Grey Ghost Underwater HeadPhones and the CTX?

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a set because they are the better of the two offered out there.
But these HeadPhones are to Quite. I can barely hear them in the house never mind near the surf.
Did you guys figure out a way to make them louder?
They fit great but I BOOSTED up my Volume GAIN on the CTX to max and it didn't even seem to matter still to quite.
Want to get these working because they are comfortable and don't fall off my head like the stockers do.

And from what I have been reading the MINELAB water proofs are to quite too so I am thinking it is the CTX with the issue.

Last edited:

Del Digger

Mar 22, 2006
Wilmington, DE
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett GTAX400, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a set of Grey Ghost with my x-terra 705. I am also disappointed with their performance. I only have limited volume adjustment, that is, I can only hear anything on the last 2 detents. I have complained to both the dealer and the manufacturer and neither has acknowledged there is any problem or tried to address the issue. I will never buy any headset in the Grey Ghost line or recommend them.

DelDigger

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an impedance issue.
Maybe an impedance matching transformer jack would help? It obviously wouldn't do any good for underwater phones, but for land use maybe?

OP
OP
GreenMeanie

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping maybe there was some way to fix them. Hell I would even send them back to have them fixed right so I can hear them. I have sensitive hearing too and usually run my detector a little quite. But this is way to quite to even hear smaller targets or deep targets.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like an impedance issue.
Maybe an impedance matching transformer jack would help? It obviously wouldn't do any good for underwater phones, but for land use maybe?
They have a univeral tranformer in them to make them work for all detectors since some Detectors are AC and some are DC current output. Best thing to do is gut them and put skullies UW speakers, I have done 5 sets now for unhappy GGUW owners, increasing audio to 70 percent better. The last set I did for a CTX hunter this is what he said...Night and Day difference, now I'm doing his 2 excaliburs and a backup set of the GGUW's....
OBN0038.jpg
And one more thing on the GGUW's, I will be testing some new ones soon, GreyGhost Amphibians..much improved with a little bit of guidance from what I seen they needed...Very excited about these new ones....FROM the test results I have seen sofar...GOOD STUFF, and I should have a set in a few weeks to give them a run on the beach. Will keep all posted.

. OBN0003.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GreenMeanie

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn maybe I should send these back and wait for the new ones then.
Was hoping maybe I could add something INLINE to boost the signal LOL.
So to fix this set I would have to add new speakers and that is it?

What actually makes the headphones water proof just the GOOP they throw on the internals?

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with all manufactors they see Piezo benders as the only alternate. I had a talk with one of the Big guys from one of the bigger detector companies and told them they would start a revolution with the skullies if they would put them on there UW detectors. He said to much work to produce them, I shared the idea of how they were made, his answer...too costly and not time effecient.

If your looking for the best Water hunting HP's, then Skullies are the one's, none can match the performance of the Audiosears 2463 speaker.

So to fix this set I would have to add new speakers and that is it?

What actually makes the headphones water proof just the GOOP they throw on the internals?

Goretex and aquaseal for the skullies, GGUW's they use some type of plastic from a glue gun.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
uhh...I was planning on ordering these for the ctx

bear2442

Greenie
Oct 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
treasure baron
whites treasure master pi
underwater discriminator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the new GGUWs look

Last edited:

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For under $60.00 you can buy a connector and waterproof earbuds that are much louder. Just made up a set.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread