Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger
Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, got my tax return back and am ready to be a little self-indulgent and finally purchase the E-Trac that I've been considering for some time. I just need a few questions answered before I do. First I think the best place to go for a good deal (besides Ebay) is BigBoys Hobbies. If theres anywhere better please point me in the right direction. Secondly, I see they have package deals with detectors and I can't decide which would be better, the sunray x-1 pointer or the garret pro-pointer?I like the fact that the x-1 is in sync with the detector so you can determine what kind of metals your dealing with, but I also here the garrett gets more depth. Thirdly, it's not in any of their package deals, but I would like to also get a Sunray Stealth x-5(or if you know of a better coil for high trash) in the deal. If you've purchased through BigBoys before, any idea if I could get a better deal than under the standard $1,549 for all this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just call Bart and work out a deal. He's easy to get along with and will put together a great package for you.

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, whites xlt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree. Just bought my etrac yesterday from Bart at bigboyshobbies. Hes a great guy and will work with you. Good look to us all who are waiting for our etrac's!!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone!

As they said feel free to give me a call. I have many hours on the machine and can tell you the ins and outs. Even set you up with a killer out of the box setup that is EASY to learn! be glad to help!

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I finally went and purchased an E-Trac through BigBoys yesterday. It was hard laying down that kind of cash but after doing the research, I just couldn't see myself with any other detector. Went in with a few items in mind along with the detector but they were out of the Sun Ray x-1 as well as the Garrett pro-pointer. A little bummed, Bart upgraded me from the Garrett to the Minelab pointer(thanks Bart). Also had a little dilemma with the wife on the cost as we had agreed that I would spend no more than X$ out of our taxes. Bart worked with me as much as he could but in the end I had to sacrifice the Lesche digger from the bundle (I really wanted that!) to keep it under my limit. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my purchase which I was told should be getting shipped out Monday(can't wait!). When it get's here I'll post again along with the results of my first hunt at an old park that I've been waiting to hunt for some time now. HH to you all!

Last edited:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get it yet? I have decided the handheld probes are less cumbersome in the field than the Sun Ray probes. It's also a pain to change out a coil with the SR probe on the Etrac. Having a few extra lower shafts for the coils is helpful as well.
Well, I finally went and purchased an E-Trac through BigBoys yesterday. It was hard laying down that kind of cash but after doing the research, I just couldn't see myself with any other detector. Went in with a few items in mind along with the detector but they were out of the Sun Ray x-1 as well as the Garrett pro-pointer. A little bummed, Bart upgraded me from the Garrett to the Minelab pointer(thanks Bart). Also had a little dilemma with the wife on the cost as we had agreed that I would spend no more than X$ out of our taxes. Bart worked with me as much as he could but in the end I had to sacrifice the Lesche digger from the bundle (I really wanted that!) to keep it under my limit. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my purchase which I was told should be getting shipped out Monday(can't wait!). When it get's here I'll post again along with the results of my first hunt at an old park that I've been waiting to hunt for some time now. HH to you all!

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you get it yet? I have decided the handheld probes are less cumbersome in the field than the Sun Ray probes. It's also a pain to change out a coil with the SR probe on the Etrac. Having a few extra lower shafts for the coils is helpful as well.

Yep. Ordered it Friday and it was delivered on Tuesday while at work. Everything looks great and the Minelab pointer looks good and sturdy. I'll have to wait to test it out for a few more weeks until the weather warms up and all the snow we got yesterday melts(I think there calling for a few more inches next week too!). Right now I only have the standard 11 DD coil so I don't need to worry about the spare shafts yet (although I was thinking about it while trying to pull the coil through the shaft with a rope tied at one end. I can imagine this would be a real pain in the field). Eventually I'll probably go for the Sunray X-5 but for now I'm just trying to learn my machine. Just looking at the manual and reading through the Andy Sabisch book is pretty overwhelming. Hopefully it makes more sense once I get out there and actually experience the machine performing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread