Minelab Elite for $280, fair price?

Daily Digger

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Just picked this unit up a few weeks ago it came with the meter on top I was hoping this was a fair price for this unit. I am just gettingback into metal detecting again after a 14 year break my last unit was the whites spectrum XL. I have taken the Elite out about 5 times in the last few weeks and have found about $8-$9 in clad and 5 silver rings. This unit loves to find nickels all day that are passed over by cheaper units. The recovery speed is a little slow but even with a large coil in trashy areas this unit will find the juice if you work it very slow. I pulled 2 of the silver rings out after my budy passed over them with his bounty hunter I passed the ring in front of his coils and his unit read nail/cap. He was pissed. Let me now if you have any tips or tricks for the Elite I would appreciate a y help. I just ordered a Tosoro V will have to see how that works out.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the elite is out dated
but still better then the best bounty hunter out there....

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$280 was a great price, especially if it came with the 180 meter. I don't use a meter, but being as they have been discontinued you can get a very good price for one in good condition.

Oh, and by the way, we don't really use the term "juice" for finds. :laughing7:

OP
OP
D

Daily Digger

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Got that from the TV show diggers, trying to keep up with the times lol. The Elite is like swinging a gallon of milk around a pretty good workout. But if the meter comes up as a 450 reading 98% of the time its a nickel. I hear this unit works great at the beach. You can pull out good finds next to trash if you slow down and work it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The Minelab Elite is far from being out dated ..... And is still a great detector...& Minelab will still repair them.... And for weight it does not weight any more than a Explorer or E trace or Safari ..... Your Elite is the same as the Water detector the Excalibur........ but is not water proof .......... So were they got out dated i don't know... They do not make them now but i run the Sovereign GT and they quit making them.....And you got a very good price... they are still selling for about $400.00 and at times more..... To me the Sovereign no matter what model are the best coin & jewelry detector Minelab ever put out and still is ....

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Daily Digger

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
The Minelab Elite is far from being out dated ..... And is still a great detector...& Minelab will still repair them.... And for weight it does not weight any more than a Explorer or E trace or Safari ..... Your Elite is the same as the Water detector the Excalibur........ but is not water proof .......... So were they got out dated i don't know... They do not make them now but i run the Sovereign GT and they quit making them.....And you got a very good price... they are still selling for about $400.00 and at times more..... To me the Sovereign no matter what model are the best coin & jewelry detector Minelab ever put out and still is ....

This is my first time using a forum I was looking forward to it for the people and informatipn about the hobby. It seems there are negitive people just like on YOUTUBE. I have over 3/4 million views of my videos and have met a lot of nice people from around the world. I hope this experience is like that. If there are a lot of trolls on this site i'll have to move on to a new forum. I am startind a new YouTube page on metal detecting to show some live digs and compare units.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my first time using a forum I was looking forward to it for the people and informatipn about the hobby. It seems there are negitive people just like on YOUTUBE. I have over 3/4 million views of my videos and have met a lot of nice people from around the world. I hope this experience is like that. If there are a lot of trolls on this site i'll have to move on to a new forum. I am startind a new YouTube page on metal detecting to show some live digs and compare units.
..I did not think i was being negative...... I was just trying to tell you when you have a Minelab Sovereign........ Be a Elite or any other Sovereign model you have a very good detector......I think the one that said the Elite is out dated really does not know much about the Minelab Sovereign.......

OP
OP
D

Daily Digger

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Yes its older and the recovery speed is slow for a trashy area but after running a whites for many years this unit works great if you work it slow around the junk. Well time to hit the parks.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes its older and the recovery speed is slow for a trashy area but after running a whites for many years this unit works great if you work it slow around the junk. Well time to hit the parks.....
...It is not slower it is a minelab multi freq. An the new one's have the same recovery speed .......You could go out and buy a new Minelab Sovereign or a new Minelab Excalibur or a new Minelab Safari. and some of there other new or older multi freq. detectors and old or new... They all have a slow recovery speed that is how they work.......

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they don't make it any more it's out dated just like my 5900 di pro there still great detectors I seen a 6000 di pro sell for more money on eBay than an mine elite.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If they don't make it any more it's out dated just like my 5900 di pro there still great detectors I seen a 6000 di pro sell for more money on eBay than an mine elite.
.... No not out dated you just have no knowledge of Minelab detectors.....

OP
OP
D

Daily Digger

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
This is what you get when you join a metal detecting forum, sad. I will have to brush up on my geek skills to join the pissing contest.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY good price. A great unit that is not outdated as an analog machine.
Just picked this unit up a few weeks ago it came with the meter on top I was hoping this was a fair price for this unit. I am just gettingback into metal detecting again after a 14 year break my last unit was the whites spectrum XL. I have taken the Elite out about 5 times in the last few weeks and have found about $8-$9 in clad and 5 silver rings. This unit loves to find nickels all day that are passed over by cheaper units. The recovery speed is a little slow but even with a large coil in trashy areas this unit will find the juice if you work it very slow. I pulled 2 of the silver rings out after my budy passed over them with his bounty hunter I passed the ring in front of his coils and his unit read nail/cap. He was pissed. Let me now if you have any tips or tricks for the Elite I would appreciate a y help. I just ordered a Tosoro V will have to see how that works out.

Ronfrommichigan

Jan 8, 2011
Oxford MI
Detector(s) used
All
The Minelab Sovereign Elite is a great detector.This detector is competitive with any unit made period.The Sovereign is great for worked out parks and jewelry.The price you paid $280.00 could net you $200.00 on a flip.My suggestion learn this detector and it will pay for itself every year.Good Luck HH Ron

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
excellent detector and will even be excellent 10yrs from now. you did real good, learn it well and it will reward you with some great finds and yes, they are absolutely awesome on beaches:coffee2:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The elite is a killer machine! I would buy them all day long to resale at that price . I bought mine for the beach but have been doing well with CW relics also. Great machine. :coffee2:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just saying Ive seen a lot of mine labs on sale and they sale for cheap and they don't make them any more but a white's 6000 dipro fetches more on the resale side and they don't make that any more either
you still got a deal

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liftloop: Just because a metal detector is no longer in production does not mean that it is out dated.
Often production is discontinued for financial reason(s) which have nothing to do with technical performance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions