Whats the best Pinpointer? Minelab Pro-Find 25 or Garrett ProPointer? HELP PLEASE

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have the garrett and it is great but it does false. It got so bad I had to send it in. They replaced it and after about 8 months it is starting, to false again. I really believe it is a issue where dirt gets down into the speaker. If it starts falsing you can jar it against your hand and it will stop. I could be wrong but to me it sure seems like that's the problem. I think I am going to put some silicone over the speaker after cleaning it up really well.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the garrett and it is great but it does false. It got so bad I had to send it in. They replaced it and after about 8 months it is starting, to false again. I really believe it is a issue where dirt gets down into the speaker. If it starts falsing you can jar it against your hand and it will stop. I could be wrong but to me it sure seems like that's the problem. I think I am going to put some silicone over the speaker after cleaning it up really well.

What will stop the falsing usually is replacing the batteries even though they say good on an indicator. I bought a set of rechargeable 9 volts and change them out every other hunt. People will say to place a spacer between the tail cap and the back of the battery but this only helps to a certain extent and you don't want something too thick. I placed a piece of 1/8 inch rubber in my tail cap and it pushed the battery connectors down so far that they will now not contact on one side.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With those problems, I don't know how you can still call that pin pointer "great". :icon_scratch:

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Well, it has saved me a ton of time finding a target, which has gave me more time to detect. it's the best pinpointer I have owned. Maybe great is a strong word, but I think everyone gets what I meant. I would love to have the sunray but they quit making it. When this one breaks, I plan on trying something different. Maybe the minelab or the new one kellyco has, I forget the name of it, vulcan maybe.......

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the TinyTec and Uniprobe on land, and the Vibraprobe in the water. Never had a single issue with any of them. I got the TinyTec in 1992, The Uniprobe 2 years ago, and the Vibraprobe in 2011.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
What about the latest improved version of the Garrett?

Take a look to the White's TRX, not for short omni range, but excellent for certain use..

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705 and CTX 3030. Garrett Pro Pointer and Garrett AT pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wonder the same thing. Is it called ProPointer AP or AT ? I have only seen one picture of one but other than that I can't find any other info.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
here's the new Garrett

Pro_Pointer_AT.jpg

There is an other player on the waterproof / submersible market as well from DETEKNIX , should be lunched in Q1/Q2 as advertized...

underwater-pinpointer.jpg

Underwater Pinpointer metal detector for dive scuba - DETEKNIX design and produce metal detectors for hobby and security

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the Garrett Pro Pointer and the White's TRX both work very well for me, with the slight advantage going to the Pro Pointer.

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett pro-pointer has been the best money I ever spent other than the detector. Even though my 2 year old pro-pointer works flawlessly I would sure like to purchase the new AT when it comes out. The AT price with all it's features will still be less than the Minelab pointer and a better product for the money. IMHO.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no perfect pinpointer I'm afraid

latest Whites TRX is great for depth, Pro Finder is great for Omni directional detection, Garrett is more stable but lacks of power, Vibra tector are waterproof but not easy to use.

If only a brand could make a SINGLE great detector!!!!

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong with the Garrett. You are going to love it . Happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread