Minelab Excalibur II ( headphone problem )

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Get yourself a 2 pin connector from radio shack..hook to a small speaker. Then pull the endcap off and check....
OBN0001.jpg When reinstall, use divers silicon grease on the endcap o ring

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a guess, they have a leak in the cable, the saltwater damages the copper wiring, causing the audio to degrade, most of the time it comes on alittle slower then just like that...should have them checked out if the test shows them to be faulty, water can wick it's way down the coiled wire into the pod...sometimes.

OP
OP
Magiver

Magiver

Greenie
Oct 18, 2010
Thanks for your reply I can't wait to check it out. Also I love your videos thank you they're always very informative.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You, And keep us informed...I have a excal coming today, same problem...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Magiver

Magiver

Greenie
Oct 18, 2010
That seems to be the problem, after checking it I cut open a section about 6" long just outside of the pod and you could see signs of corrosion on the copper wire. Where us the best place to purchase a new wire, pod cap, and the resistor and other piece in the old pod cap. Is that a noise suppressor / filter? Is it needed? Thanks again for the advice I was just reluctant to start probing around in a $1000 detector.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
what kind of hunting do you do magiver? pp..discrimate? Deep, shallow, diving..I maybe able to help you...

Same problem on this one

OP
OP
Magiver

Magiver

Greenie
Oct 18, 2010
I just generally am in the surf but plan just some light snorkel or snuba dives, maybe 10-15'. I saw on the video you referred to "skullies pp kit" is that a kit that's avaliable? on my excalibur II do I need to replace the resistors and stuff that are in the old cap?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The kits should be ready come the first of March, Just going to do a few (10+) Just want to make sure they can holdup to continues saltwater usage, diving and all. The kit is simple, just unplug the old setup..like in my video, then reverse the procedure with the new Skullies....there is no hi/low filters like on the stock...which allows better audio for PP huntiing....I'm also testing (3) UW speakers for the hunter that hunts in discriminate .... I'm not sure on the depth yet.

Here they are along with the koss yellows stock

(1) Audiosears.2463.same used on the Sunray Pro golds, Blackwidows, Killer Bees

(2) Kobitone 25CE500 (Used on RatPhones)

[video=youtube;KptTjU_CUCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=KptTjU_CUCQ[/video]

(7) Stock Yellows

(4) SKULLIES Piezo tube

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
THe piezo tubes have very poor audio for the discriminate hunter, but allow a lower audio in the PP mode for the faints that cannot be heard with the normal set...giving you a inch or more depth....really the signals are there, you just can't hear them with other head phones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread