Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. Not really.
The only thing that will truly help in heavy trash is a smaller coil that will allow you to isolate each object.

OP
OP
dholland02

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why am I getting so much false signals

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could be a number of things. Too much Sens, EMI, Iron, etc...
Are they really false, or have you dug any to be sure that it's not iron? Are you running any Disc? Sensitivity maxed out like you did with your Ace? Cellphone in your pocket? Undergound fence or powerlines nearby?

A little more info would help.

OP
OP
dholland02

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havnt changed nothing, have been running it in factory presets.

Whata happening is ill get a iffy signal but repeated signal dig it put my sun ray in the hole nothing. Rescan it and nothing

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're hunting in Factory Preset mode, and if you Noise Cancelled, then a lot of possibilities are off the table.
Now most of my suspicion is that you're swinging too fast. It's common with new Minelab users. Each sweep with the coil should take a good 3 seconds. You should be able to go slow enough to isolate each tone.

Also, do not chase chirps. Coins will have a distinct clear coin sized tone.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
First, take the coil cover off and clean it then put it back on. If that doesn't help, turn you sensitivity down a little if you are getting some falsing. Some areas will cause some falsing.
You may be picking up some interference so try a different spot and see if that changes.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dholland,

Remember any time you change anything in the settings, you have to do the noise cancel...even if you click your sensitivity down one...hit noise cancel....I've also read and heard that the "coil needs to be on the ground when doing noise cancel"..make sure that you can hear the threshold before doing the noise cancel...constant hum....there can't be anything under the coil.

Just go slow...this is normal in trashy areas....listen for the high tones...then swing back over them slow...if it repeats...dig it....

that is the trick in trashy areas....you will hear a lot of flutes and bleeps.....you have decide and listen for the good ones....it takes a while to get used too....50 to 100 hours.

By the way it sounds..this may have answered your question....I'm not sure what else is going on with it..unless I was there...so this is just my opinion and something you can try....good luck...if you continue to have problems...post them....and maybe some of us on here can figure it out....HH..good luck

OP
OP
dholland02

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna try to hold the coil on the ground when I noise cancel it. I waa always holding it about a foot above like manuals say.

Thanks for the advice

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's how I do it with both of my Minelabs, and I never have an issue. Doing it on the ground is just plain wrong.

I don't thinks so Longhair....I've read it numerous times on other forums...if you have Andy Sabisch's book on the Safari and Quattro...turn to page 23 there are several bullets..the first bullet states and this is quoted right from the book:

"Place coil on the ground (yes on the ground....various Minelab FBS-based detector manuals differ in how this should done from on the ground to 18" above it but remember, you are planning to search with the coil as close to the ground as possible so this is where your coil should be when you perform a Noise Cancel"

I would think this guy knows what he is talking about...I do it everytime..and never had a problem

So if you think its just wrong...look it up....I have over 100 or more hours with this machine...this procedure has never failed me.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bit more time on FBS that you, but what it really boils down to is preference, just like so may things in this hobby. It's whatever works for you and your circumstances. I shouldn't have used the word "wrong"....my bad.

It's my opinion that I want the machine to pick the cleanest channel regardless of where the coil is, which to me means that if I allow it to pick one with the coil further from the ground than I'm likely to swing (but not too high), then I'm exposing it to any EMI that may be an issue and it can make the proper choice. If I were to do it on the ground, then a certain amount of the coil is effectively shielded, meaning that if not constantly scrubbing the ground, the posibility of interference not delt with goes up. I can't even say that I hunt many places where ground scrubbing is possible with an open coil.

I hunt with an Explorer SE, and guru Bryce Brown likes hunting with his sensitivity @ 26 Auto, yet others (including Sabisch) say that the machine adjusts too much so you should never run in Auto for maximum depth. So who's wrong really? All have good finds to back up their positions.

Again I have to say that it's up to you, on your ground, with your EMI, your headphones, your threshold preference, your coil selection, etc... Experiment to find what works. And what works one place might not work at another, just as what works for one of us might not work for another.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a bit more time on FBS that you, but what it really boils down to is preference, just like so may things in this hobby. It's whatever works for you and your circumstances. I shouldn't have used the word "wrong"....my bad.

It's my opinion that I want the machine to pick the cleanest channel regardless of where the coil is, which to me means that if I allow it to pick one with the coil further from the ground than I'm likely to swing (but not too high), then I'm exposing it to any EMI that may be an issue and it can make the proper choice. If I were to do it on the ground, then a certain amount of the coil is effectively shielded, meaning that if not constantly scrubbing the ground, the posibility of interference not delt with goes up. I can't even say that I hunt many places where ground scrubbing is possible with an open coil.

I hunt with an Explorer SE, and guru Bryce Brown likes hunting with his sensitivity @ 26 Auto, yet others (including Sabisch) say that the machine adjusts too much so you should never run in Auto for maximum depth. So who's wrong really? All have good finds to back up their positions.

Again I have to say that it's up to you, on your ground, with your EMI, your headphones, your threshold preference, your coil selection, etc... Experiment to find what works. And what works one place might not work at another, just as what works for one of us might not work for another.

Thanks for the apology...I was just trying to give him something different to try....the method I described above works for me...it may work for him.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a different area where there is no trash. Once you determine that nothing is wrong with the settings, go back to the area where you were getting all the chatter. If your hunting in all metal mode or even relic mode, it's very sensative to most everything down there. Could be a large area of rusty nails. The machine picks up the signal, but then determine's that it's not such a solid target. Listen for the signals that have clear defined "edges" when swinging the coil in both directions. Also, remove your coil cover and rinse both the coil and the cover.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread