DOES ANYONE USE TTF ON THE E-TRAC

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody?

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use TTF more than multi-conductive mode now. The advantage is you can hear everything in the ground. When you have a discrimination pattern to knock out iron and other targets you don't want to dig, it also knocks out the good stuff beside it. The Etrac "nulls" the threshold and goes silent when you go over a discriminated target. This effect can mask a good target next to it. The TTF pattern allows you to hunt in an "all metal mode" with two tones, a low tone for iron and a high tone for non-ferrous targets, coins, tokens, silver, gold etc.. The Etrac reacts very fast to both signals even when the two are touching. I have found many old coins in the same hole as multiple nails and other iron junk, I have got silver coins with huge rust stains from nails laying on top of them in the ground, and the Etrac in TTF sniffed out the dime signal. I mainly look around old farmhouse sites that are full of iron, and TTF allows me to slowly pick out the good stuff. This mode is best used with a smaller coil for the best target separation and you need to go SLOW, SLOW, SLOW for the best results. This way of hunting takes some time to get used to. The amount of signals on a very trashy site can give you a major headache. I sometimes go between TTF and Multi-conductive modes to give me a break on a long hunt. If you are new to the Etarc, I would get familiar with all the sounds in multi-conductive mode first and then start to try TTF a little at a time. I hope this helps, I will post some pictures of some coins found with iron when I started using TTF just a few months ago. HH David
53 Rosie 12-5-12 (3).JPG TTF.jpg

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use it all the time.. mainly for areas with heavy amounts of iron..

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice.
I use TTF more than multi-conductive mode now. The advantage is you can hear everything in the ground. When you have a discrimination pattern to knock out iron and other targets you don't want to dig, it also knocks out the good stuff beside it. The Etrac "nulls" the threshold and goes silent when you go over a discriminated target. This effect can mask a good target next to it. The TTF pattern allows you to hunt in an "all metal mode" with two tones, a low tone for iron and a high tone for non-ferrous targets, coins, tokens, silver, gold etc.. The Etrac reacts very fast to both signals even when the two are touching. I have found many old coins in the same hole as multiple nails and other iron junk, I have got silver coins with huge rust stains from nails laying on top of them in the ground, and the Etrac in TTF sniffed out the dime signal. I mainly look around old farmhouse sites that are full of iron, and TTF allows me to slowly pick out the good stuff. This mode is best used with a smaller coil for the best target separation and you need to go SLOW, SLOW, SLOW for the best results. This way of hunting takes some time to get used to. The amount of signals on a very trashy site can give you a major headache. I sometimes go between TTF and Multi-conductive modes to give me a break on a long hunt. If you are new to the Etarc, I would get familiar with all the sounds in multi-conductive mode first and then start to try TTF a little at a time. I hope this helps, I will post some pictures of some coins found with iron when I started using TTF just a few months ago. HH David
View attachment 734963 View attachment 734965

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone seems like its a good program to use im gonna try it as soon as the snow goes away

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have known about TTF for a long time, but I have never made myself use it. I am finally going to hit my "field of dreams" where I pulled the Morgan with TTF. That place has a lot of spots which are loaded with iron.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have known about TTF for a long time, but I have never made myself use it. I am finally going to hit my "field of dreams" where I pulled the Morgan with TTF. That place has a lot of spots which are loaded with iron.

Good luck I have a spot where I think TTF would be great only problem is I'm gonna be hunting in 5 inches of snow

north1

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2009
Sooper Dave

What small coil do you use on your etrac? I am in the process of picking a small coil. Hunt in the exact same conditions you do. Am leaning towards the sef 8x6 butterfly coil but am still doing some research. Another possibility is the sunray x-5 but it is $50.00 more and I hunt very large areas so a little more coverage offered by the 8x6 would be beneficial.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the 8X6 SEF and the X-5 coils. The SEF is more of a mid-sized coil but still gets in between the trash. But the X-5 allows you to get closer to structures, like the foundation of an old home that is littered with nails and sniff out the keepers. You can also get closer to metal fences and post with the X-5. There are a lot of great coils for the Etrac that make it an even better machine for many conditions.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome pic Sooper Dave. The X-5 is an outstanding coil!

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Side by side the X-5 doesn't look all that smaller than the SEF coil, I would think the SEF might give you a bit more depth and still a small size with good separation.
I have both the 8X6 SEF and the X-5 coils. The SEF is more of a mid-sized coil but still gets in between the trash. But the X-5 allows you to get closer to structures, like the foundation of an old home that is littered with nails and sniff out the keepers. You can also get closer to metal fences and post with the X-5. There are a lot of great coils for the Etrac that make it an even better machine for many conditions.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no trouble hitting dimes at 6 - 7 inches with the X5.

rustyman9791

Sep 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Minelab profind.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a truly great thread. Good advise in here. :hello:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just used the TTF mode today. I will say that it sure is different after using multi conduct for 4 years. I did pull an 1800s IH penny though. I think it will take some more practice however.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Jason. IH's are one of my favorites to find. It does take some time to get used to how it sounds vs. the multi audio mode. I also have my audio response set to long, this helps me make that blip of a singnal hold on longer. Another tip for TTF is to open up the screen. I have seen post by folks asking about running coin patterns and just opening up the bottom to see iron. The Etrac reacts to discrimination the same way even on a screw cap, so you can mask out good signals with upper screen discrimination in TTF. I set my Etrac up the way Goes4ever has on his website, by starting in relic mode. Also don't expect those perfect numbers to show on the screen. A lot of times when a good target is close to iron you will get a blend of the two signals. Hope this helps.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set mine up in G4Es pattern also. I'm trying to learn the sounds of conductives next to iron. It seemed like most of the iron targets gave some level of high-tone falsing blips. The stronger ones I dug with mixed results. 2 were large iron objects, 2 were brass buttons with iron backs.

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use TTF to "go where no detectorist has gone before" and do well. When I hear of an area that other operators refer to as the "junk yard", that's where I set the E up for TTF.
Yes, it is "chatty",
yes, it will wear you out,
yes, you will dig iron "falsies"
but YES you will pull Civil War buttons from "worked over" fields where other operators just can't, or won't sift through the iron.
And don't dismiss the stock coil due to it's 11" size, it WILL do you proud.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions