Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I repair excaliburs, have you tried another coil. Excaliburs \ Sovereigns use the same BBS coils..Excalibur coils are famous for have wire issues.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think he's tried a different coil. I'll ask him to see if he had. He was thinking a short in the circuitry. I know he tried different phones and he had the same problem. So that's why he was thinking board as well.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Is he getting any audio / threshold? Or has audio, just no tones....on targets. I do know if one of the six wires break to the coil, there will be a threshold but no responce if a target is ran past the coil....2 transmit, 2 receivers, and two grounds.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tried to get a hold of him today, with no luck. I'll try tomorrow and possibly swing by to see for myself to see what it sounds like to better tell ya. I know he took it to a supplier by him and they didn't even suggest trying a new coil.
If he calls tomorrow I'll let ya know which sounds if any he's getting.

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My uncles Sovereign is on the fritz and they won't service it. Does anyone know of a place that will repair the board? He doesn't get tone from his headphones. So I'm thinking that that's the issue. Thinking that if board and headphone jack is connected. That the board has to be replaced.

Who won't service it?
Good luck

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had gone to check out what it was that his sovereign was doing.
One his speaker doesn't sound higher than if it was on low volume.
He has a cheaper set of phones. Like the kind that goes to a Walkman, but has a 1/4" jack.
The coil seems fine. It picks up an object and it does sound off. Just not loud on speaker.
With the phones plugged in. You can definitely hear the tones.
He touched the plug where the wires go in and you could get it to work as it should. So I'm thinking that its the wires going into the plug. It reminded me of when you drop the Walkman and it pulled on the headphones. A couple times after doing that and the plug would have to be held just right to work. So he's going to get another set of headphones.
Though that leads me to wonder about the speaker volume. It was turned up full blast and it sounded like it was stuck at low volume.
Is there a way to fix the knob/speaker so it'll work as it should.
Good news is that it looks like if he gets some new phones he could at least go out and detect.
Thoughts on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
set thur the tear down, see the difference ........water got into these causing issues

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was the sovereign xs

Top Member Reactions