DOES ANYONE USE TTF ON THE E-TRAC

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear this a lot about TTF but doesn't the non-ferrous junk sound off/chatter constantly
its all I ever use now I love TTF i've been able to find so much more in areas i've already been

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear this a lot about TTF but doesn't the non-ferrous junk sound off/chatter constantly

It depends on the location and how much stuff is in the ground I wouldn't recommend it at a junky park but old houses and stuff it can't be beat

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the SEF 6x8 best coil I've used.
Sooper Dave

What small coil do you use on your etrac? I am in the process of picking a small coil. Hunt in the exact same conditions you do. Am leaning towards the sef 8x6 butterfly coil but am still doing some research. Another possibility is the sunray x-5 but it is $50.00 more and I hunt very large areas so a little more coverage offered by the 8x6 would be beneficial.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the separation. I have yet to find anything good with the stock Pro coil and all the good stuff has been with this smaller coil. Might just be my imagination but it seems to be easy to pinpoint with like a concentric and doesn't seem to mask much. Might just be me but it seems darn good!

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the separation. I have yet to find anything good with the stock Pro coil and all the good stuff has been with this smaller coil. Might just be my imagination but it seems to be easy to pinpoint with like a concentric and doesn't seem to mask much. Might just be me but it seems darn good!

I see.... I always run in TTF exclusively anymore so I'm hearing everything anyways

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to use TTF but found it, for me, to be inferior to 4TF. Since deeper coins will average down in Fe-number they become a Low Tone in TTF. That is, for 18-35Fe the audio tone is low. So, nails produce the same low tone. To avoid this, the TTF needs to have DISC from say 30-35Fe to shut the junk iron out. Then TTF has High tone (1-16Fe) for non-ferrous and low tone for some nails and deeper coin. This works but requires too much DISC use - which decreases sensitivity.

So, I now use 4TF which produces a Low Tone for 31-35Fe - which is the junk iron area and can be ignored. I DISC only 29-30Fe to silence ferrous that would otherwise produce Med-Low Tone. With that DISC added, Med-Low tone is just deeper coins (for the most part). The Med-High Tone (8-17Fe) is great for the usual non-ferrous and coins. And finally the High Tone stands out for silver (and gold) high conductors (1-7Fe).

The difference is that 4TF uses less DISC, differentiates via audio better (the type of target), so looking at the TID is not so important. It runs very quiet, the low tone is easily ignored and the higher tones now provide intelligent audio (meaning). Basically if the E-Trac makes a higher tone sound - it is something you need to investigate, otherwise it is quiet or grunting. I have no use for TTC, or any other mode for my type of hunting.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here I started with FTF for more detail in the audio (actually used it for only the 2nd time today). Found an Indian Head cent between to big rusty nails: only null in conductive with no trace of the coin in the audio.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

icanfindem

Jul 2, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Quattro, Liberty Headphones, Garrett Pinpointer, Minelab ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to put in my 2 cents worth, I use the TTF exclusively. I have yet to find anything that will match it for finding good targets in the same hole as ferrous. You DO need to give it sometime to get used to using it, but once you get the hang of it you will be satisfied. Goes4ever has a good website with lots of helpful ideas. Use the settings he recommends and start hitting some areas that you thought you thought you had hunted out. Good luck.

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been using the 4TF myself with varying DISC patterns. I have tried the multi conductive and I am so confused by it. I keep saying it sounds like Bubo the Owl from Clash of the Titans lol I know more time will help that but 4TF just seems so much easier for me. I additionally just TTF in my yard as it is caked with layers of nails. My main problem tho is some of those nails will give me a high repeatable chirp next to a low grunt. It's usually the old square ones. I had quite the collection of them the other day.. the plus side is I am aerating the yard =P

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like using conductive because I don't want to dig ALL non-ferrous stuff...on the other hand almost all the old yards I have been hunting have obviously been hunted before AND on top of that there are areas that are just loaded with iron...hard to choose what to use sometimes...the Etrac does sound like that owl ha ha.
Been using the 4TF myself with varying DISC patterns. I have tried the multi conductive and I am so confused by it. I keep saying it sounds like Bubo the Owl from Clash of the Titans lol I know more time will help that but 4TF just seems so much easier for me. I additionally just TTF in my yard as it is caked with layers of nails. My main problem tho is some of those nails will give me a high repeatable chirp next to a low grunt. It's usually the old square ones. I had quite the collection of them the other day.. the plus side is I am aerating the yard =P

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compare the 4TF pattern at left with the TTF on the right to see why I find 4TF superior.

1. 4TF allows the minimum use of DISC, which improves sensitivity.
2. TTF requires the DISC to separate true iron junk from possible deeper coins, 4TF does not
3. TTF has a single audio tone (high) for foil-quarters, silver & gold and tone (low) for deep coins-unwanted iron.
4. 4TF has more informative: High tone for silver and gold, Med-High for foil-quarters, Med-Low for deep coins, and Low tone for unwanted iron.

.........................4TF ...................................................................... TTF
Four-Tone Ferrous Setup.JPG ....... Two-Tone Ferrous Setup.JPG

It's not that TTF is horrible, it works well too, just isn't quite as audio intelligent as 4TF.

With 4TF you'll know if the target is high conduct silver right away with that high tone alert. You'll know you have something non-ferrous
with the Med-High tone, just glance at the SmartFind screen to verify TID. Very simple. If the tone is Med-High and repeatable it probably
needs digging, since too many good targets fall in this area along with non-ferrous junk and there is no good way to separate them without digging
(or lose rings and jewelry). You'll have to dig the trash to find those weakly conductive rings and jewelry (they're from foil to nickel if they
are thin/med yellow gold or white gold. You have no way to tell the non-ferrous signal from non-ferrous trash without digging it up -sadly)
With 4TF a med-Low tone is likely a deep coin, it could be a nail, but the tone lets you know to slow down and investigate.
Low tone means junk - pass it by. 4TF has become the only thing I use for hunting. Plus it runs very quiet which is relaxing and with such
little DISC being used I've got the near maximum detection depth. I don't need to switch to the QuickMask screen often since I'm not nulling
out much of anything - you hear most all the audio, but it makes logical sense, so it isn't disturbing (like other modes).

TTC provides some useful information but only if you are that selective hunter (cherry-picker). That is, TTC gives a don't-dig tone (Low) for
many non-ferrous targets that you want (rings, jewelry, nickels) and tone (high) for everything else, including nails. If you want those rings TTC is
not for you. If you only want quarters and silver, for instance, then TTC would work. I don't hunt that way, but some people do,
which is fine. But TTC requires more DISC to silence high tone nails and other iron junk, which is a disadvantage.

I do consider 4TC to be near useless. 4TC is a train wreck providing four tones that don't equate to anything target intelligent.
Of course you can use whatever you like, but this is my opinion when it comes to patterns and modes. I used to use TTF all the time, but after
rationally examining the tones, it became apparent there was was something better which gives improved results for me.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot to read here (which I like) I may have to print this out. I have just started using these modes (TTF/FTF) and haven't had a load of epiphanies yet on all the benefits over conductive other than ferrous in close proximity to non-ferrous items. This should be interesting thanks!

Compare the 4TF pattern at left with the TTF on the right to see why I find 4TF superior.

1. 4TF allows the minimum use of DISC, which improves sensitivity.
2. TTF requires the DISC to separate true iron junk from possible deeper coins, 4TF does not
3. TTF has a single audio tone (high) for foil-quarters, silver & gold and tone (low) for deep coins-unwanted iron.
4. 4TF has more informative: High tone for silver and gold, Med-High for foil-quarters, Med-Low for deep coins, and Low tone for unwanted iron.

.........................4TF ...................................................................... TTF
View attachment 779823 ....... View attachment 779825

It's not that TTF is horrible, it works well too, just isn't quite as audio intelligent as 4TF.

With 4TF you'll know if the target is high conduct silver right away with that high tone alert. You'll know you have something non-ferrous
with the Med-High tone, just glance at the SmartFind screen to verify TID. Very simple. If the tone is Med-High and repeatable it probably
needs digging, since too many good targets fall in this area along with non-ferrous junk and there is no good way to separate them without digging
(or lose rings and jewelry). You'll have to dig the trash to find those weakly conductive rings and jewelry (they're from foil to nickel if they
are thin/med yellow gold or white gold. You have no way to tell the non-ferrous signal from non-ferrous trash without digging it up -sadly)
With 4TF a med-Low tone is likely a deep coin, it could be a nail, but the tone lets you know to slow down and investigate.
Low tone means junk - pass it by. 4TF has become the only thing I use for hunting. Plus it runs very quiet which is relaxing and with such
little DISC being used I've got the near maximum detection depth. I don't need to switch to the QuickMask screen often since I'm not nulling
out much of anything - you hear most all the audio, but it makes logical sense, so it isn't disturbing (like other modes).

TTC provides some useful information but only if you are that selective hunter (cherry-picker). That is, TTC gives a don't-dig tone (Low) for
many non-ferrous targets that you want (rings, jewelry, nickels) and tone (high) for everything else, including nails. If you want those rings TTC is
not for you. If you only want quarters and silver, for instance, then TTC would work. I don't hunt that way, but some people do,
which is fine. But TTC requires more DISC to silence high tone nails and other iron junk, which is a disadvantage.

I do consider 4TC to be near useless. 4TC is a train wreck providing four tones that don't equate to anything target intelligent.
Of course you can use whatever you like, but this is my opinion when it comes to patterns and modes. I used to use TTF all the time, but after
rationally examining the tones, it became apparent there was was something better which gives improved results for me.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a 4tf program I can download and check out for myself

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Current pattern

Interesting postings here. I have been using the four tone audio for a while here and am liking it very much. Here is the pattern I am using currently. I am wondering if the lower Fe numbers on the right side should be opened up some?

Attachments

• 4_18_2013 current disc pattern.JPG
    4_18_2013 current disc pattern.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 424

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting postings here. I have been using the four tone audio for a while here and am liking it very much. Here is the pattern I am using currently. I am wondering if the lower Fe numbers on the right side should be opened up some?

OMG YES! You missing out on old coins! I would open it up all the way across on the FE 25 line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread