Difference between the X-Terra 705 10.5" DD 7.5kHz Coil and the 9" Concentric 7.5kHz

Spider-Man

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Difference between the X-Terra 705 10.5" DD 7.5kHz Coil and the 9" Concentric 7.5kHz

I've seen the image showing how they detect, but I don't really know what the actual difference in finding things is. Is the DD better? They're both the same frequency, so aside from the actual size of the coil, I don't know what's different. Any advice that can steer me in the right direction would be great.

Making my first purchase soon, and it's either going to be the 705 stock, or the 705 gold pack. If the 10.5" DD is significantly better, I'll go with the gold pack and then buy the 10.5" DD later.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the ground that you're hunting has a higher than average level of mineralization, or a high trash density, then the DD will be an advantage. If not, then the 9" CC will actually more thoroughly cover ground, run a little deeper at it's center, and has the advantage of being waterproof as opposed to te 10.5" DD which is water resistant.

FWIW, I only keep my 9" CC around for comparative test purposes. I never hunt with it. But that's me in my conditions, with my set of requirements and expectations.

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the ground that you're hunting has a higher than average level of mineralization, or a high trash density, then the DD will be an advantage. If not, then the 9" CC will actually more thoroughly cover ground, run a little deeper at it's center, and has the advantage of being waterproof as opposed to te 10.5" DD which is water resistant.

FWIW, I only keep my 9" CC around for comparative test purposes. I never hunt with it. But that's me in my conditions, with my set of requirements and expectations.

I totally agree with everything longhair said. I have the gold, but haven't used it in over a year. I love the waterproof factor so when I come across a spring or creek, I have no worries! I haven't been carrying the other coil with me, but with the vines and weeds being really thick in some areas, I may put it on just to use the benefit of the smaller coil. I get sick of swearing at all the vines that grab my coil and won't let go! I loved the 9" CC when I was in Arizona and California in hopes of finding gold, but I found out that ADD and gold hunting don't go hand in hand! I got bored and needed to dig a few nails and other junk! LOL

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I bought the 705 Stock and later purchased the 10" DD. I hunt mostly hay/corn fields with some woods hunting thrown in. I have not put the stock coil on the machine in two years. I have hunted with both and I seem to find more, deeper targets with the 10" DD.

VPR

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
then the 9" CC will actually more thoroughly cover ground

Could you please expound on this? Are you talking about area per swing coverage or something else?

The concentric coil has in inner and outer coil. The outer being the transmit coil and the inner (much smaller) coil is the receive coil. So when you are overlapping your swings, it's the inner coil that needs to be overlapped. So on a 10" concentric how much smaller is the receive coil? Lets just call it 5" for argument sake.
On DD coil the transmit AND the receive coils run the length of the coil. So on a 10" DD you are getting 10" of receiving and on a 10" concentric you are getting 5" per swing. To me it would seem you get more thoroughly covered with a DD.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your premise that the detection field is only the size of the receive ring is erroneous. If it were true, than you'd never pick up anything below the surface around the coil edge.

And I was referring to total volume of ground being within the detection field, not area. Mind you it can result in good targets being more easily masked by bad ones, but since my comment was about areas clean of trash, by virtue of being in the detection field longer it will be more thorough.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the DD coil for my 705 but didn't end up keeping it. The coil is heavier than the stock and the machine didnt feel as balanced with it on. And when I used it I had more trouble distinguishing some junk sounds like bottle caps than with the concentric. I just couldn't get used to it and ended up trading it for a 6 inch coil.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen the image showing how they detect, but I don't really know what the actual difference in finding things is. Is the DD better? They're both the same frequency, so aside from the actual size of the coil, I don't know what's different. Any advice that can steer me in the right direction would be great.

Making my first purchase soon, and it's either going to be the 705 stock, or the 705 gold pack. If the 10.5" DD is significantly better, I'll go with the gold pack and then buy the 10.5" DD later.

My Current Question EXACTLY !!!!

Any further thoughts on this???

I wish they made a 705 DD coil version for like the 50 bucks more or something like they do other detectors ... but they don't so know I'm not sure if the stock CC coil will be something I would be fine with or wish I had the DD. I see the weight may a factor ... I need a light machine in total but don't want to sacrifice performance either.

I will be mainly coinshooting parks, homes, lots, whatever old places we can find that may have silver (love old coins more then anything .. gold even).

I am looking for a new detector and have narrowed it down to the AT Pro and this I think (the F70 and MX5 are still kinda in the running but not so much).

Just wanting to see if the stock coil is still good ... I would hate to have to spend $180 more ... in fact if that were the case I may end up just going with the AT Pro since I am on a budget.

Thanks for any further info you can provide on these two coils. :icon_thumright:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between the Standard and the Gold Pack, I would buy the Gold Pack, if for no other reason than the fact that the Gold Pack 5x10" HF DD is worth more to resell. For coin shooting in trash the 9" CC is NOT the hot ticket. Most coin shooters prefer the 10.5" 7.5kHz DD or the 6" Coiltek 3kHz "Digger", but even the 5x10" 18.75kHz coil will separate better than the Standard 9" (though not as deep).

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Come to find out I am able to get a 795 that does come stock with a DD coil .... But ... It's the 18.75khz version.

If I do a lot of coin hunting is that still a better coil being 10" DD and 18.75khz then the the 9" CC coil at 7.5khz?

I think I prefer the DD of course over CC but am I affected a lot for coin shooting being a higher 18.75 ???

Thanks so much for the info! :)

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as I said in my previous post, separation alone makes the 5x10" 18.75kHz DD a better choice of coils for a stock package. Accuracy on high conductors won't be as good as it would with a lower frequency, but it will work fine.
Eventually you'll want to purchase additional coils anyway, else there would be no reason to have bought a tailorable machine in the first place, but the 9" MF CC is probably the least useful available.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just as I said in my previous post, separation alone makes the 5x10" 18.75kHz DD a better choice of coils for a stock package. Accuracy on high conductors won't be as good as it would with a lower frequency, but it will work fine.
Eventually you'll want to purchase additional coils anyway, else there would be no reason to have bought a tailorable machine in the first place, but the 9" MF CC is probably the least useful available.

I missed that on your first reply.

So overall if I plan on starting out with this machine and I am not going to buy any extra coils to start it sounds Like I need to stay away from the basic 9" CC coil package! I do not want to go though with the 5x10 at the 18.75 and lose depth over the 9" concentric though since it's larger and runs ad 7.5khz.

Why is the package with the 5x10 small elliptical coil called the "Gold Pack" ... is that coil made more for gold hunting? (I will do 99% coin shooting).

But that 5x8" DD Elliptical coil is still running at 18.75Khz ... for what I hunt for don't I want to stay away from anything 18.75 really? If that is the case wouldn't you recommend the 9" Concentric 7.5 over the 5x10 DD HF 18.75 elliptical coil?

I got a PM from Metal Detector Stuff and he said they sell a 705 that comes with the DD coil but it was the 18.75khz ... but it sounds like though it's not the best option on Khz for what I search for but the DD 18.75 is better then the CC coil at 7.5 right? (but I lose depth?).

OR ... should I do like you said and buy the Gold Pack that comes with the 5x10 DD elliptical coil and sell it for a great price and throw in a few bucks to buy the 10" DD 7.5Khz coil ???

What coil would be in more demand for a forum member to want to purchase you think? I'm sure I could sell the DD 18.75 but would I get more for the 5x10 elliptical coil?

OR should I just go with the regular DD 18.75 and call it good or even the CC 7.5 and call it good?) ... is there a BIG enough advantage in the 18.75 or the 7.5 that constitutes the slight extra cost in the end (after low sale, shipping, extra cost to buy it, etc.) and all the hassle?

Thanks so much for the help and the information. :)

Side Question Longhair ... I see you have the Minelab 705 and also the Explorer SE .... I know the Explorers are amazing but how does the 705 compare in my kind of hunting? Thanks

Last edited:

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay I read the PM wrong from MetalDetectingStuff ..... They said they offer the 5x8" DD coil ... So what he was talking about was the Gold Pack.

I had thought he said he had a 705 with a stock DD 10" coil at 18.75khz

Soooo I am back at only two options again ... the 705 with 5x8" DD elliptical coil at 18.75khz ..... OR ........ the 705 with 9" CC round at 7.5khz

Sounds like what I am hearing from you is go with the 5x8" Elliptical DD @ 18.75 over the other correct?

I don't want to lose depth though ....

So I'm stuck with 2 options that are not best me and my hunting.

The 9" round CC at 7.5khz = Ok for coins due to 7.5khz but not a great coil being CC

5x8" DD elliptical coil at 18.75khz = better for separation but loss of depth and accuracy on high conductors (coins etc. I would assume?)

But overall it seems the 9" CC is not the right coil.

Maybe I should just go with the 5x10 DD elliptical even though is a HF and see how it does or sell it right away for a killer price and buy the 10" DD 7.5kgz coil???

Watcha Think?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, there is no 5x8" coil at all. The only coils available on new packaged units here in the States are the 9" MF CC and the 5x10" HF DD. The 9" MF CC has almost no resale market, while the 5X10" does enjoy some following primarily from beach hunters and prospectors.
That said, it is true that a lower frequency will be a better choice for coin shooting, but all coils will see all metals, so even though it's not the coil of choice for your intended purpose the 5x10" HF DD will still work, and it is worth more to resell if you decide to pursue a more suitable coil. As for depth, the 5x10" isn't the best, but in highly mineralized ground it may still be as deep as the 9" MF (the 6" LF DD is). A good first coil to add to the arsenal is the 10.5" MF DD. It is deep, honest, and separates as well as any 10.5" DD can.

FWIW, the 6" Coiltek 3kHz "Digger" coil is among the favorites for coin shooting. But, until it became available (a little less than 18 months ago) the 6" HF DD was a favorite for it's separation ability (being the only available 6" DD to that point), and coin shooters hunting trashy sites did just fine with them.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to create a new thread with more information on this coil situation for the X-Terra but I wanted to post this here as I found this great little guide from Fort Bedford Metal Detectors.

And Longhair you have been a god send in helping with these X-Terra questions I have and I hope I am not being to much of a pain. :)

Check this cool little chart out for X-Terra Coils and what they excel in or are not as good for etc. ..............................

x-terra-coils-comparison-table.jpg

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can add four Coiltek coils as well. The 6" 3kHz DD "Digger", and the 15" DD All Terrain in all three frequencies.

Coiltek TreasureSeeker and Xterra Coils.jpg

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

How much heavier is the 10.5" DD Coil as opposed to the stock 9" or even the 5x10 elliptical?

I had read on another forum that a guy went back to the stock coils and ultimately to the 6" Digger (though he said the depth was lost ... does the Digger lose a good amount of depth over the 10.5 DD?) due to the DD being SO much heavier and making the lighter overall detector Very unbalanced and hard to swing along with being heavier overall.

And why is the damn Digger coil friggin Brown??? LOL .... just a bit weird to me I guess.

I myself have a very bad back so the very light portion of this machine is one the Huge main features that I want.

So is there a large difference in weight between the stock coils and the 10.5" DD ... and those who use the DD do you feel it heavy and unbalanced or is this just this one guys opinion and not experienced by most others ???

Thanks so much. :)

Last edited:

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Digger coil is brown because it's made by coiltek. I have the gold pack with the 5x10 DD 18khz coil and it's well balanced. That coil doesn't weigh much at all. It's not water proof though. It's only water resistant. And the 9 inch CC is waterproof. If you aren't going in the water then I would suggest the gold pack and use it while you learn the machine.... and save up for another coil. Watch the want ads on all the detector forums and get a used one. That's your best value.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger coil is brown because it's made by coiltek. I have the gold pack with the 5x10 DD 18khz coil and it's well balanced. That coil doesn't weigh much at all. It's not water proof though. It's only water resistant. And the 9 inch CC is waterproof. If you aren't going in the water then I would suggest the gold pack and use it while you learn the machine.... and save up for another coil. Watch the want ads on all the detector forums and get a used one. That's your best value.

Ya I'm thinking about selling the 5x10 DD elliptical right away after I get it .... is there a market here for that coil? Seems like it is the most expensive overall and I would like to buy the 10.5" DD 5.7 at the same time as the detector and sell the 5x10 to recoup the 10.5" cost.

You think I could sell it fast here on the forum? What is a good going price for those brand new? I of course will sell less then you can buy form a dealer.

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Just call a forum sponsor and see if they can get you what you want. Some sell used items... so if they have inventory, maybe they could just sell you what you want. :dontknow: I would keep the 5x10 DD 18khz personally. But that's just me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread