pinpointing

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There isn't a "Spot" to look for. Most people either wiggle the coil while pulling it back toward you and then dig just off the end of the coil where the signal went away or us the PP which is all metal and "X" the target. Most times I "X" the target unless the trash around the target is so bad that I can't use PP all metal then I will stay in discriminate and just wiggle while pulling back. I you watch some Youtube videos you will get a very good idea which one you want to use.

OP
OP
dholland02

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks jeff thats kinda what I have been doing. I thought id see what other ideas on it was. Just need the weather here jn PA to decide what it wants to do.lol

thewatchers

Jan 31, 2010
Couch, M0
Detector(s) used
SharpShooter2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best way I learned to do mine was place a quarter on the ground and watch where it is on your coil that the detector beeps or quits beeping, depending on which mode your in. After awhile it just kinda becomes second nature. But I do recommend getting yourself a handheld pinpointer if you ever got the extra cash. Makes a world of a difference sometimes.

OP
OP
dholland02

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way I learned to do mine was place a quarter on the ground and watch where it is on your coil that the detector beeps or quits beeping, depending on which mode your in. After awhile it just kinda becomes second nature. But I do recommend getting yourself a handheld pinpointer if you ever got the extra cash. Makes a world of a difference sometimes.

I got a BH pro pointer and a sun ray probe. I never gave it a thought about just laying coin on the ground and pin pointing it .
Thanks great idea.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
I just wiggle the coil and walk backwards and use the notch on the dd coil to locate the target. Trashy areas can be more difficult to pinpoint but if you concentrate on the sounds, you can work through it. Sometimes I X the target or do the minelab wiggle from a different angle.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A combination of both methods is a good way to learn. What I mean is, knowing that the Minelab wiggle is effective, when you find a target in a real hunt scenario do the minelab wiggle, then mark the spot and pinpoint it with PP mode, this will help you learn the pinpoint in a true setting instead of staged..which while staged works great, nothing beats the real deal...try it for awhile and learn the averages and you'll have it down to a science.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab wiggle is by far the best/fastest and will teach you to pinpoint with any DD coil on any machine.

Tape some targets on a piece of cardboard, flip them over and scatter them out on so cleaner ground. Best way to practice and get good quick.

OP
OP
dholland02

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guy I appreciate it