More ETrac Questions

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, so unfortunately the only great place to hunt in my area right now is a recently razed house lot in the heart of a town that goes back to the very early 1800's. TONS of nails a bits and bobbles. I've pulled up bits of tin, and some steel wire but mostly very very rusty iron. the kind that looks like its growing more iron.

on the upside, the soil is VERY loose, i can dig down probably 3-4 inches without thinking about using my little shovel or miners pick.

on the downside, I have hunted this site for about 15 hours now, and only have a bucket of trash to show for it.

now on to the ETrac -

I have started by blocking out everything not 1-12/32-48

but when i get a high pitch tone in a short beep, I look down and nothing is on the screen. I can pinpoint but that tells me that WOOOHOOO there's tons of metal under you dude!

should i just blanket dig everything with the right sound and disregard the screen?

I also havn't got many repeatable signals, the one really good 1-48 I got was a rusted gaff hook 5 inches down. and of course somewhere in there i found an aluminum pot handle.

andys book is on order, just wondered if anyone had any insight into detecting in general with this detector, or any methods for digging this site that doesn't include screening the entire backyard.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No disrespect at all but first go learn your machine in a NON trashy area. Your trying to drive a Corvette with a learners permit. Those type places are THE hardest places to hunt for anyone.

When your in a null slow way way way down. I mean creep. Try opening the screen up more as to much discrimination will mask good ones.

Get yourseld a Sun Ray X-5 sniper coil for those terrible trashy areas. That will greatly increase your success.

OP
OP
tlowery04

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah thanks bart, i guess i knew the answer before i posted, the only other place i have access to close by right now is the beach, and after two 8 hour days of hunting i have two coins, a handfull of aluminum can parts, and a brass watch body. seems pretty barren but people drop stuff all the time :thumbsup:

i'm getting used to the detector but like a few other people i've noticed with problems i've come from a white's detector. Don't know if that counts for anything or not but its just an observation, I have been working really hard to go super slow too. no whites one second sweeps with this machine!

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live on a place like the site you described. It's incredible the amount of metallic trash under the ground. A sweep at "normal" speed makes my E-Trac sound like R2D2 on amphetamines. Minelab recommends a 4 second sweep, left to right to left. That's WAY too fast for trashy areas. Like Bart said, slow to a creep. Also, if you are using the DD coil take advantage of the fact that the actual sensing area is only 1" wide. When you get a solid signal go back across it and sort of hover while wiggling the coil slightly. Each pass allows the machine to refine the data. Step around 90 degrees and repeat the process. I find that this allows me to separate out a lot of the trash.

Good Luck!
Storm

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No disrespect at all but first go learn your machine in a NON trashy area. Your trying to drive a Corvette with a learners permit. Those type places are THE hardest places to hunt for anyone.

When your in a null slow way way way down. I mean creep. Try opening the screen up more as to much discrimination will mask good ones.

Get yourseld a Sun Ray X-5 sniper coil for those terrible trashy areas. That will greatly increase your success.
Agreed! I've been hunting for over 42 years now and torn down houses are the worst. When I hunt them, I first rake a 10 X 10 area, then run a magnet over it to get the surface nails and other ferrous junk, then use the smallest coil I have to get target separation. If there are any good targets, I then expand the search area. If there is nothing good in the area I've "cleaned" I either move to another likely area and start over or give up and find greener pastures.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't consider the E-Trac to be the right "tool" for your job. There are detectors that have better iron handling capabilities and target separation out there (such as Deep Tech's Vista Gold for instance).

If you are going to use an E-Trac, then you'll likely have to remove all the top-layer trash and iron to reveal anything worthwhile underneath. Like eating an elephant, it's not something you can accomplish in even several outings. It might takes years of return visits to finally get to the deeper valuable targets. Worthwhile, but not something everyone is prepared to work that hard for.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now on to the ETrac -

I have started by blocking out everything not 1-12/32-48

You are discriminating anything over 12 Ferrous? Wow you are missing ALOT of good targets.

barberman

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to add a question to the trashy area problem. Today I hunted a yard with tons of aluminum and nails. Moving from detect - quick mask and back to detect my id numbers don't show for a while, seems like there is a 15-20 second lag before they start showing on the screen. Am I missing something? (new user)

OP
OP
tlowery04

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for reminding me about this post, I still don't get how you get multiple targets on screen, I've dug areas where there is iron all around on this site, and only had one signal that jumps all over the place. (found a brass key intermixed on a 12-48)

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you are into a Huge amount of trash! Just stop swinging the coil for second. Just rest it on the ground for a second and then go back at it. The detector needs to reset itself in between switching back and forth. I will say my first Etrac did this but my second one does not.

I'd like to add a question to the trashy area problem. Today I hunted a yard with tons of aluminum and nails. Moving from detect - quick mask and back to detect my id numbers don't show for a while, seems like there is a 15-20 second lag before they start showing on the screen. Am I missing something? (new user)

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will NEVER get multiple targets on the Etrac screen. Where did you read that? Only the CTX can do that.

Thanks for reminding me about this post, I still don't get how you get multiple targets on screen, I've dug areas where there is iron all around on this site, and only had one signal that jumps all over the place. (found a brass key intermixed on a 12-48)

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, whites xlt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been hunting with my etrac for a couple of weeks now. I went to a park that ive been hunting for 2 years with another detector. I only have been going to this park because i know its not trashy for i dug all that out earlier! i have now 50 hrs on the etrac just at this small park and i am now very comfortable with it. Will do another 50 before i leave that park. I swing very slow and dig all repeatable targets so i get familiar with the sounds and what comes out of the ground. Already pulled 2 silvers and a confederate georgia large coat button from this place thats hunted out. Amazing machine! The button i found in a trashy section of the park. seperates beautifully. You need to find a place less trashy (even if its the beach) and dig repeatable signals for starters.

OP
OP
tlowery04

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will NEVER get multiple targets on the Etrac screen. Where did you read that? Only the CTX can do that.

ehhh... im pretty sure the minelab salesman told me that... if not it was a mislabeled youtube video

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swing very slow as well. I have about 9 hours field experience with the Etrac so far . I have seen more like a couple seconds lag, never 15-20(I think maybe it seems that long if you are not used to the way the Etrac works). I try to have 5 to 6 seconds on each swing. I have started swinging to quickly at times because that is a VERY slow swing, I have actually missed coins with swinging too fast(and the numbers jump and change and disappear more quickly). After I have gone back and swung slower I found them. I really haven't used Quickmask yet:keep forgetting.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OR use a smaller coil. I started with the stock PRO the first day. I expected some frustration and my expectations were fulfilled! When I switched to the SEF 6x8 it got much easier with the separation of targets and I started finding good coins and targets.
I live on a place like the site you described. It's incredible the amount of metallic trash under the ground. A sweep at "normal" speed makes my E-Trac sound like R2D2 on amphetamines. Minelab recommends a 4 second sweep, left to right to left. That's WAY too fast for trashy areas. Like Bart said, slow to a creep. Also, if you are using the DD coil take advantage of the fact that the actual sensing area is only 1" wide. When you get a solid signal go back across it and sort of hover while wiggling the coil slightly. Each pass allows the machine to refine the data. Step around 90 degrees and repeat the process. I find that this allows me to separate out a lot of the trash.

Good Luck!
Storm

Rolladex

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a small coil and hunt in Two Tone Ferrous

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread