Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Need some advice on getting good depth from my new Etrac. Used it for a few hours and have dug some silver dimes at around 5-6", was hoping for better. Maybe it's my settings, I'm using factory coin program and a custom one that I created, running manual sensitivity 28, multi-tones, 10x12 sef coil. I buried a silver dime at 8", machine will not detect it at depth. Air testing seems to be ok. If I run my Explorer 2 over it, dime hits hard even with coil an inch or two above target. Just wondering if that's normal. I know most good coins are at 6-7", but I've been hitting a lot at 9+ with the Explorer.

Hoping for some advice, thanks.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting...maybe one of the veteran Etrac guys here can chime in. Must be something to do with your settings? Seems with that big coil you should have no problem hitting it. I would say maybe it's because it's freshly buried, but if you are hitting it with the Explorer, that would seem to rule that scenario out.:icon_scratch:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab multi frequency machines DO NOT air test well and are terrible at freshly buried objects. They need at least a year in ground to get any kind of accurate test.

Generally silver is not that deep, average 4-8 inches. Real deep ones are harder to hear. You have to really be listening and know what your listening to to find them. 4-6 inchers are much more pronounced. It takes experience and a keen silver ear.

Keep at it! If your finding sliver your ahead of the game! ;)

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take the coil you are using on the Explorer and put it on the Etrac. If it will not hit the same coin, (providing its not nulling on it) then you have a problem with the SEF. Using the 10 x 12 SEF at 28 WILL hit that coin providing the coil is OK.

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Jeff, I tried your advice. The 10x12 sef coil on my Explorer 2 hits the dime easily at 8".
The same coil on the Etrac does not.
The Etrac w/pro coil does not hit the dime at 8", reburied dime at 7" and can get it to squeak.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Jeff, I tried your advice. The 10x12 sef coil on my Explorer 2 hits the dime easily at 8".
The Etrac w/pro coil does not hit the dime at 8", reburied dime at 7" and can get it to squeak.

E-Tracs do NOT test well with fresh buried targets. I can hit dimes at 8 inches just fine in the real-world conditions.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have a SunRay on the Etrac? I am trying to eliminate all variables. I would assume that you have already thought of any "variables" and already covered them. If you have done so and assuming you have a basic understanding of the Audio menu on the Etrac, then I must think there could be something wrong with your Etrac.

It sounds like there is a BIG difference in depth. I had three different Explorers in the past and two Etracs.

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say something that may upset people here and they will emphatically disagree with me.

Plain and simple,

The Explorers I had were just a little deeper than either of my Etracs.

I had the XS, EXII and SE Pro.

Yes the Etrac is more stable and may run a little smoother but from one machine to the other the Explorer is deeper. The XS I had and sold to my hunting buddy is a good bit deeper than my new Etrac. I am talking side by side on the same coin.

Just last weekend he was at 22 semi-auto. Now many of us know that means the XS will not go above said number. I had my Etrac on Auto+3 running at 26. The XS could sing on that measured 9-1/2" green, corroded Wheat just fine. I had PP'ed it an marked it with a golf tee because I am trying to teach him how to use his machine. No way my Etrac could hear it down at 22 manual.

Just in-case you are curious, I also set up his machine because he is as green at MD'ing as that Wheat was green.

I prefer the Etrac but the Explorers have more RAW power that the Etrac!

I don't know what more to say about your Etrac other than its possible that something is "out of tune".

Now I am wondering if I should click "Post Quick reply" because this may Stir the pot.

Jeff

Last edited:

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are only two ways to improve depth without changing coils.

1. Increase the sensitivity setting 2. Decrease the DISC'd area

For post-processing: Turn Recovery Deep ON. Turn Recovery Fast OFF

If you still can't acquire the silver dime it is probably because your Explorer2 is hotter than your E-Trac. There is some variability within the same detectors that affects performance and greater variability between brands. If you could also find someone with an E-Trac and have them try, just to see if variation in the same detectors might be the reason. If they can and you can't - then your E-Trac is perhaps not as responsive as others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread