Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger
Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, I have my Etrac but now I need to buy a digger before the weather clears up so I can get out there and do some detecting. Last one I had broke after a few months of use. I like the Lesche digger but I dont like the price. Is there something out there that's just as good (sturdy and can cut through roots) for half the price? Also I haven't taken my Etrac out hunting yet and would like some opinions on the best pattern to run in to learn this machine while at the same time being able to reach down far and see through the trash. Im reading the Andy Sabisch book right now and there's just so many options it's overwhelming.

cahil_2

Apr 27, 2012
West. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab e-trac,
Garrett Pro pointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator 31 Digger, Minelab pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Run it in the factory coins program. Auto +3 Sens gain 24. That is what I run and it will pop wheats and dimes at 11 inches with no problem.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Kellyco Gator. It works for me. Like most, you have to sharpen the blade from time to time.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Kellyco Gator. It works for me. Like most, you have to sharpen the blade from time to time.
I got tired of straightening mine. I'm sure that if I kept using it I'd break it.

I've tried just about everything. Bent and broke too many to remember, and the fact is that at the moment the Lesche is the best game in town for a hand digger. Some others can take the abuse, but none of them can do as neat a job.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got tired of straightening mine. I'm sure that if I kept using it I'd break it.

My Gator is three years old and has dug many holes in many types of soil. I keep it sharp and it works. It has never bent. I've never used a Lesche. I'm sure it is fine too.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up the diggers by Wilcox or Treasure Wise. They both look identical and I have been using the Treasure Wise diggers for over a decade (the SAME diggers).

As for the E-Trac, put it in a stock pattern and leave it there for a while. You need to learn how the detector responds and it's a LOT easier if you aren't making constant adjustments. In the mean time, get a copy of Andy Sabich's book on the E-Trac. Read that and the E-Trac owners manual several times to really get a solid grasp of what the settings do and how they work together.

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Run it in the factory coins program. Auto +3 Sens gain 24. That is what I run and it will pop wheats and dimes at 11 inches with no problem.

Thanks I'll try that and see how it goes.

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look up the diggers by Wilcox or Treasure Wise. They both look identical and I have been using the Treasure Wise diggers for over a decade (the SAME diggers).

As for the E-Trac, put it in a stock pattern and leave it there for a while. You need to learn how the detector responds and it's a LOT easier if you aren't making constant adjustments. In the mean time, get a copy of Andy Sabich's book on the E-Trac. Read that and the E-Trac owners manual several times to really get a solid grasp of what the settings do and how they work together.

Thanks, I looked up both diggers and I really like the look and price of the Treasure Wise. Only concern for me is that you might run a foul with the law from the look of it. You and me know what it's used for but it resembles a giant knife so much so that it could be taken for a weapon and exceed the legal blade length. I have the Sabisch handbook and instruction manual and am reading through both diligently. I might have to go back and read through it again but to my understanding you can go out into the field with a blank screen(maybe a little iron discriminated out) and as you start to locate targets you can hit the except/reject button and it will automatically build your pattern for you(or blank out that area of the item on the screen). If so it sounds like the way to go wherever applicable.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche is the best I've used: you could run over it with a tank and it would be fine. Might be more expensive but you get what you pay for. You would likely never need to replace it either.

I've tried just about everything. Bent and broke too many to remember, and the fact is that at the moment the Lesche is the best game in town for a hand digger. Some others can take the abuse, but none of them can do as neat a job.

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lesche is the best I've used: you could run over it with a tank and it would be fine. Might be more expensive but you get what you pay for. You would likely never need to replace it either.

Yea your probably right. The only reason I haven't already got one is the wife giving me crap on how much I've already spent on this hobby. I'll have to do one of three things: Convice her that a good trowel is essential and worth the investment as I'll never need to replace it hopefully, buy a cheap one from Wal-Mart (and hope it lasts a while) for now or get lucky on a good deal online, or just go ahead and buy one and take the abuse for a week or two :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I looked up both diggers and I really like the look and price of the Treasure Wise. Only concern for me is that you might run a foul with the law from the look of it. You and me know what it's used for but it resembles a giant knife so much so that it could be taken for a weapon and exceed the legal blade length. I have the Sabisch handbook and instruction manual and am reading through both diligently. I might have to go back and read through it again but to my understanding you can go out into the field with a blank screen(maybe a little iron discriminated out) and as you start to locate targets you can hit the except/reject button and it will automatically build your pattern for you(or blank out that area of the item on the screen). If so it sounds like the way to go wherever applicable.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. i wasn't referring to the "blade" model. Both of those companies produce different sized digger from heavy guage stainless steel with a rolled handle. They are incredibly strong and only cost around $10.

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I should have been more clear. i wasn't referring to the "blade" model. Both of those companies produce different sized digger from heavy guage stainless steel with a rolled handle. They are incredibly strong and only cost around $10.

Ok, yea these are pretty nice. The only thing that would make these better would be a serrated edge on one side for roots.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been usen the Treasure Wise and Wilcox diggers for over 20 years great diggers...i have Lesche too.... but $ 4 $ Treasure Wise can`t be beat.
I used to sell all three years ago too...never had 1 complaint.
Gary

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, yea these are pretty nice. The only thing that would make these better would be a serrated edge on one side for roots.

The serrated edge is more of a marketing gimmick than any thing. I can understand that a few might find it occasionally helpful, but lets examine real-world. What types of roots do encounter 99% of the time? It's grass and weeds roots. I have never had any trouble cutting through any of those with straight side diggers. So what about the bigger roots, like from trees and bushes? You honestly need a saw blade to cut these. The wide, rough serrations on diggers are highly inefficient at cutting through these "real roots". Even a sharpened pocket knife will cut through woody roots better.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason is right. The diggers will most likely get through the smaller tree roots if it's all you have, but if you are in a wooded area where they are found get a predator digger or similar, and save the Treasure Wise or Lesche for their intended purpose...efficiently digging plugs in average conditions without the worry of breakage.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picture 103.jpg I use this Lesche in the woods

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the teeth on the Lesche help quite a bit to cut through 1/2" roots and smaller. I can draw it against the root with an upward motion and usually slices through with one pass on the smaller roots. In the yard ive been hunting I have had to do this several times. Some common yard shrubs and plants have some pretty extensive root systems that are hard to quickly penetrate and pinpoint an object through.
Jason is right. The diggers will most likely get through the smaller tree roots if it's all you have, but if you are in a wooded area where they are found get a predator digger or similar, and save the Treasure Wise or Lesche for their intended purpose...efficiently digging plugs in average conditions without the worry of breakage.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the teeth on the Lesche help quite a bit to cut through 1/2" roots and smaller. I can draw it against the root with an upward motion and usually slices through with one pass on the smaller roots. In the yard ive been hunting I have had to do this several times. Some common yard shrubs and plants have some pretty extensive root systems that are hard to quickly penetrate and pinpoint an object through.

I'm talking about a wooded situation where you are encountering roots in the majority of holes, the lesche has the serated edge so you can do what you said without being stopped. I just think if you know you're going to have a lot of roots there are more efficient tools.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using a jackson 7 in 1 for about 5 years now and it works great and have no problems with it at all, I can cut through most any of the roots I have come across. i picked it up at either Lowes or Home depot. only set me back about $30.

jackson7_1.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread