, I might add) and have never experienced anything like it--'ever'! --BillC.

Have replaced several over the last year...seems the headphones coiled cable, coil cable and the battery cable of the excalibur have issues.
Now there is a new problem. Minelabs has disco the Sovereign GT, Many used the sov coils to repair Excalibur. Once the extra suppy of sovereign coils is depleted at the dealers, and warehouses. Unless you can repair the coil itself, one will have to deal with paying the high cost of Minelabs repair...$300.oo to replace with a new coil, and heaven help you if you need anything else.

OP
OP
M

mikey15658

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2012
honolulu hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites dual field, vx3 , xlt , fisher f5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky for me I have a whites surf pi which has been trouble free. I will retire the Excalibur to dry sand. I still need a back up detector, maybe a sand shark with a life time warranty

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On my older units i use 5/16 heat shrink tubing after the repair, from the coil to control head all one piece.My new excal don't have that problem yet. Good luck

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased an Excal ll 1000, i expect mine to last for years and years for the amount it costed me. After reading these posts about cracking cables I'm thinking maybe it'd be a good idea to oil or maybe amour all them from time to time. Is there a product made for such that wouldn't eat away from the sheathing?

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mcnett makes some good silicone spray and grease,try your local dive shop.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious as to how common of a problem the cracking is? Is it recently purchased machines that it is happening to? The whole issue makes me want to either cancel my Excal. II order or if it's too late for that, send it back as soon as I get it. The "salt water" reason is no excuse because the machines are meant to be used in salt water! I hope it's just a matter of the salt not being rinsed off after use?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread