Safari newbie question on coil

moonshiner

Feb 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my Safari this week and have been hitting severly trashy areas that are making me want to give up, 4 1800"s foundations and a burned down civil war town. Only have one coin 1888 v nickel about 8 inches down, still learning it is my first detector. Was wondering what coil would help me to best seperate out the trash, I think there is a ton of overlapping that is killing me. Have been reading the advice to others given on here and has helped, have ordered the safari book haven't got it yet. The old foundations are giving me alot of higher chirps that I can't ever find, what would be the right way to work old foundations, going to have a ton of the them to do that's why I'm thinking on a better coil and any advice would be appreciated.

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
Just got my Safari this week and have been hitting severly trashy areas that are making me want to give up, 4 1800"s foundations and a burned down civil war town. Only have one coin 1888 v nickel about 8 inches down, still learning it is my first detector. Was wondering what coil would help me to best seperate out the trash, I think there is a ton of overlapping that is killing me. Have been reading the advice to others given on here and has helped, have ordered the safari book haven't got it yet. The old foundations are giving me alot of higher chirps that I can't ever find, what would be the right way to work old foundations, going to have a ton of the them to do that's why I'm thinking on a better coil and any advice would be appreciated.

All you need is a smaller coil. Smaller coil = more accurate when you pinpoint and detect in general.

I'm not familiar with that brand so idk all I know is you'll want a smaller coil.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you need to go to less trashy areas first to learn your detector and after about a hundred hours or so you should be an ace with the detector I hunt severely trashed spots and find stuff no problem with 10x12sef coil which is bigger you just need to slow way down and take smaller shorter swings and work a grid to make sure your hitting all of it and try different directions

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a site like that, I would want to dig all targets so I'd put the machine in all metal, grid the place, and remove everything that makes a sound. If you just want to cherry pick the coins, get as small a coil as you can for your machine.

OP
OP
M

moonshiner

Feb 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, ya I kind of wanted to just go after it, today I dug up a metal box about 2 1/2 feet deep only thing left of it was the top and found about 15 small bones under it, bones appear to be human (infant) kind of freaked me out somewhat, it wasn't marked in any way. I reburied as soon as possible, would that be possible this site is really old, has anybody else ever came across something like that. Going after a smaller coil asap, I just would like to work the old stuff, Ya going to practice learning the tones a alot, if I dug the trash I would probably need a dump truck it seems. What coil would anybody suggest to get so as not to waste any money just want to do it right the first time, thanks again

Kyboy

Dec 27, 2009
Hardin county KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Minelab Explorer II
Garret GTAX 550
Small coil...get a Sunray X-5. It's a beast in a trash laden site. Will separate targets easily and goes deep. It's a necessity I feel for any minelab fbs owner.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, ya I kind of wanted to just go after it, today I dug up a metal box about 2 1/2 feet deep only thing left of it was the top and found about 15 small bones under it, bones appear to be human (infant) kind of freaked me out somewhat, it wasn't marked in any way. I reburied as soon as possible, would that be possible this site is really old, has anybody else ever came across something like that. Going after a smaller coil asap, I just would like to work the old stuff, Ya going to practice learning the tones a alot, if I dug the trash I would probably need a dump truck it seems. What coil would anybody suggest to get so as not to waste any money just want to do it right the first time, thanks again

Dude....there are certain things you just DON'T POST....this is one of them^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you think we really want to read that?

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another thing.....you said it only "kinda freaked you out".....Kinda? Ya think?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind people posting whatever they find......good, bad, or ugly......

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stock Safari coil will drive you nuts in extremely high trash areas. If there's multiple beeps with every swing, get the Sunray 5" coil. I got the small one for my Safari { love the safari by the way }, but as someone already said, get some experience with that machine first in some less trashy areas. Going straight to a trashy heap when learning the Safari might disuade you from detecting ever again lol!

halfstep

May 11, 2010
On a site like that, I would want to dig all targets so I'd put the machine in all metal, grid the place, and remove everything that makes a sound. If you just want to cherry pick the coins, get as small a coil as you can for your machine.

There in no why I could detect in all metal and dig everything. I would be stuck on the same foundation forever.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well when i do any foundation i have permission and most of them are a ways from the owner house... most are farmers and know about dirt and diggin so i take a big shovel and dig the crap and the treasure out .. with my Lesche LS 28" Land Shark i can tear it up,I take out metal and cover holes..i like 2 or 3 different targets in 1 big scoop full, this ain`t no front yard dig.....heck them old stone foundations look bad when i get there and have less metal in them when i leave...But i dig big holes and don`t fool around with over lapin targets lol they are all targets....ya my pants fall down from all the scrap metal in my pockets,but i score some good stuff.
Gary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread