New E-Trac

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, whites xlt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys. first time posting here. I ordered an etrac after 1 year of researching metal detectors. Been md for about 13 years. used nothing else but a whites xlt which i love. Decided its time to move on. I will get the etrac friday and plan to try it out sat. Any tips or suggestions from veteran users would be great! Kinda nervous. Im from Savannah Georgia. Thanks!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give yourself PLENTY of time to learn the E-Trac! When I moved from my White's to the E-Trac I was frustrated to say the least. The tones and responses are completely different from what you are used to. Give yourself AT LEAST 50 hours and probably 100 hours of use to really feel comfortable with it.

Read the owners manual several times.

Get a copy of Andy Sabich's book on the E-trac and read THAT several times.

Start out in a factory mode and LEAVE IT THERE. If you start making a bunch of constant changes in an effort to make it "right" it will take you much longer to really learn the machine. Once you know how the detector responds to targets and you fully understand what each setting change does , then you start playing with settings. Change one thing at a time.

Lastly, I always suggest new users start out in the playground areas. The targets are fresh, shallow, and easy to dig. It will give you the opportunity to see the responses to different targets and learn the pinpointing.

Oh, and get a good pinpointer. I love my SUNRAY, but the garret and minelab ones are good too.

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bryan,

I just got my Etrac not too long ago. My first find was a silver dime merc.

I have Sabisch's Book, great book.

Lots of stuff on Youtube also.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys. first time posting here. I ordered an etrac after 1 year of researching metal detectors. Been md for about 13 years. used nothing else but a whites xlt which i love. Decided its time to move on. I will get the etrac friday and plan to try it out sat. Any tips or suggestions from veteran users would be great! Kinda nervous. Im from Savannah Georgia. Thanks!

Congrats! AWESOME machines. Jason has some great advice!

OP
OP
Bryanhashemi

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, whites xlt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks for the responses! good advice here. i hve the sunray probe coming with it also with andys book. Looking forward too it!! thanks again. any other tips that pop in your head please send. And thanks Bart for the etrac!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for the responses! good advice here. i hve the sunray probe coming with it also with andys book. Looking forward too it!! thanks again. any other tips that pop in your head please send. And thanks Bart for the etrac!

Your very welcome! Holler with any questions! Remember I offer lifetime support with my machines I sell!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread