I WANT TO SCREAM!! Need good advice. PLEASE between these two minlabs

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I WANT TO SCREAM!! Need good advice. PLEASE between these two Minelabs

I bought a brand new 705 Gold that comes with the extra coil for coin shooting in things, however, after reading more about detectors I also ordered a Explorer SE PRO.... AAAArgh! I cant make my mind and I need to send one back, I havent recieved either yet and should get the 705 in 2 days. I live in Ga with lots of red dirt, heavy minerlized soil and tons of hot rocks. I live in the gold belt near the etowah river and have a brother thats lives in Quartzsite,AZ. I like the idea of finding gold and sounds fun. But I also enjoy relic shooting and from what I have read the explorer is pretty good with this. I wish there was a prospect mode on the explorer! uuugh! I wish I could keep both but the morgage wont get paid if I do this :P. I wish the Explorer found fakes and nuggets. I wish the 705 was a multi frequency machine like the SE PRO. Need serious advice fast...help me with this one MineLab Guuroooos!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no right answer. The 705 is a fantastic machine, but unless you are out in Arizona (or some other Western State where nuggets are more likely to be found) more than 50-percent of the time, I would go with the Explorer SE in a heartbeat. You can take that machine ANYWHERE, dirt, dry sand, wet saltwater sand, farm fields, parks, and get very good depth and discrimination. It Does Not Shoot Small Gold Nuggets under 1-gram at depth. Get the Explorer, save some dough, then get a used Fisher Goldbug II.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, they make a good pair. I have both and use both.
However, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Explorer will have a new home before the Xterra....and I'm not a nugget hunter.

Heck, just pick one. They're both great machines, and you won't be disappointed with either one.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep the SE it's a better all around machine.

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The SE is the winner...When it pays its self off I 'll get a nice gold metal detector to go with it. Thanks for your input.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no right answer. The 705 is a fantastic machine, but unless you are out in Arizona (or some other Western State where nuggets are more likely to be found) more than 50-percent of the time, I would go with the Explorer SE in a heartbeat. You can take that machine ANYWHERE, dirt, dry sand, wet saltwater sand, farm fields, parks, and get very good depth and discrimination. It Does Not Shoot Small Gold Nuggets under 1-gram at depth. Get the Explorer, save some dough, then get a used Fisher Goldbug II.
I agree the se pro seems to be a good machine machine my friend hunts with 1 ...as for gold negative its not the unit to have for shooting nuggets unless there of decent size...it had a hard time picking up 1.5 grams of gold at 2 inches in an air test

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The SE is the winner...When it pays its self off I 'll get a nice gold metal detector to go with it. Thanks for your input.

Well good luck and can't wait to see what you find

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey "Ihate" - change your name to "Ilove" and keep both of em - LOL - HH

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a brand new 705 Gold that comes with the extra coil for coin shooting in things, however, after reading more about detectors I also ordered a Explorer SE PRO.... AAAArgh! I cant make my mind and I need to send one back, I havent recieved either yet and should get the 705 in 2 days. I live in Ga with lots of red dirt, heavy minerlized soil and tons of hot rocks. I live in the gold belt near the etowah river and have a brother thats lives in Quartzsite,AZ. I like the idea of finding gold and sounds fun. But I also enjoy relic shooting and from what I have read the explorer is pretty good with this. I wish there was a prospect mode on the explorer! uuugh! I wish I could keep both but the morgage wont get paid if I do this :P. I wish the Explorer found fakes and nuggets. I wish the 705 was a multi frequency machine like the SE PRO. Need serious advice fast...help me with this one MineLab Guuroooos!

The 705 is a multi-frequency machine. 3kHz,7.5kHz,18.75kHz

kymoyers

Greenie
Mar 7, 2013
Wingo, Ky
Detector(s) used
none at present. I plan to purchase another one. It will probably be a f75 or t2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never owned a 705, but I did own and used on a regular basis an Explorer SE. I no longer own it, because I sold out and quit for a year, recently got back into the hobby and purchased a T2 from a forum member. I hunted a spot in Union City, Tn that people had finally given up on, with my Exp Se when I had it. I dug 43 silver coins from depths all the way down to 10 and 11." A lot of people didn't believe there could be anything there, but the Explorer proved them wrong. I was hunting with a friend that used a Fisher F75, and he was very good with it, but he was totally blown away with the deep coins I was digging on that site. In all honesty nothing beats the top of the line Minelabs on deep Silver. They ID silver very good or much better than anything I have ever used. The more expensive Minelabs are heavy machines, but I just put the coil on the ground, and that takes the weight off my arm. They are awesome units when you learn them. I really was amazed at the depth that they can ID Silver and that has left a lasting impression in my mind. To really hunt deep with them though requires that you hunt very slow, and let me emphasize SLOW. The screens are also hard to see, especially in the sunlight, but I learned when hunting for silver to just listen for that high tone and then look at the screen. I hope no one is offended by my statements about the Minelabs, but it's my honest feeling. If this is all true then why did I purchase a T2, just getting back into the hobby? Because, I like the recovery speed of the Fisher line of detectors and they are also very light units with exceptional depth. There are many other brands out there that other hunters favor, which are also good units. Sorry for the rambling on, but if you are willing to hunt slow and I mean very slow and the deep silver is there, then I believe there is no better machine to do the job Than an Exp or E-trac Minelab.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 705 is a multi-frequency machine. 3kHz,7.5kHz,18.75kHz
The V-Flex platform Xterra 505/705 can run three separate frequencies, but only one at a time, determined by coil selection.
The FBS platform machines pick three frequencies from 28 to run virtually at once, regardless of coil choice.
Two totally different animals....which is why I have both.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a few...

Started in the 70's with a Fisher 555 D.. Since then BH Time Ranger, Fisher Goldbug 2, Goldbug pro, F75's.. Garret 1350, AT pro, Infinium,, Minelab explorer II, Exterra 70,SE pro, Etracs.. Tesoro Tejon.. Teknetics G2, T2 SE... Whites M6's and V3, V3I.... Also most of the coils for them...
I traded my Erac for a Whites V3, V3I sold it and back to a Etrac.. Would like to play with a Fisher F75 LTD also Minelab CTX3030 which proably I'll get a chance to try this season...

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 705 is a killer machine but the SE and 28 frequencies can not be beat for what I like to do!

Holler with any questions!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread